Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    So true. I worked with someone years ago that did not have a car and talked about how green she was etc. But she was very persuasive with folks to get rides or help moving big purchases. Folks complained that she never offered gas money or something.

The apt in this article is so small. If it was my first apt, I would have been fine, but now, not so sure. And I am very conscious of what I own (not minimalist), but refuse to expand to the space I actually have. I have an attic, that I have been in once and have nothing up there. Seems to me some people can fill the space they have because it is there.
    I know single people who have a 3 bedroom house because they need something for all their stuff. I am about to move into a 2 bedroom place which isn't really that big but will give me a bit more room than what I am used to.

We used to have a sustainability coordinator at work here who was always going on about her enviromental credentials but was a total hypocrite. She pissed people off with her lecturing and superior attitude. And she was lazy and never did any work. Along with the rest of us, even the boss was glad to see her go.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post

Yes, that's the one.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I could even fit all my books (and I'm probably paying less per month on a mortgage on a 1400sqft house.) Forget anything else.

Plus--I'm claustrophobic. I need at minimum the ILLUSION of space! I'd handle Thoreau's cabin at Walden better than this (having been in the replica at the Concord Museum more times than I can count, if I had fewer pets plus the root cellar he had that the replica doesn't, it might even work. Because it has big windows for the time and isn't surrounded by a billion other buildings.) Just living in NYC would drive me insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I could even fit all my books (and I'm probably paying less per month on a mortgage on a 1400sqft house.) Forget anything else.
    You could? Or you couldn't? It sounds more like you couldn't. I could - I gave away or sold most of my books 6 months ago and am SO glad I did. It was so liberating. I grew up in a house with shelves and shelves of books...which were never read more than once. I am determined not to let that happen to me

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Don't many apartment buildings in Manhattan have some small amount of storage space for tenants (fee or no fee?).

vCash
    They probably got turned into apartments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    They probably got turned into apartments.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    LOL. It didn't occur to me that the storage space might be larger than the actual apartment. (Wasn't there a creepy scene in a NYC storage space in Single White Female? The whole movie was great and creepy.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    It really isn't that bad. I could live in that room pretty comfortably.
    I wouldn't want to, but could if I had to. The only problem for me is that I cook often, so would need a kitchen.
    Sleeping in that small space would be no problem. I'm short, and am one who could have a full glass of wine on his bed, and the next day, it's still there standing.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    You could? Or you couldn't? It sounds more like you couldn't. I could - I gave away or sold most of my books 6 months ago and am SO glad I did. It was so liberating. I grew up in a house with shelves and shelves of books...which were never read more than once. I am determined not to let that happen to me
    Oops, couldn't. I have more than 3000 myself and I can't even fit them all HERE, let alone in some cubbyhole! I pretty much can only sell ones I buy with the express purpose of flipping (assuming someone buys them!) And I can't pass up a used bookstore, library sale, goodwill...I can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Someone might throw them out or recycle them or something. (And yes, there are still days when I don't have anything to read.) We've probably got somewhere around 8000 books at home, including the ones of mine that were there. Hard to count because I have a lot my mother doesn't have in her catalog.

But then, I've never really bought into 'simplify' when it comes to stuff. People come and people go, but stuff is forever. (Assuming it's old and interesting. I suppose someday I'll probably have to cave and get a smartphone or an ipod or something like that, but I've never seen any reason to yet.) And it's never a good idea to toss anything big, you'll need it again. I'm glad we kept all my horse's old things for five years after he died, even though I didn't think I'd ever buy another. It came in handy when I changed my mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    But then, I've never really bought into 'simplify' when it comes to stuff. People come and people go, but stuff is forever. (Assuming it's old and interesting. I suppose someday I'll probably have to cave and get a smartphone or an ipod or something like that, but I've never seen any reason to yet.) And it's never a good idea to toss anything big, you'll need it again. I'm glad we kept all my horse's old things for five years after he died, even though I didn't think I'd ever buy another. It came in handy when I changed my mind.
    I have been watching too many of those "Hoarders" programs. Your description makes me think one day I will see you on there.

