Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I saw about 20 minutes of Eat Pray Love, got nauseated and turned it off. I never disliked Julia Roberts but few characters are more annoying than hers in this movie.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I saw about 20 minutes of Eat Pray Love, got nauseated and turned it off. I never disliked Julia Roberts but few characters are more annoying than hers in this movie.
    Thanks for the warning. This is on Netflix streaming and I've been tempted but keep remembering horrible things I've heard about it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Thanks for the warning. This is on Netflix streaming and I've been tempted but keep remembering horrible things I've heard about it.
    It's unoriginal, narcissistic and annoying. It makes Gwyneth Paltrow" The Goop blog seem adorable by comparison.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    Okay, I know this recommendation is out there, but Paul (yes, the alien movie) was hilarious! When my husband & I saw it, the entire audience was howling with laughter. This is NOT a kid movie - adult situations & language, & the movie pokes major fun of creationism. But if you're not uptight about religion (creationism specifically), it's a really funny movie.
    We're going to see this tonight. Glad to know it was decent.

My girlfriends and I rented Eat Pray Love. We fast fowarded through any part that didn't include Javier Bardem

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, the sight of Javier Bardem was probably the only good thing. But I didn't get that far.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    AMEN! I have loathed this entire series. After the first one was so bad, I skipped PC and then read AWFUL things about VDT.
    I thought the first one was a fairly faithful adaptation, actually. I saw it with my cast of the play The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (so they had all read it) and we were really happy with their adaptation. Which is part of why we were all so miserable when the next two seemed to be barely based on the books.

vCash
    We didn't make it the movie today, we were going to see Lincoln Lawyer. My bf had a gift card and it turns out it is for only one theater in town and that theater is one we refuse to go to. Not safe and you can never enjoy a movie. We are just going to give the gift card away as a re-gift, haha.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I thought the first one was a fairly faithful adaptation, actually. I saw it with my cast of the play The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (so they had all read it) and we were really happy with their adaptation. Which is part of why we were all so miserable when the next two seemed to be barely based on the books.
    I didn't think Prince Caspian was THAT bad when it comes to keeping with the story. I mean sure they did Caspian/Susan but the basic plot line was still there IMO. Movie adaptations are never going to be exact.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader was glaringly different from the book. I mean there are literally no words to describe how different. Although I sort of understand why, I wondered how they'd make a movie out of that one (the most boring book).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I didn't think Prince Caspian was THAT bad when it comes to keeping with the story. I mean sure they did Caspian/Susan but the basic plot line was still there IMO. Movie adaptations are never going to be exact.
    Well they changed Caspian's entire character both in age (he is supposed to be younger than Edmund) and in temperament, changed a lot of the dynamic between him and Peter and in general made Peter a lot less likeable. And then there was the whole foolish "let's storm Miraz's castle and get our entire army killed" business which really bothered me because the decision is not consistent with either character. I don't require the movie to be an exact retelling of the book, I was perfectly happy with the first movie which, while it makes a few changes, stays true to the characters and the story. But Prince Caspian was fairly off and Dawn Treader was a disaster.

(sorry to anyone who doesn't care about this at all.)

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Should I see Lincoln Lawyer or Insidious? I love horror movies. Is Insidious good?
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    If you like the books at all, it was TERRIBLE. I have no idea why you would make movies based on a truly great book series and basically throw the books out the window. If you haven't read the books, maybe you will like it. I have no idea. But if you have read the books, this one is AT LEAST as bad as Prince Caspian. I am pretty sure they read the dust jacket and nothing else.
    Unfortunately,I have read the books and am in the process of reading that part of the series.I have been exclaiming throughout the book "That was NOT in the movie"... I hate it when they change things,when what is written is equally impressive/exciting.

vCash
    Well they changed Caspian's entire character both in age (he is supposed to be younger than Edmund) and in temperament, changed a lot of the dynamic between him and Peter and in general made Peter a lot less likeable. And then there was the whole foolish "let's storm Miraz's castle and get our entire army killed" business which really bothered me because the decision is not consistent with either character. I don't require the movie to be an exact retelling of the book, I was perfectly happy with the first movie which, while it makes a few changes, stays true to the characters and the story. But Prince Caspian was fairly off and Dawn Treader was a disaster.

(sorry to anyone who doesn't care about this at all.)
    Well,the majority of that movie,didn't happen in the book at all.That's what is so bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Should I see Lincoln Lawyer or Insidious? I love horror movies. Is Insidious good?
    I thought Insidious was pretty good actually.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I saw Limitless the other day. It was AWFUL.
    I saw Limitless last Saturday, and really enjoyed it. I thought the plot was good, as was Bradley Cooper. And while he is quite handsome, I've never been a fan of his. The only thing I didnt like was the camera "trick", where the camera would travel, in fast motion, down some avenue thru Manhattan. They just did it one time too many times (at least), and I thought I was going to be motion sick.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    Okay, I know this recommendation is out there, but Paul (yes, the alien movie) was hilarious! When my husband & I saw it, the entire audience was howling with laughter. This is NOT a kid movie - adult situations & language, & the movie pokes major fun of creationism. But if you're not uptight about religion (creationism specifically), it's a really funny movie.
    I think Paul looks very funny. It's high on my list to see. I'm glad to hear you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    <snip>
    Death at a Funeral=bad/not funny
    <snip>
    Not sure which one you're talking about. THe original British version of this movie was hysterical!

We also saw Red Riding Hood this weekend, and I hate to say it, but it wasnt as bad as I expected. A little Twilighty/music video-y, but once it got started, it didnt suck (hows that for praise).
    Erm.... I got nothin'

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I just got back from Insidious. I loved it. Some parts were hilariously funny while I wanted to jump out of my seat at other parts. Loved it
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    Well,the majority of that movie,didn't happen in the book at all.That's what is so bad.
    I'm not exactly sure which of the movies you are talking about or whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

vCash
    If you like documentaries then I recommend watching Pie in the Sky. It is a documentary about Brigid Berlin who was good friends with Andy Warhol and part of his entourage. Quite fascinating. It was shot 10 years ago and she fully participates and it is interesting to see her then and now (10 yrs ago). She is one extremely interesting person. I wish I could have been a part of that, seems like a blast!
    -Brian

vCash
    I put on a random movie today that is on Netflix Streaming that was very good. It has Ryan Gosling in it so of course I had to look for the eye candy if nothing else. It also stars Kirsten Dunst.

The name of the movie is All Good Things.

It is about a man who is a real estate heir and his wife. He has some obvious mental issues and then the wife goes missing. Lots of twists. This is a true story and I actually remember this making the news but did not realize until the very end which story I was hearing. Something happens at the end and you go "ah ha, I remember that CRAZY story." I had not heard much about the beginning, it wasn't as scandalous, so it didn't click which was nice because it kept my interest the entire time. Give it a try!
    -Brian

vCash
    I belong to a film club that sees movies before release. We saw 'Incendies' over a month ago and it is now out in NYC, not sure where else. Excellent movie, disturbing, so some may not like it. Set in Montreal and mostly Middle East (country not named, but probably Lebanon). Very well made, interesting story, well paced, great acting. I have belonged to this film club since 2002, we see 14 movies a year. This is the only movie that received no negative ratings (Bomb, Poor) and only positive (Excellent, Good, Fair).

vCash
    Is Incendies the one about the kids (adults really, but someones kids) tracking down their mother or her origins and going to the middle East? The previews looked powerful.
    -Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast