Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Получать вокруг Москва общественным тра&

I'm going to Moscow for Worlds in 3 weeks.

Any tips as to how I can get around using public transport (without too much human interaction if possible).

For instance, do they have automated ticket machines I can use?

I think the length of my request cut off the thread title...so apologies for the incomplete translation.

Paradise, CA... but home will always be MA!
    vCash
    I spent a month in Moscow a couple of months ago. You'll have to buy your metro card at the counters but if you simply state the number of rides you want then they'll give you the price and you pay... not much of an interaction. As for the metro there it's just an automated "gate" type thing, hold your card in front of it it subtracts 1 ride from your card digitally and you're on your way. You don't have to deal with anyone.

Learn the metro map!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Any tips as to how I can get around using public transport (without too much human interaction if possible).

the best way to avoid too much human interaction is to avoid using public transport....

Moscow metro is your friend! and like senzafine371 said: buy a card (and avoid rush hours).....

vCash
    If you're feeling adventurous, you can use the mashrutkas. They're smallish vans/largish cars that follow established taxi cab routes that pick you up and take you wherever. Some are nice and very professional. Some fall into the nebulous category of "interesting." It's less people and more cogenial, in general, OTOH, if you are in the van with someone crazy or who smells funky, it's not like you can get up and move.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I just hope they arrange for shuttle buses to and from the arena, because 'marshrutka' drivers are capable of taking people on very exotic trips, and you can never be sure where you end up You can also take a walk to Megasport Arena from Dynamo (Динамо) metro station (on the metro map, this station is in the upper part of the dark green line). If you're a fast walker, it takes about 15 minutes, and it won't be difficult to figure out the route - just follow the croud!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Has anybody recently had any troubles in Moscow or St-Petersburg with using in ATMs credit cards issued abroad, not in Russia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Has anybody recently had any troubles in Moscow or St-Petersburg with using in ATMs credit cards issued abroad, not in Russia?
    USA issued cards have been having problems with some ATM machines and check-out devices through out Europe, because they don't have a "chip" (only magnetic tape). Most of card scanning equipment in Europe is switching to "chips recognition". But there are many variations, exceptions, and details to what I am saying. US cards still do work in many places.

Banned Member
    vCash