Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

1982 World ladies event

One thing I am wondering about the 82 World ladies event is if anyone saw all the short programs. I have seen a few of them and I am surprised at some of the placings. For instance Elene Voderezova missing an easy double flip combination when she popped the double toe into a single and yet still coming way up in 3rd in the short program phase. On the other hand Elaine Zayak falling on a much harder a triple toe combination and ending up 10th. I am fascinated how they somehow ended up a whole 7 places apart. I imagine the ordinals were a mess, like they were in the long, and like they were throughout the competition. And how did some of the skaters from 4-9 skate, what did some of them miss and which ones skated well. I know Kay Thomson who ended up 6th skated clean, and obviously Witt and Leistner who were 1st and 2nd did, but I dont know any of the other performances beyond that.

vCash
    It was a weird event, much like '79 Worlds were for the men. Ironically, the double flip was also the required combination jump back then, too.

Elaine, as the reigning world silver medallist, was clearly screwed. I guess falling apart and coming third at US nationals did her no favours.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieSKATES View Post
    It was a weird event, much like '79 Worlds were for the men. Ironically, the double flip was also the required combination jump back then, too.

Elaine, as the reigning world silver medallist, was clearly screwed. I guess falling apart and coming third at US nationals did her no favours.
    The funny thing is she was gifted in the short prgoram at the 81 Worlds where she fell on a death drop and still was placed 3rd which aided her greatly in her overall silver medal finish. Granted I didnt see many of the short programs from that year either, but Ivanova skated cleanly and was still placed below. Yet amazingly 3 years later after Ivanova being out of competition for years, Zayak is placed 3 spots below Ivanova in the Sarajevo short program with what most thought was a superior performance. What a funny and political sport it was back then.

vCash

vCash
    DeVries was an intersting skater. She showed alot of potential in 1981 and 1982, beating Zayak to win Skate America in 81, beating Zayak again to win silver at Nationals behind Sumners in 82, making a respectable debut at her rookie Worlds, beating Sumners to win Skate Canada in 82. However in 1983 she was pushed off the World team by upstart Tiffany Chin and then withdrew from the 84 Nationals altogether. I wonder if she even had a chance of making the 84 Olympic team at all had she competed. It seems her star had already dimmed out at that point. Maybe if she had skated and skated well at Nationals she would have pushed an overweight and off form Zayak who skated poorly at Nationals off the Olympic team though.

Vacant
    vCash
    Emmerich Danzer who coached Debbie Cottrill at the time was apparently disgusted with the marking of the short program. Sadly I have never seen her SP from this event but her LP was very ambitious. She attempted triple flip, loop, sal and toe. Skating to Jesus Christ Superstar she was sooooo cautious and two footed a lot of her triples. She didn't fall but the judges just murdered her. It's a shame she never medalled internationally. Her real chance came in 1981 but she fell in the SP IIRC and the judges didn't hesitate to bury her.

vCash
    I think Claudia Kristofics-Binder gets gold if she had placed 3rd in the long program instead of 4th. Interestingly, Claudia was Austrian Sportswoman of the year for the 2nd consecutive year after this result at 1982 worlds.

vCash
    I think these were the scenarios for various skaters to win the World title had all else remained the same:

Wegulius- 4th in LP over Binder
    Voderezova- 3rd in LP over Leistner
    Binder- 3rd in LP over Leistner
    Cottril- 2nd in LP over Witt
    Witt- 1st in LP over Zayak

I dont know how many of those were capable of those particular placings. I would guess Kristofics Binder, Witt, and Voderezova all had the chance of doing it if they skated their best though. I doubt very much Cottril could have beaten Witt in the LP to win the gold overall, but I dont know that much about her either. Wegulius was a sort of weak free skater so even needing to only be 4th in the LP over Binder to win the World title, I still doubt she was capable of doing it.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Wegulius was Finland's Hamill clone right down to the wedge hair cut. Her doubles were almost identical too, but I don't remember Kristina ever landing a triple in competition. She certainly attempted the salchow more than once, but from memory, fell at '81 and '82 worlds in the free.

vCash
    Would Wegelius have been able to come 4th in the long over Binder to win the World title overall even in the miracle she skated totally clean with her one triple salchow? I dont remember exactly how many triples Binder landed, I only remember she took an ugly fall on a badly wrapped triple toe at the end as her only real mistake. Sumners and DeVries were 5th and 6th in the long program with 1 triple each.

Every long program I have seen from her was pretty bad though with alot of mistakes. It seems like she struggles to even do doubles cleanly.

vCash
    Does anyone recall which triples the ladies of '82 had? I think it was something like this -

Zayak - loop, salchow, toe, toe walley [ I realize she doubled the loop, but wasn't she still proficient with that jump?]
    Witt - flip, salchow, toe
    Kristofics Binder - toe
    Wegelius - salchow
    Sumners - toe only at this point.

I think with the retirement of Biellmann, Zayak was considered the most ambitious technically?

vCash
    Sumners' one triple in each of the US Nationals and Worlds long programs was the salchow.

Vacant
    vCash
    Zayak still had the loop despite doubling it. She landed it at '8 Nationals, '84 Olympics and Worlds. Sumners for sure had a toe and sal. Was it at Skate Canada one year (I'm thinking 1981) where Sumners attempted 5 triples in her LP (3 toes and 2 sals)? I think she fell on one.

vCash
    Who was it that skated last at the 82 Worlds in the long program. Some videos I have seen indicate Wegelius of Finland the leader skated last, while others indicate Kay Thomson of Canada skated last.

vCash
    Vikkie de Vries and Tiffany Chin actually tied in ordinals at the 1983 U.S. Nationals, but Tiffany won the tie-break by virtue of her 3rd place finish in the LP, whereas de Vries finished 5th in the LP. Vikki had an off night. She completed a 3salchow, but fell on a 3toe, and another attempted triple and 2 double axels were not landed cleanly. Chin completed 2 3toes, missed an attempted 3salchow, and had 3 excellent double axels in her program, including one out of an Ina Bauer.

vCash
    1982 Worlds Ladies results:

1) Zayak 4-10-1 = 7.4
    2) Witt 9-1-2 = 7.8
    3) Kristofics-Binder 1-9-4 = 8.2
    4) Leistner 14-2-3 = 12.2
    5) Vodorezova 5-3-8 = 12.2
    6) Sumners 11-4-5 = 13.2
    7) de Vries 8-7-6 = 13.6
    8) Thomson 6-6-9 = 15.0
    9) Wegelius 2-5-12 = 15.2
    10) Cottrill 3-8-17 = 22.0

13) Manley 23-11-7 = 25.2

Interesting that one panel of judges was used for compulsory figures and the short program, and a completely different panel of judges was used for the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    I think Claudia Kristofics-Binder gets gold if she had placed 3rd in the long program instead of 4th. Interestingly, Claudia was Austrian Sportswoman of the year for the 2nd consecutive year after this result at 1982 worlds.
    Based on the above placements, you are correct. So close!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    1982 Worlds Ladies results:

1) Zayak 4-10-1 = 7.4
    2) Witt 9-1-2 = 7.8
    3) Kristofics-Binder 1-9-4 = 8.2
    4) Leistner 14-2-3 = 12.2
    5) Vodorezova 5-3-8 = 12.2
    6) Sumners 11-4-5 = 13.2
    7) de Vries 8-7-6 = 13.6
    8) Thomson 6-6-9 = 15.0
    9) Wegelius 2-5-12 = 15.2
    10) Cottrill 3-8-17 = 22.0

13) Manley 23-11-7 = 25.2

Interesting that one panel of judges was used for compulsory figures and the short program, and a completely different panel of judges was used for the LP.

Based on the above placements, you are correct. So close!
    Does anyone know what happened to Cottrill here, after being 4th and such a strong skater at '81 Worlds??

I wonder what Manley's skating looked like in '82. How old is she??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast