vCash

Home Renovation/Decorating Programs

Rfishers decorating thread got me thinking about the renovation/decorating programmes on TV. People have probably seen a lot more than I have. But here are my favourite shows.

My favourite is Grand Designs. Love Kevin McLeod. Best presenter on TV period. The Australian version was okay but not as good as the UK one.

And I managed to see an episode of Colin and Justin's Home Heist on the weekend. Really enjoyed it. And I loved "How not to decorate". Those guys are hilarious. I think they are my favourite decorating presenters.

Also 60 Minute Makeover is another guilty pleasure. They do a crap job (after all how good a job can you do in 60 minutes?) but I enjoy the results.

I don't know if those Hoarder shows would classify here but the transformations can be amazing (personal and property).
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I love Grand Designs as well - people with pots of money building their dream homes, some are all kinds of fabulous but others decidedly odd Kevin McLeod is good as the presenter (except for his wobbly head) and I love the fact that each episode has an entirely different kind of build.

60 Minute Makeover's usually full of great ideas and shows what can be done if you have a gang of willing helpers. At least in the current series the presenters do make a point of saying that everything is removed from the rooms pre makeover and that all the preparatory work has been done before the team moves in. Clearly though, hours have been spent working out what needs doing in each room, all furniture and fittings bought and delivered, etc.

Colin & Justin - although I like Colin, I find Justin to be patronising and offensive to other people on the show so don't watch it anymore.

One show I enjoyed was House Doctor with Ann Maurice particularly the early series with joint presenter Alistair Appleton - this was the show doing home makeovers to make unsold houses sellable -basically de-cluttering and repainting, getting rid of, er, unpleasant smells and giving general advice but at least something which was attainable by your average diy-er
    Last edited by skatefan; 04-05-2011 at 11:41 AM.

vCash
    I like "Sell this House" with Tanya Meme and Roger Hazard. They tend to do things fairly cheaply, and give ideas that even those with limited budgets can adapt and do something with.

I find the "Hoarders" style shows too depressing to watch. I very much like real estate shows, though. House Hunters International, Selling New York, and shows like that are a lot of fun. Selling New York actually went into one of my favorite NYC houses - the Pumpkin House:
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/r...s-81408-059698

The guy wanted to sell it for something like 3.7 million US. It was one of the few shows where I wished I had that money. I'd buy the house and almost everything in it. That's my kind of clutter.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I guess that I need to check out this "Home Heist" with Colin and Justin then. Sounds quite interesting... And "Grand Designs" as well...

I'm totally dependent on US cable, so HGTV tends to be my safe territory. I think that "Curb Appeal" and "House Hunters" are my faves.

vCash
    I am all about real estate shows, although they tend to depress me. Everywhere else is cheaper than where I live!

Big fan of House Hunters, House Hunters: International, and Property Virgins. Although, I do get tired of the "granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, double sinks, man cave" mantra.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Big fan of House Hunters, House Hunters: International, and Property Virgins. Although, I do get tired of the "granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, double sinks, man cave" mantra.
    I think that's why I kind of prefer House Hunters: International over the original version; it's usually not someone agonizing over which of the 3 boring McMansions to choose.

vCash
    My favorites are House Hunters (both versions), Bath Crashers, Color Splash & Divine Design. But we watch a lot of other shows. HGTV & DIY are 2 stations in which both mr. nerdycool & I can watch with great interest.

And I am also tired of all the granite countertop, stainless steel appliances, double sinks & man cave talk. But my favorite is when someone complains about wallpaper or wall color like it's the deal breaker. Out of everything that you may have to do, tearing down wallpaper & painting is probably the easiest & cheapest fix.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I love House Hunters and wish I had been watching that and Property Virgins back when I was buying my house, so I would have known what to really look for, what to ask, how not to be a pushover, and settle for something when I could have gotten something a lot nicer. I love House Hunters: International just to see what the different living styles are in other countries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I like "Sell this House" with Tanya Meme and Roger Hazard. They tend to do things fairly cheaply, and give ideas that even those with limited budgets can adapt and do something with.
    I like this show too! Tanya has so much personality! Do they still tape this show?

I also like "Designed to Sell". I admit I don't care much for Monica (too country), or the guy (too contemporary), but the other two designers Tanya Nayak and Lisa La Porta are the bomb.

vCash
    Another show I loved was World's Greenest Homes. It wasn't so much about the process of decorating but how people found environmentally friendly solutions for their homes. There were some fabulous ideas. It think it was a Canadian show.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I like this show too! Tanya has so much personality! Do they still tape this show?
    Yes, it is still taping.

I just went to my library website to see if Tanya's movie, Terror Inside, also starring Corey Feldman, was in stock. Sadly, somehow, no local libraries have it.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    I'm hopelessly addicted to HouseHunters: International.

I liked the original Flip this House.
    But my main decor guilty pleasures were Changing Rooms (loved Lawrence and Handy Andy) and Garden Force.

vCash
    My favorite is a canadian show "Sarah's house". She is an interior designer who spends extravagant amounts of money redecorating a home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My favorite is a canadian show "Sarah's house". She is an interior designer who spends extravagant amounts of money redecorating a home.
    I get so frustrated watching Sarah. She makes major errors in measurements, or goes way over budget to put in a swimming pool. If she were working on my house I would be very nervous because she is all about design and not about finances. Of course, she can do that because she has a TV budget to back her up.

Love the outcomes, nevertheless! The great room of her cottage is gorgeous.