But I know what you mean. I still like my CD collection and keeping all my books. Maybe I think having copies of Shakespeare from school hopefully would make people think I am cultured if they looked at my book collection.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    And hoarding is sometimes profitable. I'm being paid thousands of dollars to organize an attorney's 20 years of files in various locations . He's brilliant at his job, but he's either been incapable or uninterested in basic office maintenance; feels more comfortable being surrounded by clutter . I wonder what his office will look like one year after I complete the project.

Blergh
    vCash
    Some people do feel more comfortable in clutter. I know I am. I feel as if I know where every thing is, although I know the reality is that I don't. It is exciting when I find things I forgot I had when I do clean up.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Some people do feel more comfortable in clutter. I know I am. I feel as if I know where every thing is, although I know the reality is that I don't. It is exciting when I find things I forgot I had when I do clean up.
    Depends on what it is, though. Old drawings or knickknacks are fun, but I unnecessarily bought another charcoal pad in a certain size because I had forgotten that I already had one in the closet. That kind of stuff annoys me, because now I have TWO used charcoal pads that I have to somehow use up, in addition to the 5+ years' worth of art supplies I keep telling myself I'll use someday.

It actually energizes me when I manage to donate/rid of/sell some of my stuff. I guess clutter could be okay if I was better about organizing it, but since being inefficient is one of my pet peeves, having a lot of space just to store my stuff nags at me.

It's also a guilt thing. If I have something around because I tell myself I'll use it someday and it's been years since I touched it, I feel guilty every time I look at it. Getting rid of said object is an easy fix to that mental block.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Felice's 90 sq. ft. apartment in NYC that set off the OP is having its rent raised from $700 to $1200.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/...6pLid%3D132452

Given its location and the fact that the landlord is apparently renovating it, I'd still grab it if I could.

This 80 year old dude has been living in 1200 sq. ft. in Greenwich Village (above the Cherry Lane Theater!) for 50 years and pays $331.76. Mr. Warwick doesn't plan on dying so as not to give up his rent-controlled space.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/ny...e-theater.html
    Last edited by soxxy; 02-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post

This 80 year old dude has been living in 1200 sq. ft. in Greenwich Village (above the Cherry Lane Theater!) for 50 years and pays $331.76. Mr. Warwick doesn't plan on dying so as not to give up his rent-controlled space.

That place is amazing! I am so jealous.

A friend of mine pays $1800 for a ridiculously tiny place in the West Village. You can barely fit a bed in her bedroom.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I saw an episode of Internatinal Househunters within the last year (and a re-run just last week) of a young lady looking for a place in Paris and one of the apartments she looked at was very similar to this including the loft bed. If I remember correctly, it was the one she picked.
    I'm not sure how my coworker and I got into this conversation, but he's from Paris and only after he moved to the US did he get to experience an apartment where he could extend his arms and NOT be able to touch his kitchen and bathroom.

He did not know what to do with the space here.

Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post

Go old dude!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    That place is amazing! I am so jealous.

A friend of mine pays $1800 for a ridiculously tiny place in the West Village. You can barely fit a bed in her bedroom.
    $1800 for a one bedroom in the West Village? Sounds like a steal!!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I am watching Selling New York (oh, I need to go to New York City!!!), and there is a couple looking to rent. They are willing to RENT for $9,000 per month. WHAT!?!?!?! That's just under how much I pay my mortgage in a year!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I am watching Selling New York (oh, I need to go to New York City!!!), and there is a couple looking to rent. They are willing to RENT for $9,000 per month. WHAT!?!?!?! That's just under how much I pay my mortgage in a year!
    We watched an episode the other day and it was a couple looking to rent (maybe the same?) and my BF and I were SHOCKED that they were looking to rent. How can you justify throwing that much money away?! If you have $9,000 a month that is available for mortgage/rent then find a place to buy. I know buying is expensive but I would think $9000 a month would be a place worth about a million or so? I would think you could find that in NYC. Maybe they are so filthy rich that they rent places everywhere so as to not have to worry about it or worry about selling it later and they don't ever need to think about getting their money out of it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast