Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Joe Wright's remake of Anna Karenina

Wow, in 6 years, Jude Law goes from Sexiest Man Alive to potentially playing Anna's physically repulsive, older husband.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/James...ina-24013.html

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    And that's a shame. He was so pretty in The Talented Mister Ripley.

What roles were James McAvoy and Saoirse Ronan signed for, do you suppose?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I looked it up on IMDB, and there are umpteen different versions. Of the ones I've seen, Garbo is my favorite Anna, Sean Bean my favorite Vronsky and Ralph Richardson my favorite Karenin, though Basil Rathbone comes close. There was a version with Jacqueline Bisset and Christopher Reeve that I must have missed.

vCash
    I think Ronan is probably up for Kitty. I wonder if James McAvoy will play Levin, although I think the guy from Kickass would be a better Levin and James McAvoy a better Vronsky.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ooooh. I think Ronan is all wrong for Kitty.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That is one of my favorite books,it's always interesting to see a film made of the books one likes.I think the only one I've seen is the one with Vivien Leigh.

Jude law isn't physically repulsive yet,they'll have to do some work on him I guess.Yes he looks older,but we all age.

I'm going to have to hunt up all the other versions of this now.I'm curious.

vCash
    If he loses anymore hair, it shouldn't be that difficult to make his ears look weird.

There was a Masterpiece Theatre version with Kevin McKidd as Vronsky and Helen McRory as Anna which I only saw some of. My Russian professor and I were talking about it and he didn't particularly like it.

When I did NanoWriMo one year, I tried to do an updated version of Anna Karenina with Anna being the wife of a socially conservative politician,Vronsky was the son of a diplomat and a low level state department employee and the Lidia Ivanovna character was a closeted Karl Rove type.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    They have the Masterpiece Classic version on Netflix streaming. I added it and plan on giving it a try.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Not sure how many people are gonna watch yet another version of this story. But the cast sounds awesome.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I have never cared about Jude Law, but James McAvoy... I just adore him. I hope they cast him as Vronsky.

I wonder if it will be possible for me to not be dissapointed with this upcoming film. Last year I saw brilliant play of Anna Karenina and I'm still in compleate aw!

vCash
    How many times has this book been put on film? I think IMDB.com says at least ten versions. There was a TV version made not too long ago. I've seen the Garbo and Leigh versions, and prefer the latter.

vCash
    Joe Wright and Keira Knightley together seems to create magic. I hope the third time works just as well as the first two!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I started watching the Masterpiece Classic version and don't think I will watch the 2nd part. I didn't read the book so I can't comment on believability of characters, looks, etc. However, I felt absolutely no chemistry between Anna and her lover. I didn't believe they had fallen for each other and was shocked when suddenly he is with her. Perhaps it was a problem with the script but I think it was the actors.

I know this was a British made film but it really bothered me that this was all taking place in Russia yet everyone had a British accent. I get why they spoke English but couldn't they work with somewhat Russian accents or just tweak the story to have it take place in England?
    Last edited by BigB08822; 04-04-2011 at 06:14 AM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I don't feel like Knightly is the right actress to play Karenina. I would prefer someone slightly older and more mature. In fact, I see only a great diva actress who can carry the part. Someone like Cate Blanchett perhaps.
    My favorite screen Karenina remains to be Tatyana Samoilova of Russian version.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    How many times has this book been put on film?
    There's a contest going on with Jane Eyre, obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I think Ronan is probably up for Kitty. I wonder if James McAvoy will play Levin, although I think the guy from Kickass would be a better Levin and James McAvoy a better Vronsky.
    I can't quite see McAvoy as Vronsky. I vote for Levin.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumm_wind View Post
    So true.

vCash
    I don't see Knightly as a strong enough actress to play Karenina, but Joe Wright's directing it so obviously it was going to be Knightly. I agree with millipied that Cate Blanchett would have been great.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumm_wind View Post
    Well, Mia Wasikowski is not winning. She was blah in Alice in Wonderland and sounds like she is more blah as Jane Eyre. Why does she keep getting jobs that she can't seem to properly do?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I don't see Knightly as a strong enough actress to play Karenina, but Joe Wright's directing it so obviously it was going to be Knightly. I agree with millipied that Cate Blanchett would have been great.
    Cate Blanchett is too old to be Anna Karenina. I don't know if Keira is a right fit but I am sure Blanchett is not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast