Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    If the lady breaks the guy's nose on the way down, does that increase or decrease the GOE?
    She gets extra points for accuracy.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoenNL View Post
    Let's bring on an "s" - button for the Tech panel?
    "s" as in, for sh!t jumping!

vCash
    [QUOTE=Vagabond;3131948]

You remind me of John Martin.

It's silly to deny that Anglo Saxons or Slavic people are not naturally rhythmic or sinuous like, for instance, Hispanics. Pick any guy in the street in Brazil and chances are 90% he can dance. find an American man in the street-- 90% possibility that he can't.
    Then there are the exceptions: hottest rhumba ever danced....and they were 35 yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0

I for one think waltzes are just boring as dances go. swirl, swirl, swirl. thank god this year there will be something else to watch.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash

Communication 1677: Ice Dance Technical Rules

Today the ISU released ISU Communication 1677 (34 pages) which includes technical rules for ice dance (Scales of Values, GOE, and Components for pattern dances, Scales of Values, GOE, and levels for required elements, Program components marking, clothing restrictions).

Here is an excerpt from the clothing restrictions:
    - “Lady’s skirt”: it must go around the entire waist. However there may be slits in the skirt on one or both sides up to the waist.
    - “Excessive nudity of lady”: the majority of the upper body must be covered.
    - “Appropriateness for athletic competitions”: costumes of either partner must not have so much material or decorations that the bodyline of the skater cannot be seen.
    - “Accessories and props”: this includes part of the costume used as a support in a Dance Lift.
    page 30 (program components adjustments):
    If there is a story or theme in the program and it is not clearly understandable to the audience (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0
    The music does not have an uplifting effect (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 05-24-2011 at 03:52 PM.

vCash
    So we're back to the uplifting effect, eh? No more Schindler's List, Tristan & Isolde, -- and maybe not Salome either?

And I've yet to hear an Argentine Tango with anything like an uplifting effect. (Though for me personally, loss of accordions playing tango would be an improvement.)

Quadless
    vCash
    If there is a story or theme in the program and it is not clearly understandable to the audience (Free Dance): - 1.0 to - 2.0
    And exactly how are they going to determine what is "understandable to the audience"?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    LOL those rules are sooo pointless.. and in the ends the judges won't bother with them like they didnt with Amodio. I bet Khokhlova or Hoffmann will still manage to dress slutty enough

Clueless American
    vCash
    “Accessories and props”: this includes part of the costume used as a support in a Dance Lift.
    Will this be otherwise known as the Domnina & Shabalin rule?

I don't know why a dance has to be uplifting and/or understandable. IMO dance is art and art isn't always uplifting or understandable.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash

Where are they supposed to make this deduction in the PCS? Choreography? Performance?

I'd rather have an "annoyingly perky" deduction than one for music that isn't "uplifting."
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Where are they supposed to make this deduction in the PCS? Choreography? Performance?
    "not clearly understandable" comes out of composition/choreography (CC)
    "music does not have an uplifting effect" comes out of interpretation/timing (IT)

vCash
    I am no native English speaker so I may be off base but isn't uplifting not meant to be something like happy/clappy/perky but more "morally erecting" (which is the direct translation from German) which could mean pretty much everything apart from elevator music?

vCash
    Presumably narcocorridos then are explicitly forbidden ??

They are a distinctly non-uplifting polka.

vCash
    I am too. I had proposed to take it out of the list of elements in one of the TC reports. That could have been a solution not having it to pass through Congress as a rule change.
    Shame that it didn't work.

That would be awesome! Lack of steps is never going to get deducted by the blind judges otherwise.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, yes, yes.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    If that rule applies to just the FD, my take of it would be that the uplifting effect is not a requirement in the SD and I'd be really curious to know why they don't use the same rule for both segments.

vCash
    I think the ISU wants to keep ice dancing fans as far away from depression as possible .And as a result they will surely lead us to depression

I found an article about the uplifting effect in art.

http://www.northshorelij.com/NSLIJ/T...rdless+of+thei

So if they use the term as it's used in this article,they really mean happy programs,that put a smile on our face.But how can they really dictate what makes a person feel good.For example,classical music is considered non uplifting ?Or will they make all teams dance to "Ode to Joy"?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They rewarded the Shibs for what I think they mean by it.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    That "upifting" rule depresses the heck out of me, and the "understandable" rule escapes my comprehension
    Last edited by dinakt; 05-26-2011 at 04:55 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I am sure the issuing of communications is just a conspiracy with the timber industry to keep people printing more paper.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    That "upifting" rule depesses the heck out of me, and the "understandable" rule escapes my comprehension
    ITA! These rules may just put an end to my love of ice dance...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast