Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I am taking my parents on a car trip through Italy in a several days and I insisted on passing through Cinque terre on our way down to Rome. I knew I've made a good call.
    On the OT: I don't think you can choose wrong. I've never been to Istanbul but it's close to my home so I'm sure I'd enjoy it. It would definitely be exotic. Anyway, I'd recommend Rome because it's one of a kind. End of may, the weather should be wonderful and there are so many things to see. I was there in december and kept thinking I may have made the wrong choice getting stuck in Milan!

Whatever you choose, I have 1 advice: HOLD ON TO YOUR PURSE, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Istanbul would be more of a culture shock (although it would probably feel more European than the other countries that are immediately surrounding it).
    it's totally European, maybe just traffic shock (an hour to pass a couple of kilometers! lesson learned: avoid car, use public transports )!

Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    Cinque Terra (Italian Med)..
    if you have time and you like hiking in the Cinque Terre there are good routes with wonderful views (connecting the Cinque Terre, 5 lands)

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    3. Via Appia (but I'm a huge ancient Rome nerd)
    I'm also an ancient Rome nerd, but be carefully with Via Appia...it's not exactly the safest place in town
    As vesperholly said near Rome, Ostia is beautiful, and I would add also Tivoli with the ancient villa of Hadrian, one of my favourite places!

vCash
    Also, Pompeii is a must. It's an easy day trip, only a 2-hour train ride, and one of the most stunning things I've seen in my entire life. If there's not enough time for Pompeii, at least go to Ostia, which has similarly preserved ruins and is only 30min away.
    For a first time visitor "Ostia" needs to be clarified.

You probably mean "Ostia Antica", 2 stops from Rome after Magliana on the local train.

"Ostia" is a small industrial city by the airport, it's pretty residential and commercial.

"Lido di Ostia" is a beach-front resort town, very small, and has nothing but 12 water-front hotels, 1 km of beach, and small town set-up.

Ostia Antica - is the "ruines".

vCash
    So I'll throw in some other thoughts. There's a reason why they say "Roma kaput mundi"
    Ostia Antica is nice but honestly you have the Fori Romani in the middle of the city which are much more worth seeing if you run out of time, that is. Just be sure to enter first to the Fori entrance not the Colosseum side and buy the ticket there also for the Colosseum so you can skip the line
    If Istanbul has the mosques than Rome has a church, or two , in every corner and they are all so beautiful, even for me who's not a religious person. Then you have the Villa Borghese gardens, Trastevere which at that time of the year is to die for, the Musei Vaticani and tons of other museums and then you have the different Piazza like Navona, Spagna, Piazza del Popolo, Campo Marzio etc. One of my favourite places is Isola Tiberina, which is an island in the middle of the Tevere river. I've lived there for 7 months and still think I'm missing some part of it. I agree Pompei is nice but I think to recall there's been a sisma last year and one of the bigger houses got damaged but still between Ostia Antica and Pompei I'd pick the last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    "Roma kaput mundi"
    Just be sure to enter first to the Fori entrance not the Colosseum side and buy the ticket there also for the Colosseum so you can skip the line
    jealous of living on Isola Tiberina
    as a latinist, please, "caput mundi"
    Anyway, I agree on going first to Fori and buying there tickets for the whole zone. Since you go to Fori, also Palatino is a must (is the same area, but somehow tourists often miss it)

I agree Pompei is nice but I think to recall there's been a sisma last year and one of the bigger houses got damaged but still between Ostia Antica and Pompei I'd pick the last.
    ehm....actually not a sisma...just bad preservation that caused damaged to two or three houses...archaeological preservation is quite embarassing now there
    Between the two, yes Pompei is better and I also love Herculaneum (smaller, but more impressive IMO), but Ostia Antica is nearer, and so is Tivoli

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    Cellphone typing sindrome
    ehm....actually not a sisma...just bad preservation that caused damaged to two or three houses...archaeological preservation is quite embarassing now there
    That would make it even worse then I remember Bondi was pretty sad about that. Now he's sad because of other things

vCash
    Yes, Ostia Antica, thanks

The Forum was interesting but it's so ruined that it's hard to understand. You must take a book that describes what everything is, or you'll miss the importance of it. I had Rick Steves, which was fine (except totally wrong about roving bands of thieving gypsy children), but I would've preferred something illustrated.

My BFF (traveling companion) and I stumbled upon the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele, which we were extremely impressed by. I'd never even heard of it, but we walked down Via del Forii Imperiali to see Trajan's Column, and BAM there it was - and H U G E. Too bad Italians hate it and building it destroyed part of Capitoline Hill.

I'm also an ancient Rome nerd, but be carefully with Via Appia...it's not exactly the safest place in town
    Which part? We took a bus way out to the tomb of Cecilia Metella, then walked up to the catacombs of San Sebastiano. It was totally fine, very "idyllic country" setting. I don't know if we were lucky or what, but I felt very safe the entire time I was in Rome.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    if you have time and you like hiking in the Cinque Terre there are good routes with wonderful views (connecting the Cinque Terre, 5 lands)
    It's off topic regarding Rome/Istanbul but the Cinque Terre really is beautiful. I went there for a few days 1.5 years ago after wanting to do it for a long time! The hike between the villages (with the exception of the road between Manarola & Riomaggiore) is not for those in bad condition though, especially if the weather is hot! We hiked from Monterosso to Manarola during the day in about 26C weather (late September) and it was breathtaking but also exhausting and I'm not even in terrible shape. Bring LOTS of water and other drinks, you'll need it!

My parents are in Rome right now and are loving it.
    Last edited by Hanna; 04-06-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Which part? We took a bus way out to the tomb of Cecilia Metella, then walked up to the catacombs of San Sebastiano. It was totally fine, very "idyllic country" setting. I don't know if we were lucky or what, but I felt very safe the entire time I was in Rome.
    I was speaking generally of the park of Via Appia, Metella and some catacombs are ok, but if you go through the park looking for other "ruins" it's not always the same sadly...

vCash
    Yes, Ostia Antica, thanks

My BFF (traveling companion) and I stumbled upon the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele, which we were extremely impressed by. I'd never even heard of it, but we walked down Via del Forii Imperiali to see Trajan's Column, and BAM there it was - and H U G E. Too bad Italians hate it and building it destroyed part of Capitoline Hill.

It's hated because it is so out of place and doesn't fit with the rest of Rome. Rome is all warm earthy colors - umber, sienna and ochre and then smack in the middle is that white marble wedding cake. One teacher I had climbed to the top of it every time she was in Rome, because, as she put it, that's the only place in Rome one can get a great view of Rome without the wedding cake in the middle of it.

vCash
    Never been to either place but I'd personally rather go to Istanbul. Eastern Europe seems more interesting to me for some reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    One of my favourite places is Isola Tiberina, which is an island in the middle of the Tevere river. I've lived there for 7 months and still think I'm missing some part of it.
    jealous of living on Isola Tiberina
    “Caput mundi” is a “joke phrase” which has no official translation unless you like to play with “German” and “Italian”……. Kaputt (german) and mundi (world) – End of the World….. ….. so (I am guessing) if one wants to “play with words” – and says “caput mundi”….. one is playing with German and Italian, twisting it intentionally, to jokingly say “Rome – is (so great) – it is the End of the World”……

Film director Marco Risi used "Kaputt Mundi" for a "fake documentary" of funny "residential stories" in Rome....

Also….. Mila did not mean to say she lived on Isola Tiberina, she was saying it’s one of her favorite places, AND that she lived in Rome for 7 months.. but she lived in the centro…. on the corner of Via Liberiana and Via Paolina next to Sta Maria Maggiore.

There maybe 10 people who live or rather “spend the night” (other than hospital section) on Isola Tiberina, who have “small rooms” in their businesses….. other wise Tiberina is a Hospital complex (Do-Good-Brotherhood) and an open-air Movie Theater…… and few tourist shops and 3 cafes……

However…… if one is “shaky” or “drunk” enough….. in the summer time….. one can always find a place to “sleep for a while” on the Isola…. (One can sneak into the hospital section too….. and see which corner one can lay one’s head, bathroom, linen closet, empty room)…..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Also….. Mila did not mean to say she lived on Isola Tiberina, she was saying it’s one of her favorite places, AND that she lived in Rome for 7 months.. but she lived in the centro…. on the corner of Via Liberiana and Via Paolina next to Sta Maria Maggiore.
    at Tinami's memory WHEEE

vCash
    “Caput mundi” is a “joke phrase” which has no official translation unless you like to play with “German” and “Italian”……. Kaputt (german) and mundi (world) – End of the World….. ….. so (I am guessing) if one wants to “play with words” – and says “caput mundi”….. one is playing with German and Italian, twisting it intentionally, to jokingly say “Rome – is (so great) – it is the End of the World”……

Film director Marco Risi used "Kaputt Mundi" for a "fake documentary" of funny "residential stories" in Rome....
    ok, I misunderstood Mila's phrase about where exactly she lived (it's so important? anyway, my English thanks )

But I still think caput mundi was what she meant (typo could happen )... anyway it's not a "joke phrase" within German and Italian!
    It's a latin phrase (used by Livius and many poets, but it was also used in Middle Ages in the seals of some Holy Roman Emperors) meaning "Roma capital city of the world". Caput is Latin word for head (=> capital, referring to a city) and Mundi is genitive of mundus = world.

German "Kaputt" has a different origin. It was used for the first time in the XVII.century to define the German's defeats during 30.years war, and it is unclear if it comes from the French word "capot" (which comes from latin caput), from hebrew or again from the Latin "caput" (but used with his late middle ages meaning in some sentences of "coming to an end").

The use of "Kaputt Mundi" is a joke phrase developed to "parody" the ancient Roman phrase. And it means directly "End of the World" (Risi's film in Italian is titled something like "The last new year's eve" , I think the English title it's like that because it emphasizes also the fact it's about Rome), the joke is in the way the ancient phrase is re-adapted (with a sort of "decadentism" or something similar)

Sorry, for the OT...but since I said "as a latinist" I had to defend myself
    Last edited by kia_4EverOnIce; 04-07-2011 at 12:58 PM.

vCash
    ok, I misunderstood Mila's phrase about where exactly she lived (it's so important? anyway, my English thanks )
    But Sorry, for the OT...but since I said "as a latinist" I had to defend myself
    don't mind me.... when people talk about Rome I get especially happy, giddy and silly... .... as far as I am concerned - Omnes viae Romam duc"u"nt!

......and as a "latinista" - you are absolutely correct!

Which part? (Of Via Appia is not safe)
    This part....
    http://www.atripaldanews.it/public/u...te-300x213.jpg

http://www.eccolanotiziaquotidiana.i...ione_89495.jpg

Last edited by Tinami Amori; 04-07-2011 at 06:33 PM.

vCash
    whole post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12