Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Movie Reviews and Recommendations

Okay, I have none. But I'd really like to read y'alls . I'm thinking of seeing Source Code and Lincoln Lawyer. Any good?

Oh yeah, Rango and Insidious are other possibilities.

Well, really any reviews of any movies of any sorts--have at it.

And if ebayj is around, any reviews of limited release movies would be greatly enjoyed . Not that I'd likely ever see it, but vicarious movie-going works for me

vCash
    I've heard that The Chronicle's of Narnia:Voyage of the Dawn Treader was good but not as good as the first one. I am waiting to see for myself.

I've also been told by a movie going friend that I am Number Four is really good as well.

vCash
    I saw Limitless the other day. It was AWFUL.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My bf and I are going to see Lincoln Lawyer tomorrow so I will be sure to come back and let you know how it is.

I am glad you started this thread. I watch a lot of odd movies on Netflix and some of them end up being quite good so I can let you all know which ones to look out for.

I recently saw a French horror movie called Inside. It was one of the goriest things I have seen but that is how the French like to do them. I recommend it if you like gory horror movies. It is subtitled for those of us who don't speak French but there isn't a lot of dialogue so it is no big deal. Give it a try if you like that kind of thing.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Thanks all

Anyone seen the Adjustment Bureau? That looked interesting.

Just got back from seeing Source Code. Rather trippy movie--reminded me of Inception in some ways (insofar as it messes with reality). I liked it and would give it a good recommendation to anyone considering it. If anyone has seen it, I had some questions about the very end (I can post it in spoilers because it is a spoiler kind of movie).

vCash
    Lincoln Lawyer's pretty good. Skip The Adjustment Bureau (sorry PRLady--I'm with your daughter and BR on this one). Unless you're looking for something to mock--then I highly recommend it.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I saw Limitless the other day. It was AWFUL.
    What was wrong with it? The plot sounds fairly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Skip The Adjustment Bureau (sorry PRLady--I'm with your daughter and BR on this one). Unless you're looking for something to mock--then I highly recommend it.
    It's that bad? Was the entire movie a fail, or was it just a particular actor/plot hole?

My hopes are being dashed

vCash
    No, the entire movie wasn't a fail, and the love-story aspect of it was well done. I totally bought into Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's Epic Lurrrve, which was a good piece of acting on their part and directing on the director's part, as you would not have bought it in other situations. The acting was good all the way around.

The whole thing was just hokey, and the ending was eye-rolling and cliched. The sci-fi/fantasy aspect of it was not well thought-out and poorly done. It was almost like they said, you know, we gotta wrap this up amd close it up, but we don't have time, so we'll pull a conclusion out of a hat. I've heard the short story it's based on is much different and much better.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    I've heard that The Chronicle's of Narnia:Voyage of the Dawn Treader was good but not as good as the first one. I am waiting to see for myself.
    If you like the books at all, it was TERRIBLE. I have no idea why you would make movies based on a truly great book series and basically throw the books out the window. If you haven't read the books, maybe you will like it. I have no idea. But if you have read the books, this one is AT LEAST as bad as Prince Caspian. I am pretty sure they read the dust jacket and nothing else.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I finally rented Burlesque It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, although Xtina Aguilera's wig was a nightmare - you know when your hair looks more fake than Cher's, there's a problem - and overall she did not exactly look "fresh". but aside from some real clunkiness about the central relationship and the unbelievably bad final song, it's good campy fun.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I just saw the movie Flipped, and I loved it. simple, honest, and totally sucks you in. That one was a pleasant surprise

vCash
    Okay, I know this recommendation is out there, but Paul (yes, the alien movie) was hilarious! When my husband & I saw it, the entire audience was howling with laughter. This is NOT a kid movie - adult situations & language, & the movie pokes major fun of creationism. But if you're not uptight about religion (creationism specifically), it's a really funny movie.

vCash
    I saw Jane Eyre and enjoyed it, though the main actors were the most awkward kissers. Plus, I had to giggle every time the horse was on screen, because Mia Wasikowska (Jane) said in an interview that every time Michael Fassbender (Mr. Rochester) got on the horse, it got rather aroused. The trainers would walk it and ride it to calm it down, then Michael would get back on and it would happen again. But in any case, it was a good movie.

One of my friends saw the Lincoln Lawyer and enjoyed it. She said that it's amazing how people always think of Matthew McConnaughay as a crappy actor in his crappy romcoms, but then he does something like this and you go 'wow, he can actually really act!'

I'll probably go see Scream 4 when it comes out in a few weeks. It'll be oh so awesomely crappy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    If you like the books at all, it was TERRIBLE. I have no idea why you would make movies based on a truly great book series and basically throw the books out the window. If you haven't read the books, maybe you will like it. I have no idea. But if you have read the books, this one is AT LEAST as bad as Prince Caspian. I am pretty sure they read the dust jacket and nothing else.
    AMEN! I have loathed this entire series. After the first one was so bad, I skipped PC and then read AWFUL things about VDT. I'm truly hoping they quit and don't make any more because they're so bad I think they will actually turn people off the books thinking they must be awful, too (which, of course, they're the best books ever written imho )

The BBC series is far and away better than these. Sure, they have very low-budget fx, but they're true to the story and they must've spent a lot of $$ on that animatronic lion (who is really gorgeous).

-Bridget

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Every time I read Lincoln Lawyer, I think of Lincoln Logs. did anyone else have those as a kid?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Every time I read Lincoln Lawyer, I think of Lincoln Logs. did anyone else have those as a kid?
    Oh yeah…….Once the novelty of making the same damn cabin over and over and over, my cousins and I discovered that they made great weapons (and had them taken away in the process) .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I saw Jane Eyre and enjoyed it, though the main actors were the most awkward kissers. Plus, I had to giggle every time the horse was on screen, because Mia Wasikowska (Jane) said in an interview that every time Michael Fassbender (Mr. Rochester) got on the horse, it got rather aroused. The trainers would walk it and ride it to calm it down, then Michael would get back on and it would happen again. But in any case, it was a good movie.
    I saw Jane Eyre last week and am not recommending it; there is no chemistry between the leads at all and the second hour of the movie feels like it lasts for 3. It just plods on and on and on; I thought it would never be over.

vCash
    If you have tweens to entertain, the new Wimpy Kid movie isn't bad. Not believable at all, but what else is new. And I know this isn't a new movie, but I recently watched Whip It, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

having a nice day
    vCash
    The Ghost Writer=good/intellectual
    Greenburg=bad/not funny
    Death at a Funeral=bad/not funny
    Repo Men=good/gory
    $5 A Day=good/funny
    Harry Brown=good/gory
    That Evening Sun=good/thought-provoking
    Iron Man 2=good/action-packed
    Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky=good/sexy
    Babies=good/thought-provoking
    Robin Hood=good/action+intellectual
    You Don't Know Jack=good/thought-provoking
    Inception=bad/total suck
    Gamer=meh/interesting concept but.....
    The Social Network=bad/total suck
    The American=bad/v useful as a sleep aid
    Nowhere Boy=good/tear-jerker

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Whoever knew the Chronicle of Narnia films were so hated?

OK, the children are slappable in all three films, but I quite enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Thought Voyage of the Dawn Treader was OK, although that may have something to do with being stuck on an airplane with nothing to do. Prince Caspian was a bit meh, but I still watched it to the end.

I never thought much about the books, so that may help.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast