Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"? This isn't the typical circular step sequence, is it, because that one uses holds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"? This isn't the typical circular step sequence, is it, because that one uses holds?
    It is a normal circular step sequence, the couple are just not in dance hold like they currently are.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It is a normal circular step sequence, the couple are just not in dance hold like they currently are.
    Has this element been used before? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'm trying to imagine it in my mind and it seems more difficult than a no touching midline sequence - to maintain a circular path, weaving in and out, without using each other for support.

vCash
    Has this element been used before? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'm trying to imagine it in my mind and it seems more difficult than a no touching midline sequence - to maintain a circular path, weaving in and out, without using each other for support.
    Not sure. Will certainly make it interesting.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    No Yankee Polka

I didn't want the Rhumba earlier, but for some reason, I feel like it would be fun now. Like everyone else, I'm really happy about the rule that the rhythms have to make sense with other.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Both Madisons (Chock and Hubbell) must be looking forward to an extra-slutty season!
    I just hope they don't go over the top with that Rhumba hip action.
    Last edited by Allen; 04-06-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Because the Rhumba pattern dance is usually skated to music that's faster than a typical rhumba, so the steps would really go better or at least just as well with music intended for one of the other dances named?
    Yeah, the ballroom rumba is done to much slower music than the ice dance rumba. Even American Rhythm is slower, let alone International Latin, which is slower still.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I think I/K will have a very hot SD next season
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I've seen pairs teams do circular footwork. My favorite was Inoue/Baldwin's from their 2006 SP. I looked for it on YouTube but no luck. I think it will be a nice change to the SD's next year!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    What is a "Not Touching Circular Step Sequence"?
    This sequence is for brother-sister teams...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    This sequence is for brother-sister teams...

vCash
    for the not touching CiSS! Something new, eh?

vCash
    No news on whether they will finally remove the copy & paste spiral sequences that have plagued ladies LP's for almost 10 years??? I'm sick of having to see them.

Will the Ina Bauer and Spread Eagle get a GOP score? Will the COP award bonus points to the few skaters that can actually do opposite direction jumps the way they currently award opposite spins? Heck, will the Walley and Toe Walley be counted as real jumps and be given a difficulty score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sailornyanko View Post
    No news on whether they will finally remove the copy & paste spiral sequences that have plagued ladies LP's for almost 10 years??? I'm sick of having to see them.

Will the Ina Bauer and Spread Eagle get a GOP score? Will the COP award bonus points to the few skaters that can actually do opposite direction jumps the way they currently award opposite spins? Heck, will the Walley and Toe Walley be counted as real jumps and be given a difficulty score?
    Spiral sequences have been changed already. Didn't you notice?

As for the other questions, the answer is a resounding NO to all of them.

Opposite direction jumps definitely should be rewarded. But some jumps have to remain non-listed so they can be used as transitions, especially in sequences.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sailornyanko View Post
    I think it is amazing they have come up with the dance stuff now after the delays last season.

Plus I am sure they have had bigger things to worry about - like Worlds.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    The spiral sequence was removed from the Ladies SP for the 2010-11 season, and the spiral sequence in the free skate only receives + or - GOE, no levels.

I agree with AW that it is very good that the ISU has released the ice dance required elements already (in April). Last spring the ISU was able to release the free dance requirements (on May 4) before the 2010 ISU Congress, but the short dance requirements were not released until after the ISU Congress in June.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post

But lets face it: anglo, nordic, slavic skaters suck big time at trying to carry the latin flow and portraying the hotness vibe that is required for these dances, they all end up looking horribly stiff and contrived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Some of the hottest Latin dances I can remember were performed by Russian couples. Usova/Zhulin's and Grishuk/Platov's rhumbas are my favorites.
    And Russian ballroom Latin dancers are

I'm looking forward to Diva Nora!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Posted elsewhere today:
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Link to ISU Communication 1672: Amendments to the Scale of Values, Guidelines for Marking GOE and Levels, 2011-12

This communication supersedes ISU Communication 1611 (2010-11 Season).
    Side-by-side comparison of changes from 1611 to 1672

Scale of Values
    2T base value reduced from 1.4 to 1.3.
    2S base value reduced from 1.4 to 1.3.

Level 2 step sequence increased from 2.3 to 2.6.
    Positive GOE (+3,+2,+1) for Level 4 regular step sequences and Choreo Spirals and Choreo Step Sequences decreased from 3, 2, 1 points to 2.1, 1.4, 0.7 points.

Pairs throws:
    2TTh base value reduced from 2.6 to 2.5.
    2STh base value reduced from 2.6 to 2.5.
    2LoTh base value reduced from 3.0 to 2.8.

GOE

Singles GOE Changes:
    new -> Steps, does not correspond to the music: -1 to -2
    Steps. listed jumps with more than half rev. included: -1 (listed is new, so I assume you can't do a half-loop in steps now, since half-loop is now a listed jump)

Spin, -2 to -3 GOE (must be minus) for less than required positions in the SP has been removed. Not meeting the positions requirement for spins with change of foot in the SP will make the spin have no level and no value now instead of reducing GOE. In the FS the same spin would be called Level 1. Spin combinations with change of foot in the SP and FS will be Level 1 if all three basic positions are not met.

Pairs GOE Changes:
    Previously: Twists, lady not caught at the waist was -2, final GOE must be in the minuses
    Now: Twists, lady not caught at the waist is -1 to -2 GOE, final GOE not restricted

Solo and Pairs Spin, -2 to -3 GOE (must be minus) for less than required positions in the SP has been removed. Not meeting the positions requirement will make the spin be called Level 1 instead of reducing GOE.

new -> Steps, does not correspond to the music: -1 to -2
    Steps. listed jumps with more than half rev. included: -1

Levels features changes

Steps: the criteria to satisfy the use of upper body movements level feature in singles and pairs step sequences has been reduced from a combined total of 2/3 to 1/2 of the step sequence pattern.

Spins: clear change of edge feature now counts for layback and Biellmann positions as well.

Singles-only
    Steps:
    2 different combinations of 3 difficult turns quickly executed within the sequence (Feature #5). Previous requirement for #5 was "combination of difficult turns quickly executed in both directions, at least twice within the sequence."
    * Two combinations of difficult turns are considered to be the same (i.e. NOT different) if they consist of the same turns done in the same order and on the same edges.
    Difficult turns include rockers, counters, brackets, twizzles and loops (loops new for 2011-12).

Spins:
    Flying entry spin variation now only counts as a feature to increase Level once per program (in the first spin where the feature is attempted). Normal flying camel entry does not count a a Level feature (but counts as an attempt at FCSp).

8 revolutions without change in position/foot/variation/edge can count as a feature only once per spin now, not "twice (if repeated on another foot)" as in 2010-11. [Feature #8].

Change of position backwards-sideways or reverse must be clear in the layback spin to meet Feature #9.

Pairs-only
    Lifts:
    Previous Feature #7 (landing variation) removed; now combined with Feature #1 (take-off variation). Seniors no longer can meet 2 level features with a difficult take-off + difficult landing in the same lift.

Feature #1 now is:
    Seniors: difficult variation of the take-off and/or difficult landing variety
    Juniors: Simple variation of the take-off and/or simple landing variety (each counts as a feature)

Simple landing: a different landing foot is not automatically considered a simple landing variety.
    Difficult take-off: inside axel take-off in 5ALi and 5SLi is considered as a difficult take-off variation.

Pair Spins:
    execution of 4 difficult variations (each variation of each partner counted separately) will result in 2 Level features independent on the order of these variations if at least 2 of these variations are executed in basic positions and each partner has at least 1 variation. (new requirement underlined)

Death Spirals:
    Feature #1 (Difficult entry and/or exit): Difficult entry to a death spiral should be on the curve and on the leg of the death spiral and while acquiring the actual death spiral position there should be a continuous and not too prolonged movement to this position.

If during the Death Spiral Lady’s head never reaches the level of her skating knee, the Death Spiral will have no value.
    Previous rule: Any part of the Death Spiral with a higher lady’s or man’s position is not valid for Level features #3 (change of arm hold) and #4 (additional revolutions).
    FYI: requirements for lady's death spiral "low" position:
    for inside Death Spirals – the lowest hip or buttock and head should not be higher than her skating knee;
    for outside Death Spirals – head should not be higher than her skating knee and bodyline between knee of skating leg and head should be flat or shallow arch.

And, the final remark for the second year in a row (a.k.a. the Ziggy rule):
    The Single and Pair Technical Committee reminds the Judges of the necessary GOE reduction in case steps and/or movements do not immediately precede the jump in the Short Program. In case of steps the take-off of the jump must be in the rhythm of these steps.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 05-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU
    If during the Death Spiral Lady’s head never reaches the level of her skating knee, the Death Spiral will
    have no value.
    Yikes! I anticipate a lot of "Forward inside death spiral, no level" this year (thank goodness it's a FiDs year, though; this will be painful in a BoDS year). I'm hoping for a Technical Notification modifying this for Juvenile and Intermediate...

This seems like the fewest changes between seasons that I can recall. I regret the loss of "2 8s" (the ability to get credit for two features by doing 8 revolutions on each foot), because that was a wonderful features for lower level skaters and encourages the development of strength and spinning skills that are more important/essential than the ability to pull one's foot over one's head.

vCash
    Pairs GOE Changes:
    Previously: Twists, lady not caught at the waist was -2, final GOE must be in the minuses
    Now: Twists, lady not caught at the waist is -1 to -2 GOE, final GOE not restricted
    If the lady breaks the guy's nose on the way down, does that increase or decrease the GOE?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast