Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    I like it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smartblade View Post
    I Disagree these same skaters who are cometing in their own events later on get to recognize first, how to work as a team, be supportive and compassionate. realize its not just their olympic moment, but their teams moment, their country's moment!
    You still haven't explained how diversity and inclusiveness is going to be improved by having the same skaters competing in the team events as are competing in the other events.

Or how "learning to work as a team" is going to be developed by everyone performing the same individual/couple programs they'll be doing later on in the competition.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    The team members will consist of skaters who qualify for their nation's olympic team (from among the qualifying teams determined by outcome of the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships).

I Dont think that could really work. In Vancouver only 5 countries (USA, Canada, Russia ,Germany and Italy) had teams including all 4 categories. They will need to bring skaters who didnt qualify for the individual events otherwise it wont be possible, and even still.. Japan for instance won't have pairs participation unless Tran gets miraculously the japanese citizenship in time.

vCash
    I kind of love this idea.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    I Dont think that could really work. In Vancouver only 5 countries (USA, Canada, Russia ,Germany and Italy) had teams including all 4 categories. They will need to bring skaters who didnt qualify for the individual events otherwise it wont be possible, and even still.. Japan for instance won't have pairs participation unless Tran gets miraculously the japanese citizenship in time.
    Earlier this year when Cinquanta talked about the possibility of having a team event in the Olympics, it was mentioned that the rules might be modified to allow those qualifying nations who did not have a qualifying pair, or dance team, to substitute a second pair or dance team to fullfill the six skater team total.

The ISU will likely address this probable need between now and the scheduled first outing of the Team event at the 2012 Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Earlier this year when Cinquanta talked about the possibility of having a team event in the Olympics, it was mentioned that the rules might be modified to allow those qualifying nations who did not have a qualifying pair, or dance team, to substitute a second pair or dance team to fullfill the six skater team total.

The ISU will likely address this probable need between now and the scheduled first outing of the Team event at the 2012 Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

I wonder how they'll level the scores if they do that? Dance and pair teams don't have scores that turn out the same.

vCash
    .... The team members will consist of skaters who qualify for their nation's olympic team (from among the qualifying teams determined by outcome of the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships)......
    I just saw this important bit now. This is actually reassuring in that it must be currently-active skaters who also compete in the 'real disciplines' -- men, ladies, pairs or dance -- first and foremost. I was afraid that this would be a scheme to get the oldie-goldies back into the Olympics.

I still think that it's a waste of time and chee$y. Almost a 'pre gala' before the final gala. BO-RING!!!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I can't believe I'm even making this analogy, but...

I grew up on a dairy farm, and our family exhibits some of our livestock. At the bigger shows (state fair, national shows), they have something called "Premier Exhibitor." Points are given for placements in each of the indivudual classes. Most places count an exhibitors top 6 placements. The farm with the most points wins; its not a separate competetion.

I can see awarding points for placements within the competetion and not trying to add in separate skates for a team competetion. (Speaking of which, I'd imagine that having to skate 4 performances at the Olympics rather than 2is not going to be the easiest thing--I'd think the skaters would be worn out by the time it's all over with.) On the otherhand, as has been pointed out, not every country has a pairs or dance team. I'm still not sold on this team competetion thing at all.

On another note, one of the things I didn't quite like about the WTT in 2009 was that emphasis was still placed on singles over pairs and dance. You have some countries where their depth is in ice dance or pairs rather than singles. It seems like it would be a little more fair to let countries choose two disciplines to have two teams/skaters in and then have 1 in each of the other two. Then, though, you get into differences in scoring and base values.

I'm making my head hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    You still haven't explained how diversity and inclusiveness is going to be improved by having the same skaters competing in the team events as are competing in the other events.

Or how "learning to work as a team" is going to be developed by everyone performing the same individual/couple programs they'll be doing later on in the competition.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.
    You don't have understand it that's fine. You are entitled to close yourself off from the idea, but its happening and when it does i'll be thrilled watching it. Things change, and sport be it Figure skating or any other sport is always evolving. Figure skating is not the same as it was 30 years ago. Adding a new dimension to figure skating opens up the idea of competition in a different perspective. It may not happen within the next two olympiads but other countries may see the team event ideal as a reason to start developing skaters and focusing skaters in all disciplines theres diversity and inclusion. People may find it hard to believe, maybe because there was no incentive to do so. Now there is!

It's another chance, opportunity for athletes to experience olympic glory, and with the new team event, why not celebrate the achievement with team mates.

Once again I'd rather watch more figure skating than having to watch nordic events...This is a figureskaing fan site!

Think of in the Amatuer series of ICE WARS skating competition in mid90's...those were so fun to watch! in this case the athletes are competing for Olympic gold

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nro View Post
    I like that figure skaters will have another medal opportunity but I wish they had explored the ideas mentioned in this thread, medals for short and long programs, or medals for jumps, spins, throws, footwork, etc.

Olympic rules state that medals can only be awarded for separate competitions. So, if you wanted to give out short program, long program medals there would need to be 3 competitions -- short, long, combined, and the scores in the short and long could not be added together to give the combined -- the skaters would have to skate them again.

vCash
    I'm loving this addition.

vCash
    I like the idea of having a team event, but I would like it after the individual, pairs, dance events. I think the importance should be on what the individual or couple can acheive.
    I think of the team event medal as a bonus, a nice end to the figure skating competition when the team can come together and win after all the individual, pairs, and dance events have been completed.

vCash
    ....I'd rather watch more figure skating than having to watch nordic events...This is a figureskaing fan site!

This is a skating fan site but I don't care to see most of the Disson cheesefests.

I feel that the Olympics are being cheapened by this. So what will be added in 2018 -- the Rock n' Roll Interpretive category?

I would rather watch a PURE TRADITIONAL winter sporting event like nordic or biathlon than a skating cheesefest.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Well it is just a matter of liking or not. Those who don't like the idea of this team format, surely can choose not to watch, and those who do (myself included) can elect to view it. Each to their own.

Much of the time there is a preponderance of bitching here about there is not enough skating shown on TV or the web... so when more is offered, some can't be satisfied. It is their right to feel such, but come on folks. (:<)
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash

What about a country who qualifies in all 4 events, but has better skaters in a specific event- why can countries without qualifiers substitute from other events, but other countries have to use skater who aren't necessarily their best?

(For example, the US might have pairs in Olympics- but they'd likely be better off sending an additional lady, man, or dance team.)

Not to mention the point that was brought up that a dance team subtituted for a single skater would have a completely different score range possible.

vCash
    Heh, When I read the header I thought maybe they were adding a synchro event (which would have been a nice idea...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I guess you don't watch the relay events in sports a lot.
    Yeah, all those teams tripping and losing their batons won all those medals.

vCash
    You don't have understand it that's fine.
    I do understand it. That's not the same as liking it.

Once again I'd rather watch more figure skating than having to watch nordic events...This is a figureskaing fan site!

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed And I must have missed the parts of the thread saying that the skating team event should be replaced with more Nordic events, or the part where you had to like the team event idea if you were a figure skating fan

You can be enthusiastic about the idea, but you can do so without insulting people who don't share your enthusiasm.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    And once again it's not about the actual news, it's that "Phil Space" Hersh told you about it before anyone else, SO THERE.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ic-events.html

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    According to the IOC, the figure skating team event will feature teams made up of six skaters: one male, one female, one pairs team and one ice dancing couple. Points will be awarded to each skater/couple, and the team with the highest number of points will be the winner.
    Hmmmm... so does the highest ranking skater in each discipline automatically get on the team? Or do they have the option to pass? Because if the team event is before the individual events (meaning events for singles/pairs and dance), I can see medal contenders not wanting to do the team, while a lower-ranked skater/pair with no real chance at the podium in their discimpline could seriously increase their medal hopes as part of a team. I would expect the team selection to be even more strategic than Oly team selection.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast