podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

SkateCast #47: my interview with David Jenkins, 1960 Oly Gold Medalist

Episode #47 of the Manleywoman SkateCast is up.

David Jenkins won the bronze in the 1956 Olympics, gold in the 1960 Olympics, as well as winning three World Championships and four US titles. He was an amazing jumper in his day, truly one of the few skaters doing triples at all, and was the first person to figure out how to land a triple axel (see the 1957 video here on YouTube). He talks about training with his brother Hayes Jenkins (1956 Oly Champ), how he loathed figures, and his insanely sparse training schedule.

Listen via the iTunes Store or from my website.

There is also a contest with this podcast: a lucky listener can win a private box to Skate For Hope in Columbus, OH on June 18, 2011, which raises tens of thousands of dollars each year for breast cancer research and prevention. The box fits six people, so you can bring your five closest skating buddies. The cast is amazing and includes: Ryan Bradley, Johnny Weir, Rachel Flatt, Yankowskas/Coughlin, Emily Hughes, and Sarah Hughes as emcee. Details o how to enter are here.

Please spread the word about the giveaway to friends everywhere. Every ticket from Skate For Hope contributes $$$ to Breast Cancer research, and its a great event, so even if you don't win, I hope you can buy tickets to go.

Also, please let me know about the sound quality of the interview. This is the second one I've done from my laptop at home: for some reason when I listen to it initially after it's mixed down it sounds perfect, but when I convert it to an MP3, it sounds tinny, at least to me. This doesn't happen when I do them from my desktop at work. So I wonder if there's something I need to adjust somewhere.

Thanks
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

moving right along
    vCash
    Wheeeeeee! I'm downloading it right now...even tho I need to go to bed. I just wanna listen to a few minutes immediately.

THANK YOU!!!!!

eta: for some reason I can't find a link that works. I clicked on the David Jenkins title link and it seemed like a file was downloading. But I can't find it and it didn't start playing automatically.

Vacant
    vCash
    Loved it. He was so amazing and to think he accomplished what he did with so little ice time!!! And thanks for the plugs for my youtube vid of his triple axel!

David please pleeeeease post your Olympic LP on youtube!!!!!!

podcast mistress
    vCash
    LadyNit did you get it to work??

vCash
    The sound isn't "normal"; but, it is listenable.
    It improved as the interview went along.

Edited to add:

I had been waiting for this; and it didn't disappoint!

What an imsightful conversation.
    I learned SO much.
    Like floskate, I long to see his entire Olympic Free Skate.

Thank you, manleywoman and Dr. Jenkins.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Thanks skatesindreams. After thinking about this interview a few days, I really am shocked that David Jenkins doesn't get more recognition for being the pioneer that he was. He figured out how to land every single triple, including the axel, almost single-handedly, without any assistance from a coach. And he won that Oly Gold Medal with the most minimal of coaching.

As one of the comments on my blog stated: "The insight into his self reliance and dedication is a "must" for all competitive skaters of today." So true. These days our skaters are so spoiled with the lessons and attention they get. He and Hayes Jenkins had to manage everything themselves. A lot of skaters could use more of this.

vCash
    After thinking about this interview a few days, I really am shocked that David Jenkins doesn't get more recognition for being the pioneer that he was.
    I suspect that it can be traced to how skaters who "turned Pro" were regarded by the ISU/USFSA.
    As Dr. Jenkins described it, he was treated as a "pariah".

It was as though he had "betrayed" skating.
    He (and others) were treated as though their records and accomplishments did not exist for committing the "sin" of supporting themselves.
    This was really appalling; and it's no wonder that he was not involved in the sport for many years. He said he was not welcome!
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-08-2011 at 07:16 PM.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    I'd be interested to know if Tenley Albright was similarly treated. But she has the distinction of being the first female Oly Gold medalist, while David was #3 for the Men's side.

vCash
    Such a fascinating chat with Dr.Jenkins! Always love hearing stories from the wise. Such an skilled individual who was impressively self-dependent, yet had so many genuine relationships at the same time!