vCash

Team Competition - 80's Style

If they had the team competition back in the 1984 and 1988 Olympics, these could have provided some epic match-ups:

USA: Hamilton, Summners, Carruthers, Blumberg & Seibert
    Soviet Union: Fadeev, Ivanova, V&V, B&B
    Canada: Orser, Thompson, U&M, Wilson & McCall
    East Germany: ???, Witt, Baess & Thierbach

I think the USA would have won this one - better singles than the Soviets and close enough in pairs and dance. Even subbing out Chin or Zayak would still work.

USA: Boitano, Thomas, Watson & Oppegard, Semanick & Gregory
    Soviet Union: Petrenko, Kondrashova or Ivanova, G&G (or V&V or even S&M), B&B (or K&P)
    Canada: Orser, Manley, Benning & Johnson, Wilson & McCall

I think that this could be a great event - just think of the depth in some of the events for the countries.

vCash
    Watching the team competition over the weekend I was thinking of how a team competition would of played out in years past, and of course picturing rivals being 'forced' to cheer for their teammates in the cheer cubbyholes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Watching the team competition over the weekend I was thinking of how a team competition would of played out in years past.
    Me too. I came to the conclusion that Russia would have been unbeatable in 1998, 2002 and 2006.

vCash
    I think the only other countries that would be able to field full teams during those years would've been Great Britain and West Germany.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Me too. I came to the conclusion that Russia would have been unbeatable in 1998, 2002 and 2006.
    I wonder how 1994 would have played out? Since, despite winning gold in pairs, dance, and men's, Russia didn't have an entry that year in the ladies event. Likewise, France had strong showings that year in men's ladies, and ice dance, but no pairs team that year in Lillehammer.

vCash
    I wonder how 1994 would have played out? Since, despite winning gold in pairs, dance, and men's, Russia didn't have an entry that year in the ladies event. Likewise, France had strong showings that year in men's ladies, and ice dance, but no pairs team that year in Lillehammer.
    Given how the russian girls performed at 94 Euros, I'm quite sure they would had send one if a gold was up to grab. Same for France, they would had send Abitbol Bernadis instead of leaving them at home.

vCash
    Oh, I thought there would be discussion about fours.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    I think the only other countries that would be able to field full teams during those years would've been Great Britain and West Germany.
    In 1988 at the World Championships in Budapest, Czechoslovakia, Japan and Australia were represented in all four disciplines (although the Australian and Japanese pairs weren't invited to the Olympic Games).

I almost forgot to add that China had a pair, a dance couple, a man, and a lady in Calgary.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 02-11-2014 at 09:24 AM.

vCash
    Watching the team competition over the weekend I was thinking of how a team competition would of played out in years past, and of course picturing rivals being 'forced' to cheer for their teammates in the cheer cubbyholes.
    Imagine 1994 with Tonya and Nancy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    Given how the russian girls performed at 94 Euros, I'm quite sure they would had send one if a gold was up to grab. Same for France, they would had send Abitbol Bernadis instead of leaving them at home.
    Russia did not have a ladies' spot for the 1994 Olympics. The spots were all determined by 1993 Worlds finish. Butyrskaya did not get past the qualifying round. There was no second-chance fall competition to earn spots as have been used for subsequent Olympics.

I'm not sure how many pair teams qualified, but Abitbol/Bernadis were 19th at 1993 Worlds, so that might not have been good enough to earn a spot either. Or were they injured or something?

However, if the rules had been similar to this year, e.g., Britain getting to enter a man in the team event even though they didn't have a spot for the individual event, then Russia could have sent a lady, and presumably France a pair assuming they had a healthy one available.

vCash
    Was Nancy recovered enough to compete so early in the Games?

vCash
    Wouldn't Russia have been able to enter a lady for the team event in 1994 even though they didn't qualify for the individual, the same as Matthew Parr was allowed to skate for GB in the team event this year?