vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Olympic Gold Medals Tally Board (April 1, 2014):
    Michelle Kwan: 0
    Brandon Mroz: 1

LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    So skaters will do jumps, spins, throws, whatever in a separate completion but they will be too tired to do the rest of the program?
    It's a lot more tiring to 12 or 13 difficult elements with difficult connections and choreography, with no rests, all within 4-4.5 minutes, or 7 or 8 in less than 3 minutes, than to do 3 or 4 difficult elements, with rests or simple connections, in approximately the same amount of time, or spread out over more time with rests in between if skaters take turns doing individual elements.

If we wanted to see skaters compete with, say, the hardest jump combinations they've ever landed in practice, we'd want an event where they can do the difficult elements in isolation, not when they're already tired or when they have to stay focused for another 3-4 minutes afterward.

But under the proposed format, it shouldn't be too hard for skaters to water down their programs for the team competition and then put back the hardest content possible for the individual competition. Leave out the last jumps of some combinations, or leave out revolutions. Leave out some features from the spins or steps. Replace a difficult transition move with a resting section. They wouldn't have to totally rechoreograph.

Although if they preferred to have a relatively easier program for the team event and a more challenging program for the individual event, I doubt there would be any rule forbidding them from having a completely different program with completely different music and choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    It's a lot more tiring to 12 or 13 difficult elements with difficult connections and choreography, with no rests, all within 4-4.5 minutes, or 7 or 8 in less than 3 minutes, than to do 3 or 4 difficult elements, with rests or simple connections, in approximately the same amount of time, or spread out over more time with rests in between if skaters take turns doing individual elements.

If we wanted to see skaters compete with, say, the hardest jump combinations they've ever landed in practice, we'd want an event where they can do the difficult elements in isolation, not when they're already tired or when they have to stay focused for another 3-4 minutes afterward.

But under the proposed format, it shouldn't be too hard for skaters to water down their programs for the team competition and then put back the hardest content possible for the individual competition. Leave out the last jumps of some combinations, or leave out revolutions. Leave out some features from the spins or steps. Replace a difficult transition move with a resting section. They wouldn't have to totally rechoreograph.

Although if they preferred to have a relatively easier program for the team event and a more challenging program for the individual event, I doubt there would be any rule forbidding them from having a completely different program with completely different music and choreography.
    No doubt it's harder to do a 3 or 4 minute program than to do a few hard elements but that is what they train (and will train) for. Maybe they can 'water-down' the programs as much as they like for the team competition, but it's still a competition where if they don't rack up enough points they won't do well point wise, so I'm not sure how well that will work for many skaters.

I wish they could have worlds and the WTT immediately after to see how it would work. But at this point no one knows how it's going to work and I haven't seen that the ISU has given hints about how it will work. It's really just speculation at this point.

vCash
    Forgive me for not having read the whole thread: Is there word out how the team event will be constructed? All for disciplines? A free program here, a short there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Forgive me for not having read the whole thread: Is there word out how the team event will be constructed? All for disciplines? A free program here, a short there?
    As far as I see, the only thing out there is that there will be some kind of team event. Nothing about disciplines or programs.

vCash
    Thanks!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    AFAIK they are saying one lady. one man, one pair, one dance couple per team. It will start with 10 teams (though where 10 teams will come from is a mystery) to skate the short. The top 5 will go on to skate the long.

vCash
    Does anyone think that this will encourage some more federations to try and create some pair/dance teams to try and qualify? I know any teams would have to pass their country's Olympic Associtaion standards anyway to make it...but it might be nice to see some more teams.

I agree with what a lot of you are saying, but I think it's quite exciting to have something new. I would love it if GB could have a team in 2014, after all, we had a lady, pair and 2 dance teams in Vancouver... but no man, and Kemp/King and Jenna probably won't stay till Sochi. Would the entrants all have to be countries who had qualified an entry in *each*discipline for the individual event?
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    AFAIK they are saying one lady. one man, one pair, one dance couple per team. It will start with 10 teams (though where 10 teams will come from is a mystery) to skate the short. The top 5 will go on to skate the long.
    interesting, thanks.
    Now I understand that people are worried about possible cuts in singles...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910