vCash

If Figure Skaters, Why not Football Players?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-wont-players/

A question I wouldn't have thought to ask. (I though that the doping tests were all urine tests in figure skating.)

vCash
    I personally would rather have someone draw blood than watch me pee!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Wait, skaters have to give a blood test? I thought they just peed in a cup! That sucks!

vCash
    The NFL is are pro players and skaters are amateurs, the both play under different "rules" and neither should be compared.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    The NFL is are pro players and skaters are amateurs, the both play under different "rules" and neither should be compared.

I'm not sure what you mean by "amateur" -- but if it is competing without payment or financial reward, you'd be wrong. I'd even argue that UNTIL football players make it to the NFL they're almost inevitably supposed to be competing as true amateurs, whereas even JGP skaters can earn prize money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "amateur" -- but if it is competing without payment or financial reward, you'd be wrong. I'd even argue that UNTIL football players make it to the NFL they're almost inevitably supposed to be competing as true amateurs, whereas even JGP skaters can earn prize money.
    Amateurs can earn money and so can pros, but if "amateurs competitions" are governed by bodies like the IOC and ISU you play by their doping rules. Earning money really has nothing to do with it. If you are competing at the college level, yes you are constitute a true amateurs, you have to be by NCAA rules. Even the Olympics used to be for amateurs only until the rules were relaxed. That is what the spirit if the games was all about.

In any event to say that because skaters have doping controls football needs to as well is comparing apples to oranges. The sports aren't comparable, the athletes aren't comparable, in some cased the ages aren't even comparable and the drugs they are allowed to take aren't comparable.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    The vo2 test is a test of physical fitness. There are some figure skaters who score off the charts compared to other sports including football.....figure skaters are in outstanding shape...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    The vo2 test is a test of physical fitness. There are some figure skaters who score off the charts compared to other sports including football.....figure skaters are in outstanding shape...

I never say skaters were sub-par athletes compared to football players.

I'm happy the ISU and IOC try really hard to keep things in an even playing fields for the skaters through blood withdrawal and even urinating in front of a doping agent :roll eyes:. In the case of Yuri Larina, it worked, and he just took what he thought to be a headache medication.

Whatever the head of the NFL chooses to do in regards kicking cheaters out of it's ranks through drug testing is between the employer, employee and the players union. For the writer of the article to bring say because a 13 year old skater submits blood tests an NFL payer should is ludicrous. FIN.

vCash
    Okay, I must have had too much sugar tonight, but...

I can just see, back in the "good old days", Plushenko and Yagudin sitting in the same room getting their blood samples taken, glaring at each other and saying, "I can give my sample faster than you!" "Well my sample's better!" "I gave a bigger sample!" etc etc.

Also, if you didn't have to register to leave a comment, I'd be all over that "figure skaters are tougher than NFL players? who knew?" comment with "I KNEW!"

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Amateurs can earn money and so can pros, but if "amateurs competitions" are governed by bodies like the IOC and ISU you play by their doping rules. Earning money really has nothing to do with it. If you are competing at the college level, yes you are constitute a true amateurs, you have to be by NCAA rules. Even the Olympics used to be for amateurs only until the rules were relaxed. That is what the spirit if the games was all about.
    Which would be why the ISU doesn't use and discourages the term "amateur" as it's not technically accurate. They prefer "eligible", as in "Olympic eligible."

vCash
    I imagine the football players, unlike some of the smaller girl skaters, would never have to worry about one horror of blood drawing: failure to find someone's vein. Five minutes at least with someone continually patted your inner elbow with gloved fingers while you just want to get it over with and you know you must be driving the nurse crazy with your tiny veins(it's especially bad when they make comments about it), and then they'll jab the wrong spot and it'll be five more minutes while the vial fails to fill and what blood does come out is useless because it congeals and they have to do the whole process over with your other arm, and you're left with a bruise for a week(yes, this did happen to me last time I went to the doctor and got bloodwork) And you thought female pairs skaters were tough already! Some of the female gymnasts must dread blood tests as well, I think.