Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    61
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    1984 OLY Ladies Long Program

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLS0nUK_syA
    Katarina Witt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4cBjtJ2WI
    Rosalynn Sumners
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDw0_ZpjU8Q
    Kira Ivanova
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAEGPYjEqM
    Tiffany Chin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17MwRSUjyQ
    Anna Kondrashova
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBbng2Mzj8
    Elaine Zayak

    My Thoughts after watching these programs is that Ros's long is over marked. I do agree with Kat winning overall though.

    Thoughts
    Last edited by longingfornia; 04-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by longingfornia View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLS0nUK_syA
    Katarina Witt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4cBjtJ2WI
    Rosalynn Sumners
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDw0_ZpjU8Q
    Kira Ivanova
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAEGPYjEqM
    Tiffany Chin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17MwRSUjyQ
    Anna Kondrashova
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBbng2Mzj8
    Elaine Zayak

    My Thoughts after watching these programs is that Ros's long is over marked. I do agree with Kat winning overall though.

    Thoughts
    I started a thread in regards to the '84 Oly SP about a year ago. I seem to remember the SPs but not the LPs.

    But I do remember the competition being rather uninspired overall

    Witt deserved the win that day. Sumners had the best basics, but popped 3 or 4 jumps which kept her in contention but definitely off the top of the podium

    Tiffany Chin and Elaine Zayak were the most inspiring. I recall thinking Elaine was badly undermarked in the SP and somewhat undermarked in the LP. Tiffany was great but for a step-out on the 3flip.

    Ivanova's program was all over the map: occassionally showcased some good jumping ability, but was otherwise snoozeworthy.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,206
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It is funny how Ivanova ended her program. It basically summed up the overall program- lifeless, blah, and like she didnt really give a darn.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    It is funny how Ivanova ended her program. It basically summed up the overall program- lifeless, blah, and like she didnt really give a darn.
    I always thought the same thing, but I've excused those lifeless I-don't-give-a-darn performances after reading how horribly she was treated by the Soviet Fed: [keeping her and her coach apart so they wouldn't defect; punished and not allowed on the team for 2 years; general criticism that the Soviet ladies weren't keeping up with the US and GDR ladies]. Perhaps that '84 Olympic bronze medal helped her spiritually for a while at least ....

    But, yes, if Tiffany and Elaine had better figures, one of them [probably Tiffany] would've snagged the bronze instead. And we discussed in another thread the whopping no. of top ladies who may have made the comp interesting but retired in this Quad before Sarajevo -or simply sat out/forced to sit out Sarajevo -[Biellmann who was before her time; Kristofics-Binder and her great figures; Cottrill and her strong figures and a 3loop in the LP; Wegelius; de Vries; Wainman; teeny bopper Ito, etc.]

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Entre Pinto y Valdemoro
    Posts
    705
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I always thought the same thing, but I've excused those lifeless I-don't-give-a-darn performances after reading how horribly she was treated by the Soviet Fed: [keeping her and her coach apart so they wouldn't defect; punished and not allowed on the team for 2 years; general criticism that the Soviet ladies weren't keeping up with the US and GDR ladies]. Perhaps that '84 Olympic bronze medal helped her spiritually for a while at least ....
    Could u tell more about this? It was quite interesting the skating world in that very political era

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Could u tell more about this? It was quite interesting the skating world in that very political era
    Here's her Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kira_Ivanova
    It will give you a good synopsis.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,277
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    ^Ivanova's life sounds really tragic.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ITA about Ros overmarked.
    I was really disappointed the first time I watched this program (in 1994, during a special TV show for Katarina Witt).

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,658
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Here's her Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kira_Ivanova
    It will give you a good synopsis.
    That's only the surface of it. IIRC she was raised by her grandmother (I have no idea what happened to her parents) and her twin sister had committed suicide

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    ITA about Ros overmarked.
    I was really disappointed the first time I watched this program (in 1994, during a special TV show for Katarina Witt).
    Were you disappointed in Witt's or Roz's '84 performance? Or both?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,936
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    I thought Zayak was great.

    I always felt quite sad for Ivanova. She never looked very happy. But I found her a very interesting skater.

    I seem to remember reading something about one of the Russian coaches being a bit of sleezebag and trying it on with the girls. I think it was in Gordeeva's book and it might have had something to do with Kondrashova.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,451
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I thought Zayak was great.

    I always felt quite sad for Ivanova. She never looked very happy. But I found her a very interesting skater.

    I seem to remember reading something about one of the Russian coaches being a bit of sleezebag and trying it on with the girls. I think it was in Gordeeva's book and it might have had something to do with Kondrashova.

    My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think Katia mentioned in her book, My Sergei, that Stan Zhuk used to beat Anna up.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow, I've never seen these performances! Zayak was great!!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think Katia mentioned in her book, My Sergei, that Stan Zhuk used to beat Anna up.
    In her book Katia says that she saw him hit Anna only once. He was definitely an alcoholic sleaze tho.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,277
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    ^Once is enough. Is it Kondrashova who coaches Glebova?

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,658
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    ^Once is enough. Is it Kondrashova who coaches Glebova?
    Yes it is

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    IIRC, she also mentions Zhuk trying to sleep with a young Russian skater in Calgary.

    I think her comment was that she was aware she was "lucky" because she was too young to be hassled in that way.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

    I think her comment was that she was aware she was "lucky" because she was too young to be hassled in that way.
    Yeah, I think that was her point. That she was lucky because she was just barely too young for him to bother her in that way. I agree that once is more than enough re: Anna. I have no doubt that it happened more than once, but my point was that Katia mentioned that she only saw him hit Anna once. She says she went to get Sergei immediately, but that Zhuk was gone by the time they got back.

  19. #19
    Kostner Softie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,534
    vCash
    1017077
    Rep Power
    1319
    Who placed ahead of the other in the LP, Ivanova or Kondrashova?

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,206
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In Sarajevo Ivanova placed higher than Kondrashova in both the SP and LP. Had Anna placed higher in both she actually would have beaten Ivanova since she was close to her after figures.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •