Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Receiving mail addressed to former tenants

I live in a boarding house which had several former tenants. So of course we receive numerous mail meant for them. Usual thing to do is to write on them, "Return To Sender", or RTS. But I found a way to spice this up. Ready?

OMG! WTF? RTS!

Just a suggestion.

vCash
    while you think that it is funny, what our postman told us was that anything sent bulk mail, such as coupons, catalogs or advertisements would be delivered to the current occupant.

If this is your situation, you are not sending any message to the sender of the mail, you are just throwing it back in the postman's face with a comment that should not be directed at him.

If the mail is indeed intended for the previous occupant - asking the post office to stop delivery is a better way of dealing with it. The WTF comment is totally unecessary.

but then you are a rude person, is it might work for you.

vCash
    I still get old mail on occasion for the previous tenant and continue to send them back. I usually write a "moved, return to sender" message them and put said mail in the post box rather than leaving it outside for the postman. But after a while they are annoying.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Every now and then I still get mail addressed to the original owner of my house. And I'm owner #4! Mostly its just junk mail, but occassionally I get credit card offers in previous owners names. I tear those up and throw them out, but scary to think that someone in my previous residences could be getting credit card offers addressed in my name.

vCash
    I return to sender anything that looks important (wedding invitations, birthday cards) and just throw all the rest out.

vCash
    When one of my buddies was still delivering mail to my job (which is how he and I met), I asked him that the protocol is about that. He said that anything that has either stamps and metered postmarks needs to be marked "Return to Sender" and sent back. Anything that is obviously a bulk mailing can be tossed out.

And I agree with numbers that the OP is being very rude. It is not the mail carrier's job to try to figure out who is and who is not a current tenant. They just deliver the mail as addressed. My employer still gets mail on occasion that is addressed to a previous tenant who used to rent out part of our front building (this tenant isn't even in business anymore). As it's just bulk mail, it just gets tossed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    It is not the mail carrier's job to try to figure out who is and who is not a current tenant.
    Our post office requires our last name to be printed in the mailbox. They will not deliver until your name is in the mailbox. (We got a notice three times after we moved in saying our mail was not being delivered because we did not have a tenant name in the box.)

So we have the security risk of having our name written in our mailbox, and yet they still deliver mail to other names.

You said "it's not the mail carrier's job to determine who the current tenant is" why is it the current tenants's job to ensure that mail is properly returned?

vCash

Mea culpa

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    while you think that it is funny, what our postman told us was that anything sent bulk mail, such as coupons, catalogs or advertisements would be delivered to the current occupant.

If this is your situation, you are not sending any message to the sender of the mail, you are just throwing it back in the postman's face with a comment that should not be directed at him.

If the mail is indeed intended for the previous occupant - asking the post office to stop delivery is a better way of dealing with it. The WTF comment is totally unecessary.

but then you are a rude person, is it might work for you.
    Point taken, I'll refrain from doing it. And I apologize to everyone I've offended.
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 04-12-2011 at 11:54 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

...why is it the current tenants's job to ensure that mail is properly returned?
    It's not, it's just the right thing to do. If they just throw it away they're not liable but just a shitty person.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Our post office requires our last name to be printed in the mailbox. They will not deliver until your name is in the mailbox. (We got a notice three times after we moved in saying our mail was not being delivered because we did not have a tenant name in the box.)

So we have the security risk of having our name written in our mailbox, and yet they still deliver mail to other names.
    If it's last name only, that's not a security risk. And you can always get a PO Box if it bothers you that much.

And hey... mail carriers are human beings, they do make mistakes sometimes. But for the grace of the Universe go you. You think you can do better? Take the exam and try to get in on one of those jobs. Good luck , though... you better score in the high 90's to make the cut most places and even be considered for a job interview, and then you'll be a Part-Time Flexible until you have enough seniority to bid for a steady route of your own.

You said "it's not the mail carrier's job to determine who the current tenant is" why is it the current tenants's job to ensure that mail is properly returned?
    You want me to ring up my buddy and get his input? He's been retired for 6 years, but he put in 30 years with the USPS, he still is active with NALC (National Association of Letter Carriers union) and his gf is also an Albany, NY City Carrier.

vCash
    The funniest mail from a previous resident I ever got was a video catalogue for a sex shop. I noticed it came from Canberra (which funny enough at the time was probably the only place in Australia that sold sex videos by mail) and thought it was a bit strange. So decided to open it and have a look. Gave my boyfriend at the time and myself a good laugh going through the titles.

I usually just RTS anything to do with a previous resident. Although in this particular case it was the second one I had received (the first one I RTS'd). And I figured if the previous resident wasn't desperate enough to notice he wasn't going to get his catalogue and let them know he had changed address, he probably wasn't going to miss it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    For the first home I owned, the previous occupant (rented from the owners) died of a brain tumor in her 30s. I would occasionally get mail that read "To the estate of..."

After missing an electricity bill and a phone bill in one summer (along with regularly receiving my neighbors' mail), I had to change to online bill pay for the most important bills.

Sometimes I put a post-it note on the mail and put it back in the box.

vCash
    I just had a crappy thing happen, with regard to the mail. My mother passed away 3 weeks ago which, in and of itself, was devastating. I am executor of her will. I probated the will 2 weeks ago, the Letters of Testamentary were sent to me at the correct address. Somehow they were delivered to the wrong place. The 9 X 12 envelope was opened along the long side (sliced, not torn). Whoever opened it must have realized it wasn't their mail, shoved the Surrogate Certificates back in and threw it back in the mail. Never resealed or taped the envelope closed. They arrived at my home at least a week late, holding up my ability to handle some urgent affairs. The Certificates were half out of the envelope and could have fallen out completely. Can you imagine opening something that important, regarding the loss of a family member and not even having the decency to re-close the envelope? What kind of person is that callous?

vCash
    I'm very sorry for your loss cruisin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I just had a crappy thing happen, with regard to the mail. My mother passed away 3 weeks ago which, in and of itself, was devastating. I am executor of her will. I probated the will 2 weeks ago, the Letters of Testamentary were sent to me at the correct address. Somehow they were delivered to the wrong place. The 9 X 12 envelope was opened along the long side (sliced, not torn). Whoever opened it must have realized it wasn't their mail, shoved the Surrogate Certificates back in and threw it back in the mail. Never resealed or taped the envelope closed. They arrived at my home at least a week late, holding up my ability to handle some urgent affairs. The Certificates were half out of the envelope and could have fallen out completely. Can you imagine opening something that important, regarding the loss of a family member and not even having the decency to re-close the envelope? What kind of person is that callous?
    Sorry about your loss.

As distressing as it is to you, they probably just looked at who it was addressed to, realised it wasn't for them and put the stuff back in the envelope without knowing what it was even about. It wasn't their fault they got your mail. They could have just tossed it in the rubbish. Unfortunately the emotional weight of the situation on your part doesn't necessarily mean that people are going deal with things in an any more special way than what they probably would normally do.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 04-13-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    If it's last name only, that's not a security risk. And you can always get a PO Box if it bothers you that much.
    It's last name, but it's easy to look the last name and find the phone number and call inside, then when no one answers rob the place.

I know you can do that anywhere- but it's not quite as easy as when you have the name available right in front of you. (Of course, you could also just take a piece of delivered mail out of the box...)

I'm not sure if I could get a PO Box...I think the post office has a waiting list. I guess I could get one of those UPS boxes.

You want me to ring up my buddy and get his input? He's been retired for 6 years, but he put in 30 years with the USPS, he still is active with NALC (National Association of Letter Carriers union) and his gf is also an Albany, NY City Carrier.
    I'm happy to know you know someone who worked for the post office. If that's the game we are playing, my Uncle also did 30 years with USPS.

vCash
    Is it the job of the mail carrier to pick up mail? If so, I suppose you can leave it for them to take back. Around here mail carriers deliver only, and I wouldn't expect them to take something out of my mail box. Anything delivered to me for a neighbour, I just deliver myself. As I've been at my address for 40 years, I don't get mail for any previous tenants. I happen to like the Post Office - they agree with me as to what town I live in! Thanks to amalgamation, most of the rest of the country and computer applications think I live in another city. They are wrong - so there.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I just got mail for someone else today. It was the caretaker who lived in our house while the estate was getting it ready for sale. Normally, I'd just throw it out but it's a settlement check for some class action suit and the guy probably would like his $47. Not what I know where to send it.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    Is it the job of the mail carrier to pick up mail? If so, I suppose you can leave it for them to take back. Around here mail carriers deliver only, and I wouldn't expect them to take something out of my mail box. Anything delivered to me for a neighbour, I just deliver myself. As I've been at my address for 40 years, I don't get mail for any previous tenants. I happen to like the Post Office - they agree with me as to what town I live in! Thanks to amalgamation, most of the rest of the country and computer applications think I live in another city. They are wrong - so there.
    Yes, it is their job to pick up mail, and if you leave something outgoing clipped to your mailbox, they are supposed to take it with them (and I would imagine that individual PO's aren't supposed to be making their own rules about this kind of thing). I haven't visited a mail box in I don't know how long. My co-workers and I put out our personal mail right alongside the outgoing mail for the business, and the carrier takes both stacks. We do have to keep the stamped mail in a separate stack from the metered mail.

Is your zip code shared by two different municipalities? That is the case for several zip codes in my area, including the one where I grew up - 12303 is a Schenectady zip, but it is also a Guilderland zip. Schenectady also shares a zip with the Town of Niskayuna. But that really becomes a hassle with people trying to find my place of employment. 12204 is a Menands zip (where the business is located) but it is also an Albany zip. And Menands doesn't have its own post office, so our mail comes from an Albany carrier annex. Another problem is that there IS a 566 Broadway (our street address) in the City of Albany proper. I'm forever getting calls from people driving around downtown Albany trying to find us, when we are actually several miles to the north.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    When I moved, the mail delivery guy stopped to talk one day to get my name, so he'd know to take anything addressed to the prior owners' back without delivering it. Some stuff still gets missed--mostly I toss it, but if it's actually something that doesn't look like junk mail I write "Not At This Address" and put it back out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast