vCash

Have you ever contacted someone from way back in your past?

I recently just got in touch with my friend who I played with until I was 7..then we moved away. We kept in touch a little, but not as much as we could have. I found him on facebook and messaged him. He's doing well, just had a daughter, etc. He sort of went in the opposite direction as I did as far as lifestyle and politically. I'm still happy I found him though, as he was always a nice guy and someone that was fun to know. When we were little(really little), we ran up and hugged one another when we were introduced. It's good to know he's doing well.

So I was curious who else had contacted someone from way back in their life, and what did you discover when you finally found that person? Anything interesting? Was it a good experience or bad experience?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have gotten in contact with a lot more of my old friends and acquaintances thanks to Facebook. Sometimes I will be thinking about someone and wondering what they are doing and it dawns on me that I can search for their name in Facebook. Most of the time there they are!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I have gotten in contact with a lot more of my old friends and acquaintances thanks to Facebook. Sometimes I will be thinking about someone and wondering what they are doing and it dawns on me that I can search for their name in Facebook. Most of the time there they are!
    Last year I discovered my best friends from the USA on Facebook. It was so nice talking to them again.

vCash
    My experience is nearly identical to BigB's. I have found so many people from my past on Facebook. Sure, some have chosen different paths than I, but it's still nice to reconnect.

vCash
    I had a best friend move away in 2nd grade. We wrote letters through mid-high school, and it was always amazing how our interests aligned when we'd report them every 3 or 4 months, but we fell out of touch with the advent of email (weird, right).

In college, we were able to meet up just once. I drove to meet her at her parent's new house, I was wearing a sparkly black sweater, red pants, and black boots. She opened the door wearing a sparkly black sweater, red pants, and black boots. It was just crazy- we hadn't seen each other in about 12 years. (She then changed before we went out.)

We then lost touch again. After about 5 years, I found her on facebook and now follow her there and on her blog, but we don't talk too much. Our interests have apparently diverged. She is a very busy stay at home Mom (of 3 or 4?) and I enjoy reading the updates about her kids, but can't relate much to her life. Still, it's nice to commend and say hi every once in a while.

vCash
    That's awesome and hilarious about the outfits Very cool.

vCash
    I have more so had people from my past contact me than the other way around.Mostly because when we were kids,I didn't know their last names lol (we moved alot) And then I have to think "Ok...who is this person?" then I go ask my Mom "Do I know someone named ______?" lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    I have more so had people from my past contact me than the other way around.Mostly because when we were kids,I didn't know their last names lol (we moved alot) And then I have to think "Ok...who is this person?" then I go ask my Mom "Do I know someone named ______?" lol

vCash
    I reconnected with someone a few years ago on FB & we are currently dating. Our grandparents had been neighbors & best friends 60 years ago. Then our fathers were best friends until they joined the service in the 60's. He and I lived a block apart and our grandparents were still neighbors so we were together a lot. Like I remember him riding his bike in first grade! All the neighborhood games (Star Wars, Jaws, it was the 70's!) we were together thru. I can remember hiding behind a garage, scrunched next to him and we were both armed with squirt bottles as weapons! We lost contact after high school. We both left the area, married, divorced and now live a few minutes apart again. He is the first man ever that I don't feel I need to always explain myself to, because he just kind of "knows" already. I've also reconnected with friends from grade school on FB. Some are aquaintenances and a few have gone on to become good friends of mine again now!

vCash
    I have also reconnected with several people on facebook. I had my worst enemy from high school contact me and we're sort of friends now, which is weird.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Very cool RubyLaRhumba

And I know what you mean Allen...I have a few from high school that used to annoy the hell out of me and pick on me...and now we're friends on facebook and talk. Thank god a lot of people grow up. lol

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Afew months back I was contacted via facebook by the family that used to babysit me in first grade.

vCash
    I was visiting my parents' house at Christmastime and my former next door neighbor - the daughter - of a family who'd moved away about 25 years earlier dropped by. She was the big sister of my brother's friend, and often my babysitter.

She's only 8 or 9 years older but in my memory, she was always my image of cool teenage girlness.

We spent the first hour going, you're a grown up! I can't believe it!

vCash
    I've had the experience several times.
    Occasionally, I've realized that I was fortunate to have "lost contact" with some of them since their lives didn't always turn out so well.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I found an old flame on facebook. In between husband 1 and 2, I fell hard for this guy. Sweet, sympathetic, pretty, charming....he was one of those guys that women loved, and he loved them. After 2 years of an intense relationship, he broke up with me and immediately married a young woman who complimented his chosen profession. Then he had four children back to back and left his wife and got kicked out of his job. Then the letters to me started coming...I was his one true love! (Can I pick them or what?) I was happily married by this time. I just didn't write back.

But now it's been so many years, so I befriended him. His four kids are all getting married and having their own kids. He's on his 3rd wife....and he has somehow morphed into William Shatner.

Life is weird. Thank God I married Richard instead of this guy. But you know? A tiny flame will always flicker.....

vCash
    The third person who friended me on FB was a friend when we were younger, but we had a falling out in 7th grade, and by high school, we ran with different crowds and I didn't think about her much.

The only thing that gave me comfort when I read her profile/FB page was that I'm sure she's equally horrified by reading mine. To a lesser degree, that's been true of almost all of my old school friends. I grew up in a very Catholic, very conservative (politically anyway--they're not conservative in any other way) large town/small city, so it's not surprising that's how they turned out. I think many of them *are* surprised how I turned out.

Nothing bad has come out of it--no drama or shouting matches or anything--but I have decided that if I don't still talk to you, there's probably a reason we lost touch/weren't compelled to stay in touch in the first place. For the most part, I've found that if I didn't have anything to say to you in high school, I have less to say to you now. So I've stopped accepting friends requests just because we went to high school or college together. Yes, there are people I'm curious about, but I think I'd rather fondly remember us as friends in high school then than let who they've turned into now cast those memories in a different light.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    . But you know? A tiny flame will always flicker.....

I joined fb last year.... and my whole world got turned upside down is an understatement, when I innocently contacted an old flame well... more like a childhood buddy I haven't seen in 30 years. We reconnected intensely on an emotional level and to make long story short, we ignited a flame that both eventually burned us. but true and it proved to be 6 happiest months of my life. I realized now that it's not all about what happened between us but more about what's going on in our own separate lives. I'm kinda heart broken right now and I want to blame fb.

vCash
    And of course there are the flames you find just by meeting people there. I've befriended someone who's an uber-fan of the same band I uber. Now we're flirting voraciously. Of course, I'm in Chicago and he's in NYC

vCash
    So funny this thread is here now, as my ex just friended me on FB. I haven't responded yet. We didn't have a bad end to our relationships so much as it was just...not good. We pretty much trashed everything that was special about us by not making the break up final. So after a few years of "benefits" he pulled the plug. I knew it was the totally right thing to do, I just hadn't been able to do it myself. It was painful, but a relief because it forced us both to move on.

Anyway, I moved to a new state and made the occaisional appropriate overture. Simple things like an email when I moved, a post card when I passed the bar exam, a message of congratulations to him and his wife when he got married and had a baby, stuff like that. It was all met with complete silence.

So now he's friend requested me, some 3.5 years later, out of the blue. I couldn't help but notice he sent it around midnight his time. I should really listen to my instincts and ignore it, RIGHT? Things are going really well with my boyfriend of 18 months, and it would feel like cheating to friend the ex on FB. But then...why should it feel like cheating if it's just seeing each others wall posts? Maybe ignoring the friend request makes more of it than it is? ARGH! Technology makes complications so ... accessible.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.