vCash

Duke Lacrosse accuser: Will attempted murder charges finally get her behind bars?

North Carolina stripper/author accused of stabbing boyfriend in the chest

I'm not sure how this piece-of-sh*t escaped jail time for extreme purjury/attempting to ruin the lives of several young men on that Duke lacrosse team. I'm not sure how she was able to "write" a book about said debacle and I guess make money. I'm not sure how she escaped jail time for [cough allegedly cough] setting fire to her house (with her children inside) to kill off a prior boyfriend.

Given all the above, one has to think that Miss Mangum has a chance to wiggle out of this one too ... claim self-defense for stabbing her current boyfriend in the chest. But, c'mon, lady justice ... when is something going to stick to this wretched woman?!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Wow, she sounds like a real winner!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    I'm not sure how this piece-of-sh*t escaped jail time for extreme purjury/attempting to ruin the lives of several young men on that Duke lacrosse team.
    It wasn't just her, it was the prosecutor as well. One of my students went to high school with one of the lacrosse players. Cameramen were parked outside their home around the clock and harassed the family as they left for work. They're a wealthy family, but the cost of lawyers--they hired very expensive ones because of their wealth--sent the family into financial trouble. I think they sued the prosecutor's office but don't know if there's been a settlement.

vCash
    That Duke lacrosse case was so very frustrating.... girls like her make it that much harder for real sexual assault victims to be taken seriously! But I still think disturbed pathological liars like her - and Tawana Brawley - are the exception and by no means the rule.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    It wasn't just her, it was the prosecutor as well. One of my students went to high school with one of the lacrosse players. Cameramen were parked outside their home around the clock and harassed the family as they left for work. They're a wealthy family, but the cost of lawyers--they hired very expensive ones because of their wealth--sent the family into financial trouble. I think they sued the prosecutor's office but don't know if there's been a settlement.
    They sued both the government (for the actions of the prosecutor's office) and the school ... the school settled, and I think the government did, also. IMO, it was much more the prosecutor's office than the accuser. She even changed her story in ways clearing many players, so any reasonable person would have dropped charges quite quickly. Instead, it was Nifong (the prosecutor) who kept the case alive ... and hid exculpatory DNA evidence to do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I've often thought that most people didn't take away what is, imo, the most important lesson from this case. If the accused players hadn't had affluent parents who could afford to hire them the best lawyers possible; the prosecutor may have succeeded in railroading them.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I've often thought that most people didn't take away what is, imo, the most important lesson from this case. If the accused players hadn't had affluent parents who could afford to hire them the best lawyers possible; the prosecutor may have succeeded in railroading them.
    True. But, in my line of work, the fact that they were wealthy spoiled preppies worked against them, the socio-economic schaudenfreude kept them in the headlines. Had it been the lacrosse team at a lesser-known school, with average middle-class parents, the storyline would have been more resistable for the media.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    True. But, in my line of work, the fact that they were wealthy spoiled preppies worked against them, the socio-economic schaudenfreude kept them in the headlines. Had it been the lacrosse team at a lesser-known school, with average middle-class parents, the storyline would have been more resistable for the media.
    Oh, I agree. However, while it was a hellish ordeal for the young men and their families to go through, the case's high public profile probably worked in their favor. If the media hadn't been all over it, Nifong would probably have got away with prosecutorial misconduct.

vCash
    Well, the media first worked against them, there was much public outcry about these horrible lacrosse players victimizing this poor stripper and the school hushing it all up.... then the prosecutor's office went into overdrive, eager to nail these kids, but it turned out there was no DNA evidence and the victim's story started to fall apart but the prosecutor's office went full steam ahead anyway.... and the media got skeptical and eventually rallied to the defense of the players.

Very weird.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    She's a piece of work. She just finished probation for her Feb 2010 "incident" and now she's back in the legal system.

Gotta wonder about this bf's intelligence for getting mixed up with someone who would slash your tires, smash your windshield and set your clothes on fire in the bathtub with the police and her own three kids in the apartment at the time.

The judge lowered her bond today and told her to have no contact with the boyfriend she tried to kill, including (gasp!) "Don't text him. Don't Facebook him. Don't have anyone else do it on your behalf,"

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/...gums-bond.html

vCash
    Unfortunately, there are many more like her.

In some communities, there's a subculture of using the legal system and threat of lawsuits to get money. It's been a terrible problem in my area, so much so that some of my peers are becoming wary of working with some organizations. Most recently, a co-worker was in a very minor accident (no injuries) while transporting children to an after school program. Parent of one child claimed terrible injuries, got a sham medical report to back it up, and threatened to sue. Fortunately, my co-worker's insurance was on it right away and it won't cost her much to defend herself. They told her it happens "all the time" and to get a special rider on her insurance if she continues to work with the organization. What a mess.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    The charge is most likely going to be updated to murder now. The boyfriend died Wed, April 13.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42585078...me_and_courts/
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    That is sad news. Hopes he get justice.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    That Duke lacrosse case was so very frustrating.... girls like her make it that much harder for real sexual assault victims to be taken seriously! But I still think disturbed pathological liars like her - and Tawana Brawley - are the exception and by no means the rule.
    It's not just frustrating, it's disgusting. This woman has no part in my sisterhood.

I hope she gets her comeuppance. Unfortunate it might take this tragedy to do it.

vCash
    Expect an insanity plea.

vCash
    Read "It's Not About the Truth" the version of the Duke Lacrosse incident from the perspective of the the former coach, who was unnecessarily fired, and from some of the players, all of whose lives were forever affected by this woman's lies. I believe that the former District Attorney might still be in jail for his part in misreporting the details of this event to make it look like the players were guilty, all while he was running for office again. I cannot even talk about the purported victim, this girl, who is now in trouble for a third time. Please let these charges be tried honestly and forthrightly.

vCash
    .....and yet there's a group of people calling themselves "Friends of Crystal Mangum" and claiming that the system is corrupt and everyone's against her.

"It's almost like a form of lynching, what's happened to her," said Myra Kinderknecht of Fayetteville, a Friends member. "Everything that has happened to her screams white power, black oppression."