Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    It's amazing what people will put up with when they want status! But if it's really her choice, that's fine.
    That's an awfully convenient location in Manhattan. I could easily live there for that price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    You can't compare her to the average person; this is NY - she needs to be compared to the average NYer and the tons of small, quirky apartments that exist all throughout Manhattan. (If I had a dime for every Manhattan apartment I've seen that had a shower in the kitchen or built-by-the-tenant loft beds and closets because there was no other choice, I'd never have to work another day in my life.)
    O.k., take it easy...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I wouldn't have a problem living in a small apartment/house like this one, but I'm in agony just thinking about sleeping in a bed so close to the ceiling.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem living in a small apartment/house like this one, but I'm in agony just thinking about sleeping in a bed so close to the ceiling.
    I'd wear a helmet until I got used to it....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    I'd wear a helmet until I got used to it....
    I agree!

vCash
    This appartment was featured few days ago in one of the "remodeling" shows on HGTV (Home and Garden TV) in USA. I don't remember the name of the show, but it has a female host, located in NY with 2 female assistants.

Well...... at the time of the show this tiny appartment was occupied by the 2 assistants (a couple), and the Host renovated it...

Made the "upstairs bedroom" into "Aladdin's den" with Oriental flavor.
    Changed the ladder that leads up to a lighter version.
    Changed configuration of the closet in the hall-way.
    Installed a wall-bed/pull out bed
    Put mirrors on the side walls to visually expand the narrow guest area
    etc.....
    Looked comfy enough for 2 people...

(I could not find a video).

vCash
    That was an episode of Dear Genevieve. (Genevieve Gorder, not our admin. ) Apparently the 2 don't live there full-time, but it was impressive how the apartment was changed to comfortably fit 2 people.

vCash
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but people seem really offended by this. Why? I wouldn't choose to live in that small of a space personally, but it obviously works for her. I don't get what the big deal is.

Of course, there is the legality issue on whether or not it fits building code. However, considering she volunteered to have her apartment featured in a nationally-circulated video/article, I guess there's no problem with it, or if there is, something may be done about it.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I could live in a pretty small apt, but I couldn't sleep that close to the ceiling all the time.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Beach Bum
    vCash
    When I lived in NY in the late 70s to early 90s, my friend lived for at least 10 years in an SRO (single room occupancy) with a shared bathroom down the hall and just a half fridge with an electric burner hotplate. It was tiny like the apartment in the video. She paid $90 a month. She loved it - her closet was under the bed loft and she had space for a desk and small sofa. She danced in Bway shows and went on tour a lot, then she worked in restaurants and went to design school in between shows so she was rarely home. She saved her $$ for all those years and then moved back to the Bay Area and had enough $$ for a down payment on a water view house in Sausalito she bought with her boyfriend. Bought it for 400k, sold it years later for 2 million and has a huge spread in Kirkland, WA with another killer view. All on her savings from living small in NYC. Not bad.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    When I was in college, we had a loft built for our beds so that we could have more floor space. After smacking my head on the ceiling 3 times and falling out of the bed (6 feet to the floor) twice, I swore to myself, never again.

More power to this chick if she can live like that, but my diva self cannot live without a bed on terra firma .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    It's really not that bad. People are adaptable.
    Yep. Add to this that Americans' have, on average, the largest houses in the world, so it must seem really tiny compared to other places, but I have seen similar stuff before.

I couldn't sleep so close to the ceiling (I know this for certain...I slept in a bunk in a caravan most summers as a child and hit my head more than once) and I couldn't live without a kitchen, but her bathroom is roomier than mine and she has more space in her one living room area than I have in my bedroom.

I've seen far worse things in China and Japan where people want to live close to work. Those places make this look luxurious!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I went to boarding school, and the thing to do was to put skybeds in the rooms because they were damned small and made for 2. I don't think they were *quite* as close to the ceiling as this woman's bed is, but they really freed up space. I always wanted skybeds but never had a roommate who was into it.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    As others have said if she is happy with it, then good on her. I think she is being practical and if anything quite sustainable as she wouldn't be generating a big environmental footprint.

Here in Australia people just build really big places. And as much as my friend and I love looking at display homes, we both think that many of them are excessive and just pandering to what people want, not what they need. Most of them are big enough that you could fit 2-3 units into the size of one house.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    she seems to like it but she said she also rents studio space for her shrinky dinks. i think i would rather rent one space and use it for both.
    It's probably cheaper for her to rent the two spaces. In NYC, you can get studio spaces fairly inexpensively, but it's illegal to live in them. And a lot of artists prefer to use such spaces rather than their homes, because the materials they work with are better left outside the home.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    You can't imagine she has much of....a love life, with the bed being that close to the ceiling
    Only if you think of it as a strictly horizontal thing, and strictly for doing in a bed... I mean, she can do downward facing dog on the rug in the living space
    Last edited by LadyGray; 04-06-2011 at 12:56 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    I mean, she can do downward facing dog on the rug in the living space
    Tell us more.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    There are times when I wish I had only as much stuff as could fit in that space. I used to have the smallest (maybe 3x of a twin bed in size) room in a 4-BR house with 3 other gals, and it was wonderfully simple. I also got to do the 1040-EZ for taxes (took 5 minutes!!) because I made a whopping $6 an hour.

I sincerely hope she is never seriously injured. That would be the most major drawback to a tiny place like that--what happens if she breaks her leg, for instance?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't think I could live in something THAT small but I do know I could live in a smallish space. I don't have very many belongings at all and have no trouble parting with things.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It makes that apartment in Tokyo (or was it Hong Kong?) with all the sliding walls positively spacious!

I can understand why she'd live like that. The whole point of living in NYC is to not spend time in your apartment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast