Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    vCash
    Pissev's comments on the topic pretty much same as David Raith's above. He states that the event format is yet to be finalized.
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s.../89170135.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by itsartemis View Post
    You're kidding, right? I don't think you even know what pure Nordic or biathlon events were.

In the good old days - all the cross country skiers went into the woods and the spectators or TV audience did not see them for 1, 2 or 3 hours. Didn't make for great television by today's standards. It has developed massively over the years and now they "skate" part of the distances (thanks to American Bill Koch), they have mass start and sprint. Many countries (including the purist from my country) voted against these changes because they were very much against the sport developing into something that was not traditional. The outcry was massive here, yet FIS and IOC welcomed the changes and new disciplines and now everybody loves it.

New disciplines will always be disliked by some and celebrated by others. Time will tell if they continue to be Olympic events.
    Amen to that from a fellow Norwegian!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elanor View Post
    This would be very unfair when only some skaters get the opportunity while the others don't because they have no team with medal chances. The sport should be about fairness (naive, I know). Some will have multiple Olympic medals just because they happen to be Russian or Canadian. It would make me even more sad for good skaters who will never win the Olympic medal. The idea is nationalistic to the core and I hate it.

It would be a little bit better if not the same skaters can do both events.

Figure skating is an individualistic sport, not team sport. Getting medal with easy program or splatting all over the place because someone else landed many jumps or is a great ice dancer makes no sense to me.

I would love synchro competition but, well, it's not going to happen.
    well said!

Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I'm also torn at the idea. I understand that gold is gold but to me what made figure skating at the Olympics one of THE marquee events is the drama of the one shot skates.

You know the feeling, watching live to see the skater take the Olympic ice to skate to THE Olympic free skate, THE Olympic free dance. Now that they will skate twice to the same program, to me it takes the magic and the prestige away.

Also, imagine all the that could happen. Say if Lysacek and Plushy skated similarly to their performances in Vancouver, and Plushy scored higher in the team event but lower in the individual...
    'the drama of the one shot skates' <--- This.

vCash
    When a skater bombs, it really only affects that specific skater. But in a team competition, other skaters will be affected. I can already imagine the headlines if Canada loses a medal because its lady skater skates like she usually does. Or the US Pairs team skate like they usually do. Or watching the Reeds apologize to Japan. Or Plushenko is still banned.

And I can see the Russian audience really getting into it. I would've loved being in that type of event in Vancouver, especially when I imagine the reaction after Dube/Davison and Chan get "overscored" (assuming they skated the same way they did in their own competition). There's that nationalism that gets more intensified in a team sport environment.

In that respect, I do like it.

I also look forward to all the "What would happen if there were team events at the ______ Olympics" threads and "Should the USFSA have chosen Tara or Michelle for the Olympic Team Event in 1998" threads.
    Last edited by manhn; 04-07-2011 at 07:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elanor View Post
    Figure skating is an individualistic sport, not team sport. Getting medal with easy program or splatting all over the place because someone else landed many jumps or is a great ice dancer makes no sense to me.
    I remember during the pairs medal cermony after they put a medal on Aliona they went over to Robin and gave him a medal as well even though he fell. They didn't go over to him and say "You fell on your ass, so even though you are a team, you don't get one, only she does"

Sorry, not the way it works in any sport.

I remember watching a swimming relay in China or Barcelona when the US team had a disastrous start when the first guy slipped off the start and just splashed in the water. He was wayyyyyyy behind but the other men on his team caught up enough to win gold. ALL the men won gold, even Slippy Slipperson who almost lost the whole race. That is the whole thing about being on a team, you all win and you all lose.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    What the ****?! I absolutely HATE this ****ing idea!!!! Why? Well, I'm not ****ing ashamed to admit it so I'll tell you - it's because MK would've been an Olympic mutha****ing Champion if these mutha****ers had pushed for the inclusion of these events earlier! Yes, that's right *****es, I'm a MK fan and I'm still bitter as **** about her not having an OGM! Son of a *****! I'm so ****ing PO'd right NOW!!!!!! Mutha****ers! ****! ****!...... ****!...........****!................

I think it's a wonderful idea!!!!

vCash
    'Team event'??
    What the hell was that ???

$peedy!!!
    I will kill you!!!

vCash
    A positive side is, that some skaters who are not talented enough to win the gold medal or any Olympic medal in singles skating, may actually have a chance in a team event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    A positive side is, that some skaters who are not talented enough to win the gold medal or any Olympic medal in singles skating, may actually have a chance in a team event.
    So they can run around claiming to be "Olympic Champion" when, IMO, there should be only one TRUE "Olympic Champion" in each discipline. This Cheesy Team crap just cheapens the TRUE Olympic figure skating events.

On the other hand...

If there were a Synchro event, that would be different. That would be a truly legit, new figure skating discipline. Yes, that would bring more athletes to the games...but aren't there already other "lotsa athletes" events, such as Hockey and Women's Hockey? Just saying.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    BINGO!

Just like gymnasts who happen to be members of a winning group in the Team Event at the Summer Olympics are not truly THE champions of the all-around or the apparatus events...but still can run around showing off their Olympics gold medal as if they were the Olympic individual champion. Ma & Pa Kettle watching on TV won't know the difference.

Why does figure skating have to lower itself to that level?
    Why is that level considered "low"? I mean, if you're on the gold medal winning hockey team, but you only played 10 minutes of the game, does that make you *less* of a gold medalist, because your team won?

As a former gymnast, I love the team event in that sport. For athletes who normally compete as individuals, for individual medals, being able to truly be on a team is an experience not to be missed. It's a whole different dynamic.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Pissev's comments on the topic pretty much same as David Raith's above. He states that the event format is yet to be finalized.
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s.../89170135.html
    I think the idea of being able to bring in different skaters for different components of the event is extremely intriguing. You could have one man skate the short program, and a different skate the long, and they're all contributing to the success of the team by adding their own strength to that team. Very cool.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash

If there were a Synchro event, that would be different. That would be a truly legit, new figure skating discipline. Yes, that would bring more athletes to the games...but aren't there already other "lotsa athletes" events, such as Hockey and Women's Hockey? Just saying.
    There are, but as I said before, the Olys is 1) looking for ways to shrink the number of athletes, 2) looking for ways to shrink costs, not add them by having to have at least two additional ice surfaces, plus all that housing, and 3) trying to maintain some sort of gender equity; and since synchro is almost 100% women, that is not in its favor.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I remember during the pairs medal cermony after they put a medal on Aliona they went over to Robin and gave him a medal as well even though he fell. They didn't go over to him and say "You fell on your ass, so even though you are a team, you don't get one, only she does"

Sorry, not the way it works in any sport.
    Yeah, in dance, if one partner falls, you don't win. In equestrian if you fall off the horse, you don't win. (Even in the team events having a horse or rider go down will usually be enough to take the entire team out as it's considered a HUGE fault and either destroys your score or gets you DQ'd. In the eventing cross-country phase it is or soon will be a mandataory elimination if you fall--meaning you come off, you're disqualified from the entire event. Sucks for the reduced team who have to try to make the points up and usually can't, but that's how it goes when you've got a team.)

I am torn. I don't hate the idea of a team competition. I don't especially want to have to see the same programs I just saw AGAIN. (No, I don't find watching someone do the same floor routine or beam routine or vault they just did in the all-round particularly exciting, either.) If they were going to have different (maybe shorter/fewer requirements) programs, or different skaters....

I'm also divided on the tired-out thing. On the one hand I can see where that would make a tiring event even worse (competition is a lot more exhausting and stressful than just practicing at home, even when you enjoy it.) OTOH, it hasn't killed the gymnasts or equestrians (however in equestrian you do not always have the same rider/horse combos) or the track and field athletes.

It could work. It could be awful. I tend more towards awful, but not because the general idea is bad but because of all the people to make a difficult idea work, $peedy is not one who inspires deep confidence in me.

vCash
    It's not practically a bad idea because some country like CND, US. Russia and Japan have multiple skaters. And they said, they can substitue different skaters between SP and LP, so country like Japan and US can definietly let someone do a SP and another one do LP. SO itn't not really that much different, unless u only have one entry each for events.

vCash
    And I'm sure Uncle Sam wouldn't mind adding more medal to the tally. A medal is a medal.

vCash
    [QUOTE=made_in_canada;3133604]I don't follow gymnastics so forgive my ignorance but are there only a few countries that can feasibly participate in the team competition for gymnastics? I know that certain countries tend to dominate but how big is the potential pool of competing nations? It just seems odd to me to have an event in which there really are a very limited amount of nations who can actually compete. QUOTE]

In the past pretty much, it was the USA, USSR, Romania and China

mind you the last oympiad was china domination (but it was in beijing, china dominated all sports)
    NOW RUSSA, USA, CHINA, ROMANIA, FRANCE, BRAZIL, ITALY, ENGLAND, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, GERMANY, CANADA, SOUTH KOREA, NORTH KOREA, UKRAINE, BELARUS, probably missed some.all trying to qualify a team into the olympics.

It takes time for a new events to develop and grow internationally all around. in some of these countries, in the past they only use to send out a individual athletes that are profficient at specific events, now they have developed teams with multiple athletes that are good at all events.

Like skating now some nations develop individual athletes good at certain events (KOREA, GER, CHINA, ITA, FRANCE) with a team idea why can't it develop so that these nations can have teams with multiple athletes good at all events!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    And I'm sure Uncle Sam wouldn't mind adding more medal to the tally. A medal is a medal.
    Yes. For those lamenting the state of US pairs, if there is another shot at a gold and adding to the medal count, this may provide the incentive to the USOC to kick up some funding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    ....trying to maintain some sort of gender equity; and since synchro is almost 100% women, that is not in its favor.
    Synchro is a totally-unisex sport, like equestrian. No separate men's and women's categories or sets of medals. There's nothing keeping men from doing synchro.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Synchro is a totally-unisex sport, like equestrian. No separate men's and women's categories or sets of medals. There's nothing keeping men from doing synchro.
    I wonder what the statistics are regarding how many male skaters are in synchro. I remember reading that Robin Szolkowy skated in a synchro team when he couldn't find a pairs partner. Maybe synchro is perceived as very, very feminine. I did notice that there are quite a few male synchro officials though (example: three out of the six members of the ISU synchro technical committee are male, including the chairman; and the referee of this year's synchro worlds is male).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    There are, but as I said before, the Olys is 1) looking for ways to shrink the number of athletes, 2) looking for ways to shrink costs, not add them by having to have at least two additional ice surfaces, plus all that housing, and 3) trying to maintain some sort of gender equity; and since synchro is almost 100% women, that is not in its favor.

If you look at the sports added in Sochi, it's all about return on investment for the host country. All the new sports use existing venues and only a small increase in the number of athletes participating. Assuming there are prelims and finals in each event you can sell 12 more sets of tickets (and figure skating at least is a big $$ ticket) for the cost of adding 100 or so athletes.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast