View Poll Results: Are you for or against the team event?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

95 50.00%
  • Against

95 50.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    But why? If it gives more skaters the opportunity to win medals or make accomplishments at an Olympic event..I'm all for it! And for all of the people doubting if these poor, fragile skaters can bother skating two extra programs...these people are under intense training all year for this moment. I think they can handle it. That's the way it is in gymnastics too...the team event is always first, followed by the individual all around, and then the event finals.
    The team event has to be after the individual competitions. Otherwise, skaters from countries taking part in the team event would be at a disadvantage.

And how exactly is it going to work out?

If skaters will have to skate different programs than in the individual events, then they will surely just rehash their programs from last season as spending loads of time preparing programs that would be skated once wouldn't be very clever.

If skaters will have to skate the same programs, it'll define the word "pointless."

Synchronised skating should have been made an Olympic sport instead.

On the other hand, Jayar makes a good point.

A team event could possibly result in federations working harder on being strong in all the disciplines and not just some of them. Maybe it would mean Japanese Fed would finally start working on a Pairs and Ice Dance programs?

If this would happen, then I am all for it (but only if skaters will be skating different programs, it will be after individual events and Synchro becomes an Olympic sport too eventually ).

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    How about a category for "like the general idea, dread $peedy's execution of it?"
    This, in a very general, general sense. More events = yes; $peedy/speedy execution = no.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    No, *you* need to lighten up. The negative response has nothing to do with threatening "cherished traditions" or not wanting change. It's about wanting to see the sport presented in a format that truly benefits both the sport and the skaters.
    I'm also sick of the very condescending "I think the skaters can handle it " comments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    No, they don't *HAVE* to name the team before the Olympics... unless they didn't qualify someone for the Olympics in the singles, pairs, or dance. For example, for the last Olympics, the USA had the following on their Oly team:

Abbott, Lysacek, Weir
    Flatt, Nagasu
    Denney/Barrett, Evora/Ladwig
    Davis/White, Belbin/Agosto, Samuelson/Bates

That could be the pool of skaters from which to choose. So, it could look like this:

Based on Nationals: Abbott, Flatt, Denney/Barrett, Davis/White
    Based on Olympics results: Lysacek, Nagasu, Denney/Barrett, Davis/White

And so on...

If you have a team (say France) who doesn't qualify a lady, then you would have to name the lady to the team. Otherwise, you can name your final lineup just before the competition like any other sport does.
    If the team competition is BEFORE the individual competition the team would have to be decided first. OC said he would like it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    The Reeds represent Japan, but they will likely opt out of their Japanese citizenship. They also have another dance team: Emi HIRAI and Taiyo MIZUTANI.
    Emi Hirai and Taiyo Mizutani came in second after the Reeds (who can't compete for Japan yet) at nationals and they were 11th at the Mont Blanc Trophy in 2010. If they represent Japan they will need 24-7 practice from the best coaches in the world to come even close to competing with the other ice dancers from around the world to come close to helping the team win.

That leaves the Reeds, he has until July to decide if he wants to renounce his American citizenship and represent Japan, his sister already has so the choice seems obvious if they want to go to the Olympics. But I have no idea what they will decide as a team.

That still leaves a hole in pairs, Takahashi and Tran are out.

Japan didn't have a pairs competition 11 years out of the last 28 due to lack of competitors. 12 of the rest of those years only had one team competing (they won ) 8 of those years were won by people who were not Japanese (Tikhonov (93-94), Markunsov (02-03), Patrick (05), (Tran 09-10-11).

Japan could have and still can build up their pairs program but it just hasn't been a priority for them, maybe it will be now, same with other countries in the same boat.

They have three years to pull a pairs team together. That is definitely long enough to have a world-level team for the competition.
    What dance team has gone from 11th at Monte Blanc Trophy to top 3 at the Olympics in 3 years in a country that has not made that discipline a priority? Can it happen? Why not. Will it? Doubtful.

You just don't like the competition, and that's fine. Don't watch it. But don't sit here and talk about how logistically impossible it is. If it were, it wouldn't have made it this far in the process.
    When did I ever said I didn't want it? I'm not one of the ones whining about the athletes not being able to handle it or its not fair that some countries can't send some people. I just thought with only having one WTT in 2009 and only two more until the Olympics they would like to try more times that 3 before putting in the Olympics. I was never against it. You seem to have trouble getting facts straight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I think most of the avid fans who are voting against the concept in this poll (including myself) will still watch it, so I don't think it will be a miserable failure at all.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure I won't watch it. Some skaters will perform same programs they prepared for individual disciplines, and the team event will act as a spoiler. Also, I don't want to see some skaters receiveing gold medals despite putting out mediocre programs just because they were on the right team. IMO, Olympic gold medal in figure skating shouldn't be given out like candies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Cool vids. Yes, I would have been their watching. Grafstrom's speed and coverage are amazing. Do you have any of Jackson Haines?
    Jackson Haines!

Oh, I wish! But he died about a decade before the development of the earliest motion picture technology. I just did some hunting around on line to see if I could find any motion pictures that pre-date Salchow's skate at Troppau (now Opava) in 1911, and I found this, which purports to show one of the pairs at the 1908 Olympics in London.

vCash
    This poll is just nailbiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Jackson Haines!

Oh, I wish! But he died about a decade before the development of the earliest motion picture technology. I just did some hunting around on line to see if I could find any motion pictures that pre-date Salchow's skate at Troppau (now Opava) in 1911, and I found this, which purports to show one of the pairs at the 1908 Olympics in London.
    Thanks. Makes me feel guilty when I don't record skating.

Yes, let's do this team thing.

vCash
    Pro, as I think it would add an interesting asset to the Olympics, just as Syncro would be a huge crowd drawer

vCash
    If I understood correctly, Tarasova in this interview says that the team event would be meant for skaters who are not involved in the traditional competition.

"Indeed, in the team competition can act not the skaters who will compete for medals in individual events."

http://sport.rambler.ru/news/figures...587277284.html

DAISUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure I won't watch it. Some skaters will perform same programs they prepared for individual disciplines, and the team event will act as a spoiler. Also, I don't want to see some skaters receiveing gold medals despite putting out mediocre programs just because they were on the right team. IMO, Olympic gold medal in figure skating shouldn't be given out like candies.
    I never thought you would watch it - I mean, since Yuna can't compete in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by itsartemis View Post
    I never thought you would watch it - I mean, since Yuna can't compete in it.
    I watch pairs and ice dance, both of which Yuna Kim does not compete.
    So much for your brilliant comment duh.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If I understood correctly, Tarasova in this interview says that the team event would be meant for skaters who are not involved in the traditional competition.

"Indeed, in the team competition can act not the skaters who will compete for medals in individual events."

http://sport.rambler.ru/news/figures...587277284.html
    But this doesn't mean that ALL the skaters will not be competing in the individual events, just that it's possible for skaters who are not competing in individual events to compete in the team event.

I'd be astonished if the entire team event is made up of the next level of skaters down from each country (ie those not in individual events). They're going to have enough trouble finding enough countries to field teams for the team event as it is. And I can't imagine the top 3 (Cda, USA and Russia) being content with their 2nd tier of skaters competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    But this doesn't mean that ALL the skaters will not be competing in the individual events, just that it's possible for skaters who are not competing in individual events to compete in the team event.

I'd be astonished if the entire team event is made up of the next level of skaters down from each country (ie those not in individual events). They're going to have enough trouble finding enough countries to field teams for the team event as it is. And I can't imagine the top 3 (Cda, USA and Russia) being content with their 2nd tier of skaters competing.
    Actually that could be interesting. Sometimes skaters come in first or second at one program and then finish way off the podium because the they bomb in the other. So really, when you see the all around medalist, that person is not necessarily the best skater in any particular event.

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    I interpreted that statement as meaning that some skaters who were in the main event but unlikely to be in the running for medals would have a chance to win a medal in the team event if they're on a strong team.

I'm all for more skating as long as it can be done in a way that's not going to be disruptive to the skaters. They should have some choice in the matter of whether they want to be on the team event team.

However, just imagine all the new what-if polls that will be springing up as people wonder how their favourites would have placed if only they had skated their routines in the individual event the way they did in the team event and etc., etc.!

vCash
    I don't understand the angst of people getting medals in the team event that might not get them in individual events. Yes, a team like Evora/Ladwig might come home with a medal. Other sports do this -- their are 12 people who get medals in a cross-country relay -- not all 12 ended up bringing home a medal in individual events. Ditto with ski jumping, short track, speed skating. It's not like making the Olympic Team is a cake walk -- just ask McLaughlin and Brubaker.

Also, the business of repeating programs -- the way I understand it is all 10 teams get to do their short programs (so 40 shorts), and the top 5 get to do their longs (20 longs). Given the abysmal state of TV coverage in the US it's not like this is going to be a lot of duplication of programs to viewers. We usually only get to see the top 12 skaters in singles, top 8 in pairs, top 10 in dance and that's if we're lucky. Yes, we will likely see 8 American routines twice. But, there are bound to be skaters in the team competition where their participation in the team event is the only time we'd get to see them skate. In my book, more skating isn't something to bemoan.

If they don't make the countries participate in the same discipline order I think the strategies could make the competition intriguing -- who do you put as your last skater with the medals on the line? I do hope that they start including this at Worlds so the skaters have a chance to get used to skating twice and the fans get a chance to see how it goes.
    Last edited by minignome; 04-15-2011 at 08:21 PM.

vCash
    During the synchro Worlds in Finland, Speedy had a press conference. A Finnish journalist asked him if the new team event means that synchro will not became an Olympic event. Speedy was silent for a minute, then only answered: "Lady, that was a very provocative question."

I would have rather seen synchro at the Olympics than a team event. My reasons, as a Finn, are of course apparent.

vCash
    This - the FS team/points event - seem like a scheme to generate TV ratings rather than any genuine desire to even up M/F athlete numbers at the winter games.

Was there seriously a groundswell of support for this event among athletes? Or only among the national federations likely to win medals?

If so, I missed it.

I'm psyched for women's ski jumping, they've been campaigning for a while.

The X-Games-like events (snowboard cross, moguls, short track speed skating) as loopy as they once sounded to me, are really exciting, challenging, insipring, worldwide rink & mountain sports that draw athletes (individuals and teams) from all over.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234