View Poll Results: Are you for or against the team event?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

95 50.00%
  • Against

95 50.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Pointless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Pointless.
    But why? If it gives more skaters the opportunity to win medals or make accomplishments at an Olympic event..I'm all for it! And for all of the people doubting if these poor, fragile skaters can bother skating two extra programs...these people are under intense training all year for this moment. I think they can handle it. That's the way it is in gymnastics too...the team event is always first, followed by the individual all around, and then the event finals.

vCash
    I think team skating will initially get decent TV coverage in the next Olympics, because it's something new; However in future Olympiads it will be delegated to only the late night highlight clips much like synchronized swimming.

I'm sure I'll watch it, but the idea just seem unnecessary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I just don't think one WTT is enough to make it an Olympic sport in 2014 especially since this years was canceled. There are a lot of things to work out esp within the competition and within the countries themselves, not just with who can compete. Has the ISU or the IOC release exactly how it will work in detail?

I do think it will help get more skaters interested in pairs and ice dancing. Japan doesn't have any eligible pairs and ice dancers that I can think of. Most don't/can't/won't have citizenship.
    What is there to work out? There are 2 men, 2 women, 1 pairs team, and 1 dance team per country. Countries qualify based on points earned throughout the season. Who can compete is up to the qualifying nations, I am sure, and I am also sure that everything will be revealed very soon.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    More skating? Heeeelllllllls YEAH!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    What is there to work out? There are 2 men, 2 women, 1 pairs team, and 1 dance team per country. Countries qualify based on points earned throughout the season. Who can compete is up to the qualifying nations, I am sure, and I am also sure that everything will be revealed very soon.
    It's actually one from each discipline for the Olympics. Two skaters from each of the singles categories was just for the WTT.

vCash
    So who goes? Is it the national champion or the reigning world champion. What if they get hurt who substitutes?

Did the ISU put out the actual rules of competition or just a statement for the press?

There will be many questions over the next couple of years.

vCash
    Result of this poll tells me a team event at Olympics will be a miserable failure. Who in the hell is going to watch a crap event that fails to get approval from the most avid figure skating fanbase.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Did the ISU put out the actual rules of competition or just a statement for the press?
    Just a press statement. There has been no communication/rule revision with the rules for the Olympic team event.

During 2010 ISU congress some language was added to the ISU rules that include the Olympic team event.

vCash
    What kinks? Skaters skate, they earn a score, points are distributed based on score, and medals are awarded. How is that 'kinky'?

And for those who are looking at it as 'leaving out' countries who have small skating populations... look at it as an opportunity to grow teams from all over the world.

Right now, the following teams have enough skaters to have the event:
    AUT
    BLR
    CZE
    EST
    FRA
    GER
    ITA
    RUS
    CAN
    CHN
    JPN
    USA

That's 12 teams. That's quite a start, I think. I bet a pairs and dance teams will start popping up all over.
    It's not that easy to develop good Olympic-eligible pairs and dance teams, especially for countries that have strict citizenship requirements, such as Estonia and Japan.

I'm not sure how you compiled your list. The following countries are sending at least one entry in each discipline to this year's Worlds:

AUT
    BUL
    CAN
    CHN
    FRA
    GER
    GBR
    ITA
    JPN
    RUS
    USA

That's eleven, but Japan doesn't have a pairs team that can compete in the Olympics.

Having a team competition at the Olympics probably means getting rid of the gala. I'm actually not a big fan of exhibitions, but if I were given the choice between watching Yuna Kim, the top Japanese singles skaters, and maybe Kiira Korpi or Laura Lepistö doing exhibitions and Austria's pairs team (whose current Personal Best Total Score is 100.87) and Bulgaria's dance team (81.99), I'd watch the exhibitions.

vCash
    I put for, since it has more promise than it does detriment. Right now the biggest pro for me is the chance at another medal for skaters.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    How about a category for "like the general idea, dread $peedy's execution of it?"

vCash
    I am for it, but I think it should be the last event after the singles,pairs, and dance.

vCash

team sport

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I don't like the idea. Instead I would love to see Syncronized skating.
    Me too! It's long overdue that synchro becomes an olympic sport.

vCash
    What not to say 'Yes' to more drama, kiss & cry and triple splats?? lol

vCash
    I would vote 'for' if (a) it was more like the WTT setup with two men and ladies skaters per team, and (b) if it was after all the other fs events. It should most definitely not be the focus event of figure skating at the Games.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    It will be far more interesting to have figure skaters team up and play hockey. I want to see some nasty body checking and feathers flying off their costumes all over the place.
    I think what you're looking for is a reality show where they all live in the same house and wear their costumes all of the time

Figure skating fans need to lighten up. Just because something new comes along it doesn't mean their cherished traditions and skaters will be threatened. If things never changed we'd still be watching middle-aged men tracing patterns on a pond with their upper bodies rigid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Figure skating fans need to lighten up. Just because something new comes along it doesn't mean their cherished traditions and skaters will be threatened. If things never changed we'd still be watching middle-aged men tracing patterns on a pond with their upper bodies rigid.
    No, *you* need to lighten up. The negative response has nothing to do with threatening "cherished traditions" or not wanting change. It's about wanting to see the sport presented in a format that truly benefits both the sport and the skaters.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Result of this poll tells me a team event at Olympics will be a miserable failure. Who in the hell is going to watch a crap event that fails to get approval from the most avid figure skating fanbase.
    I think most of the avid fans who are voting against the concept in this poll (including myself) will still watch it, so I don't think it will be a miserable failure at all.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    middle-aged men tracing patterns on a pond with their upper bodies rigid.
    Ulrich Salchow
    Gillis Grafström

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast