Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Okay - I admit I thought the guy playing Cesare looked familiar too, but couldn't come up with a name and since it was driving me crazy I went for the similarity to John Kerr to stop distracting myself from the play. But if anyone figures it out please share it here.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I haven't seen The Borgias, so I can't comment on that, but, in general, the costumes, sets, details, etc., are there in support of the story, the drama. In the case of Mildred Pierce there is no drama because the whole thing moves at a glacially, deadly dull pace with deadly dull performances to match.
    I wouldn't say it was deadly dull, but several parts of it dragged. And the story was all about self preservation, but being pope seems to have been hazardous to the health back then.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I dunno. I really really liked Jeremy Irons in this. I think he is much sexier than that Cesare guy, his son.
    But overall...of course it's about the Borgias so there should be sex and violence but still. The sex is fine but the violence I can't stomach. So I am not sure I will keep watching.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I watched part of it again last night with a friend who'd missed it, and again I couldn't get out of my head how, um, impressive it was that, for Roderigo's coronation/investiture (whatever they call it for a pope), they managed to use "Zadok the Priest" ... over 200 years before it was written.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The first episode was on Showtime/Ions preview last night. Sadly, on Ions they blurred out all the naked parts. The actor playing Cesare Borgia is hot and I wanted to see his butt. The Borgias were such a nice family.
    I watched it on: http://www.videobb.com/video/QRsD2B2w01yO

Cesare was very and the reason I went hunting for a non-blurred version!

vCash
    I've watched the pilot and it was awesome. You must watch.
    Some say that in the Autumn all her arms go brown and fall off. And that if she wrote you a letter of condolence she would at least get your name right.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Sorry just getting to this now, but it's been a busy week.

Loved. it!!

Yes, it did drag a wee bit here and there, but all pilots/premiere episodes do for the most part, so I'm okay w/that. My main quibble was how freaking low the dialogue was. I was at my sister's and we had to put the volume on the TV as high as it could go due to my BiL now having hearing loss just to hear it. He's an Italian immigrant, so naturally he wanted to see this and that was the worst part of the entire thing, especially since he was looking so forward to this too.

I might have to end up putting Ep 3, since we had two back to back last week, on DVD since I have a feeling it'll conflict w/the Final at the Men's World Curling Championships. Oh well...There are worse things and I am also having fits trying to figure out why the guy playing Cesare is so familiar!! I *know* I've seen him somewhere before.

Oh and I didn't know that Colm Feore was on the cast until that Opening Credits went across the screen. That's when this silly stupid grin came on my face as I realized Christmas 2011 came a bit early for me and I had *two* of my very favorite actors to look forward to watching in this.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Here is the IMDB page for the actor who plays Cesare. I don't recognize him but maybe one of these titles will be familiar:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2957696/
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Here is the IMDB page for the actor who plays Cesare. I don't recognize him but maybe one of these titles will be familiar:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2957696/
    Yes. Jái Tue Ma Mere was something he was in. It is on my "to watch" list.

I started watching this show two nights ago, just because Jeremy Irons and Colm Feore were in it. Even if it was a shit show, it would have redeeming qualities just because these two were in it.

It is a (mostly) good show. Some of the dialogue is a bit cliche, and worthy of a few groans, but I can tolerate it.

vCash
    So far I like the show, don't love it, but I Love Jeremy Irons. You can tell he is having fun. The scenes when he is eating fruit shows how cool he is. Also the son Cesare is geowing on me. It is nice seeing Colm Feore. He is one of those actors that I did not know his name, but Know the face and always good. Also enjoying the scenery and costumes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I missed the last episode because the time changed from the first one. Plus, I think the first one was two hours and I only taped one hour.

Drags. Not available on Shaw on Demand of course.

I don't mind paying to order the videos from this site but that means I've be inundated with emails from them forever after. Any way around that? Or, any way to watch these elsewhere? I checked Bravo but they don't have it available online.

vCash
    Never mind...I didn't realize they are not free sites.
    Last edited by GaPeach; 04-13-2011 at 05:15 AM.

vCash
    I do! Not! Understand! Why people find Francois Arnaud attractive….

http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio/ima...ents/90814.jpg
    http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...as92o1_400.jpg

…… his cranial features resemble the Neanderthals of Gibraltar…… extending mid-face, circular orbitus, cheek-bone angles….
    http://www.rdos.net/neanderthal.jpg

….. just saying…. Nobody needs to stop liking him…. .

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't find him attractive at all. Le shrug.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I am on Dial Up and therefore please don't post any links to video sites as an answer to the following question of mine please and thanks. My computer connection just can't handle it.

Okay then...

We had Thunder and Lightening on and off for the majority of Sunday, but the worst of it came just as the episode started and...Between losing the satellite signal twice and the power going out three times, I really didn't get a good look of this past week's eppy. What I did see...

Spoiler

Anyone who's willing to help me out by filling in the blanks, thanks!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Anyone who's willing to help me out by filling in the blanks, thanks!!
    I found this...... (not my writing):

Castel Nuovo in Naples: Prince Alfonso and King Ferrante giving audience to Cardinal della Rovere. They discuss the deposition of Pope Alexander. Vatican palace, private apartments: Pope Alexander and Cesare dine and discuss della Rovere’s flight to Naples, and decide it is high time to use certain methods to block his forthcoming attempts to depose the pope. Rodrigo asks his son, “You have someone who knows how to wield a good garrote, do you not?”, in reference to Micheletto. Alexander feels that it is time for della Rovere to have "a change of collar", if Cesare's man can arrange it, obviously alluding to murdering Cardinal della Rovere. We return to Naples to see della Rovere and Prince Alfonso discussing a possible agreement to support della Rovere’s plans to enlist France, as enemies of Naples’ other enemy, Spain in return for help against the Borgias. Rodrigo ponders his empty coffers and says that he sympathizes with the Spanish Jews, referred to as Muranos, recently expelled by the king and queen of Spain and trying to escape the Inquisition. As a stranger in a foreign land he can relate to their plight. He decides to open the doors of Rome to the exiles, but for a handsome price. Cesare notes that this may not sit well with the majority of the people. Juan enters and discusses portraits and other frivolity while Cesare broods over his presence. His astuteness and foresight are becoming more apparent. .In Naples: Prince Alfonso takes della Rovere to King Ferrante’s famous museum of dead adversaries, those who once sang his praises but then disappointed him are now at their Last Supper, arranged at long banquet table in poses mimicking the painting. Alfonso mentions that his father is still looking for his Judas, as there is one space empty at the table. He comments that the Borgias have Murano blood and should be removed. Surprisingly, Della Rovere tells Alfonso that while the Borgias are without scruples and may not be the best Christians, they have little, if any, Murano blood. The young prince makes light of the situation and invites della Rovere to stay as his personal guest and make use of the excellent and famous sulfur baths built by the ancient Romans. Rome: Cesare speaks with Micheletto about the use of a garrote and sheepishly admits he has never seen one. Micheletto demonstrates its ability by cutting open a melon in one motion. His next mission is to rid the Borgias of the della Rovere threat. Juan poses for a portrait by Pinturicchio on a noble white stallion, lighted by candles held by servants. He notes that the he wanted Leonardo da Vinci, but the pope wouldn’t pay his high fees, and anyway “he rarely finishes anything he starts.” He threatens a servant at swordpoint to hold the candle higher and this muses that this "will show da Vinci highlights." Micheletto journeys south to Naples by horse and as Della Rovere sleeps, Micheletto walks through the medieval castle halls, lurking behind tapestries and staying in the dim shadows. He even has a sit down with the occupants of Ferrante's Last Supper room.

Rome: Cesare dresses for the ceremony to raise the new cardinals. Rodrigo, calling him his beloved son, notes that crimson suits him. He earnestly asks for his son's acceptance of the role he has been given. “Forgive my ambitions for you but they have been such for you since the day you were born. It is your destiny to follow in my footsteps…tell me you accept this calling.” Cesare accepts, but only grudgingly. The baths at Naples: Prince Alfonso informs della Rovere that his father's advisers are considering his proposal to band together against the Borgias. Della Rovere takes the waters, and is shadowed by a mud-covered Micheletto, who turns his back toward della Rovere while preparing to kill him and is discovered by his back scars. Della Rovere yells "Assassain! Guards!" A guard dives in attacking Micheletto and after a struggles dies by the cheese-cutter garrote. Micheletto begins killing those impeding his escape, leaving a wake of bodies. Alfonso rails against della Rovere for bringing open violence upon his kingdom in a public bath and tells him to leave Naples at once, "unless you want a place at my father's table!". The scenes flash to St Peter’s Basilica during high mass, a soaring choir accompanies the solemn ceremony of the raising of the cardinals, Cesare accepting what is thrust upon him and Pope Alexander smiling upon him.
    Later at the Borgia's dovecote, Cesare vents disappointment at Micheletto’s failure, asks him to lay low and avoid all scandal for a while. Rodrigo & Giulia are in his bedchamber in a loving embrace admiring the portrait gallery, when Cesare walks in annoyed, to speak of matters of state. Giulia starts to leave but Rodrigo stays her to ask her opinion about Muslims and Jews in Rome. Rodrigo states that he is one of those men who believes all men, Jews and Muslims as well, are linked by their shared love of God; he wants his reign as pope to marked as being like Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. Giulia balks at the idea of a heathen at the Vatican. Alexander, however, believes all men of the book deserve friendly treatment in Rome, and he will accept the Ottoman sultan’s offer to 'host as foster' pretender to the throne Prince Djem for the fee of 40,000 ducats a year. Next we see the formal audience with the Ottoman ambassadors presenting Djem to the pope. Time passes as the Borgia children and Djem sit down to an outdoor banquet after a hunt, where he charms the Borgias – especially Lucrezia - with tales of hunting in his homeland. Juan takes Djem through the city and Djem notes the many different people he sees. Juan explains they are Spanish Jews given asylum in Rome and Djem is impressed with this gesture on the pope's part, even if it's for a price. After settling in, Djem and Lucrezia play croquet in the courtyard, discussing her marriage news and Turkish marriage customs. Lucrezia express worry about who will come courting her and Djem assures her that “you are the most beautiful treasure the Vatican has to offer” and any man should be honored to have her as his wife. However, Lucrezia is bothered by Djem’s description of the difference between wives and concubines and resolves that she will not be beaten or treated thus; Djem affirms this by offering to strangle anyone who’d harm her. Later, Vanozza and Rodrigo discuss Lucrezia’s need to marry. Vanozza lobbies for Lucrezia to at least meet her intended and Rodrigo says he will do what he can.
    Juan and Djem practice swordplay while Cesare and Rodrigo look on. Rodgrio notes that Djem's 40,000 maintenance fee is lucrative but he would be more profitable if he were assassinated, and notes to Cesare the sultan even asked him to do so and would pay 400,000 for his murder. Rodrigo later consults Cesare about Rome being awash with European suitors for Lucrezia’s hand. They list the Colonna, Medici, d’Este, and Sforza as potential allies. Rodrigo is pleased with having so many choices; Cesare, not so pleased. A parade of suitors ensues, each more amusing than the next. Lucrezia asks Cesare if she must marry and declares she will never love a husband as she loves him. She again ponders the thought of becoming a nun and taking holy orders, just like him. He is visibly saddened by her fears and like a good big brother, tries to warn her that life is unfair . He promises to take vengeance on any husband of hers if he indeed “proves ungallant.” While visiting with the very young Venetian prince who has arrived for her hand, Lucrezia and Djem share a poignant moment while dancing, and the pope doesn’t like it. He states to Cesare that the moor is outstaying his welcome. The stately and formidable Catherine Sforza visits the pope on behalf of her ‘cousin’ Ludovico Sforza, duke of Milan. Giovanni Sforza is the pope's choice for Lucrezia but Catherine states he will be unable to meet Lucrezia until the matter of dowry has been settled. Rodrigo decides to take the Ottoman sultan up on his offer as it rids of him a possible interfering suitor and becomes the solution to Sforza’s request for Lucrezia’s enormous dowry.
    Juan, taking on the task of getting rid of Prince Djem, asks Cesare for the services of his man Micheletto and Cesare refuses him, leaving Juan to his own inferior devices. Juan resorts to using the kitchen staff, one of whom suggests the only way to poison Djem is to add cantarella to his tea, which is always served by Djem’s ‘blackamoor.' Meanwhile, Djem asks for a private confession with Cesare who is surprised since he is not Christian. Djem expresses his joy at finding such goodness and acceptance in a people, compared to Constantinople and the court of the sultan. Cesare sadly mentions that Christians are not so good as he imagines. Giulia and Lucrezia are in Lucrezia’s chamber getting her fitted in a sumptuous blue gown. Giulia notes it is for her betrothal, not wedding, when Lucrezia expresses her desire for a white wedding gown. Their friendship is apparent. Djem surprises Lucrezia and her brothers with a luxurious Ottoman feast in the courtyard, featuring music and decor from his homeland. As they try some food and drink wine, Djem’s Moorish slave unknowningly prepares a poisoned mint tea; unknown to all but Juan. Prince Djem toasts them and their friendship and with his kind words sips the poison. Shortly after during a game of bocce ball with Cesare, Djem falters and is held up by Cesare, spitting up blood upon Cesare, saying he is sorry to have spoiled his cardinal clothing. Later that evening, Juan and Cesare discuss the botched job with Micheletto, who notes that cantarella mixed with sugar will have the prince in agony for weeks. Cesare blames Juan for using amateurish tactics and Juan blames Cesare for not giving him the professional when he asked. It is agreed that things now need cleaning up and Cesare drags Juan down the halls to Djem's rooms. Micheletto takes care to dispose of the kitchen hand. Djem lies in agony in his rooms, moaning and contorting in pain, screaming for Cesare. Prince Djem tells him he knows he has been poisoned and blames his blackamoor. The blackamoor is taken by Juan and led away by one of the guards. Cesare instructs Juan to finish what he started and put Djem out of his misery. Juan smothers the dying Djem after a struggle. Cesare solemnly looks on as the coffin of the dead prince is taken out of the palace by Ottoman guards as Burkhart reads the list of hospitality and burial expenses. A telling letter from the sultan thanks the pope for keeping his brother and pays him 440,000 ducats. The pope prays for Lucrezia and asks God for guidance and wisdom in all his affairs. He prays he has made the right decision for her.

vCash
    Okay, someone tell me about Holliday Grainger (Lucrezia). She's just been cast as Estella in the forthcoming Great Expectations feature film. I've only seen her in Jane Eyre, and her part was too small (and poorly written, IMO) to make much of an impression. How is she as an actress? I hope she's really good -- Estella is such a fascinating role if played well.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Did anyone watch the Season 2 Premiere? Some of it was dull. The art apprentice thing is a bit and took up a lot of time, but I think the previews looked juicy.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I'm just waiting for Lucretia to turn evil :-P

vCash
    ^I think she's well on her way! That Borgia blood, she can't escape from it.

Wyliefan, here is Holliday Grainger's imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0334441/
    Besides The Borgias, I've only ever seen her in The Bad Mother's Handbook, which was a TV movie. I enjoyed it, and I think Holliday's acting has improved since then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast