Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 162
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,837
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I wonder how astounded MAW, the Countess and the mother would be to know how intensely their issue is being debated on an off-topic section of a figure-skating fan message board.
    Apparently it's being fiercely debated on message boards all over the internet, as well as innumerable news agencies. And for the most part, people have been vilifying Gartner.

    I can only imagine what this is doing to MAW's credibility with sponsors and celebrities.

  2. #122
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Parents go through a lot--no question. But it doesn't help parents or children to turn a blind eye to inappropriate behavior.
    So what are you suggesting? Policing of all blogs of sick parents' kids to make sure they behave appropriately, whatever it means by your definition. Even though this blog is publicly available, indications are there that these private thoughts were intended as snark or venting for a very circumscribed group of people and not to create scandal.
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    In the end it only enables parents to act against the best interests of their children (as is currently happening), and ultimately makes parents more miserable with fewer support networks. Living in a fantasy world with no perspective on reality is not a good thing for anyone.
    Again, hindsight is 20/20. It was unlikely that her remarks would have generated such interest and backlash and yet you seem to think she (a) knew a scandal would occur, (b) intended the scandal to occur, (c) was insincere in her calls to stop and lets not forget (d) breached the privacy of her child.

    You continually seek to accuse her of anything and everything. You have to understand that some parents deal with their child's serious illness differently from the way you would have done it. A lot, a lot of them blog about it. And a lot of them attend support groups comprised of strangers. And a lot of the time what they write/share is dictated by frustration. Have you never done anything out of frustration that you later regretted? Have you never done things that turned out differently from what you expected?
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-02-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,940
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    You are an exceptionally unforgiving person or so you appear on this thread.
    I don't think that's fair to say. I realize I can't speak for AG, but she mentioned that her own child was granted a Wish. Which suggests she has a pretty good idea of what it means to be a mom with a sick child, and also probably has a lot of gratitude towards the MAW foundation, and also what the MAW expects from families.

    What the mom did by blogging about it, absolutely would hurt the MAW foundation. Do you really think the MAW foundation was the ones who let out that the Contessa said No. Absolutely not! Not only what celebrity but what other organizations are seriously going to want to deal with MAW if their nos for whatever reason get leaked and lead to public backlash.

    That's why what the Mom did was wrong, and why she should apologize. Yes what the mom is experienced is terrible. But nobody owes the mom anything. Not MAW, not celebrities etc. I have a feeling these type of things were suppose to be confidential.

    It doesn't make the mom evil, but she should apologize.

    I STRONGLY suspect that wishes are suppose to be very confidential and that's included in part of the agreement when MAW agrees to help out. Its very possible not even close friends are suppose to know about the details of wishes, for this very reason.

  4. #124
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't think that's fair to say. I realize I can't speak for AG, but she mentioned that her own child was granted a Wish. Which suggests she has a pretty good idea of what it means to be a mom with a sick child, and also probably has a lot of gratitude towards the MAW foundation, and also what the MAW expects from families.
    But it also means she is unforgiving of moms who behave differently and do things that have unintended consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    What the mom did by blogging about it, absolutely would hurt the MAW foundation. Do you really think the MAW foundation was the ones who let out that the Contessa said No. Absolutely not! Not only what celebrity but what other organizations are seriously going to want to deal with MAW if their nos for whatever reason get leaked and lead to public backlash.
    I doubt all charity work will now stop because of this. And if it does hurt, and I hope it would not, do you honestly think that's was the blogger's intention?

    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post

    I STRONGLY suspect that wishes are suppose to be very confidential and that's included in part of the agreement when MAW agrees to help out. Its very possible not even close friends are suppose to know about the details of wishes, for this very reason.
    I've asked agalisgv if there is a confidentiality agreement but haven't received a reply.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2203
    agalisgv, that's an interesting question. As far as the celebrities go, I would expect that some might be leery of negative publicity, but that other celebrities might respond to this situation by being even more committed to help MAW.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,940
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    I doubt all charity work will now stop because of this. And if it does hurt, and I hope it would not, do you honestly think that's was the blogger's intention?
    It may have been the intention, but its why the mother should perhaps not just say I have no ill will. But also apologize. Maybe she did and I didn't read it etc. But this should have never been leaked. Period. Hey we all make mistakes.

  7. #127
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,526
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7626
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It was her own private blog
    You keep saying that, but it's not true. It's not true because it's publicly available on the internet for starters. It's also not true because the mom says in her own blog that she is blogging about her son's experiences in order to help others. IOW, she has a mission to spread his story to a wider audience in order to serve what she sees as a greater good.

    So, by her own words, in her own *public* blog, she is disagreeing that her blog only exists for a few people to read privately.

    If she just wanted to vent or to spread information to family and friends, there are other ways to do that that don't include posting to a public blog. The choice of expressing herself that way was deliberate.

    Personal news about skaters get broken on FSU all the time. Personal behavior on and off the ice gets criticized all the time, not just performances.
    Yes it does, but you are trying to start a side argument about whether or not such things should be read whereas we're talking about whether or not they should be posted to begin with. Plus, we're talking about a parent's responsibility to the privacy of their own children, not a fan's responsibility to an elite athlete.

    So... it's not relevant to ask people why they are still on FSU when people here post mean and snarky things.

    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    There I disagree. Just because your child becomes seriously ill or injured doesn't entail render one incapable of appropriate perspective, boundaries, and balancing of needs.
    I disagree too. I have friends with sick children who were born sick. So you expect to get a healthy bouncing baby and you end up living in the NICU for weeks (or months, in one case). It sucks. It's stressful. In some cases, their kids recovered but in others they have chronic conditions.

    None of my friends has acted like this woman, even the craziest among them. They obviously think their kids are first rate and the cutest thing ever, but they do have perspective and they understand about appropriate (and inappropriate) sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    You are an exceptionally unforgiving person or so you appear on this thread.
    Well, you kind of do too. The only difference is that you are not forgiving Ina Garten.

    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    But nobody owes the mom anything. Not MAW, not celebrities etc.
    ^^^ THIS.

    In the end, it really doesn't matter whether this Contessa person is a nice woman who gives to lots of charities or is stingy and mean. It doesn't matter if she gets 1 request a decade from a pre-schooler to cook with her or 100 a day. She has the perfect right to chose her charities and how she spends her time and the family is not *entitled* to have their wish granted. And that is true whether they are a wonderful, loving family who respect their kid's privacy or a bunch of freaking lunatics who are exploiting their children.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,136
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2203
    This discussion aroused my curiousity, so I googled "Make a Wish" "confidentiality agreement", and page 4 of this thread on FSU was the 3rd entry from the top on google. Interesting.
    Last edited by JJH; 04-02-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: I'm incoherent enough without adding faulty punctuation into the mix.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,940
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    I was thinking this but I read on a thread and I think its a fair point. Nobody would be criticizing the Contessa if she refused to donate money for this child or the child's family. I think its because everyone recognizes they can't give money to everyone. If anything it would be just the mother who was getting criticized.

    But for many celebrities, money is easier to give than their time.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think this has been posted yet, but the family has turned down Garten's offer to meet with their son.

    "We're not going to do it," Adrian Pereda said. "I don't want my son to go through any other stress. We just want to go on with our life."

    When asked if Enzo's still watching the "Barefoot Contessa," Pereda said, "I don't think so."

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,623
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15753
    LOL! Oh the mother just makes herself look better and better.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  12. #132
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    If she just wanted to vent or to spread information to family and friends, there are other ways to do that that don't include posting to a public blog. The choice of expressing herself that way was deliberate.
    She already had the blog. She should have considered the possibility of this happening and started a more private blog? That's unreasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

    So... it's not relevant to ask people why they are still on FSU when people here post mean and snarky things.
    Very well, why haven't you spoken up against the snarky things here on FSU but have in this case?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I disagree too. I have friends with sick children who were born sick. So you expect to get a healthy bouncing baby and you end up living in the NICU for weeks (or months, in one case). It sucks. It's stressful. In some cases, their kids recovered but in others they have chronic conditions.

    None of my friends has acted like this woman, even the craziest among them. They obviously think their kids are first rate and the cutest thing ever, but they do have perspective and they understand about appropriate (and inappropriate) sharing.
    Again, there is an expectation that everyone copes in the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Well, you kind of do too. The only difference is that you are not forgiving Ina Garten.
    Actually, I did say that it's extremely likely that Ina didn't know. You must have missed it.

    And it was known from the get go that the mother had declined when Ina Garten's people finally granted the request. She explained that by that time the boy had already moved on and started being excited about swimming with the dolphins. She felt that going back to the Ina wish would create stress. Why is that hard to understand?

    She says she wants to go on with her life and people think this makes her look worse? It really does look that posters are desperate for any shred of information that may cast a remotely negative light on her and when such information isn't exactly in ample supply, they take statements like the one above and say it makes her appear bad.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #133
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,882
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12373
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    She already had the blog. She should have considered the possibility of this happening and started a more private blog?
    Err, yes?

    Or better yet not post about it at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That's unreasonable.
    Only to an unreasonable person.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  14. #134
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    FYI, fred: someone googled this topic and this thread came up at the top of the search. Oh the irony.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,940
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    She already had the blog. She should have considered the possibility of this happening and started a more private blog? That's unreasonable.
    The point is that its not a private blog. Its out there for the entire world to see. All someone has to do is google Barefooted Contessa and eventually that blog would come up. Could it have been accident, sure. But it also could have been deliberate too. I'm not sure why Ice Alisa, you can't accept that it might very well have been deliberate when you add in the TMZ leak.

    And sure we may talk about celebrities. But Brad and Angela are broken up again isn't going to get the same kind of reaction as. So and so refuses to meet a cancer striken child.

  16. #136
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    And bek, if someone googles MAW, this thread and your posts in it will come up, including your unfounded accusations of deliberately creating a scandal. This forum is public too.

    I can't accept it because there are no facts supporting it, there are only your suspicions. I tend to cut mothers of sick kids a bit of slack when their child is involved whose feelings have been hurt.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,940
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    And bek, if someone googles MAW, this thread and your posts in it will come up, including your unfounded accusations of deliberately creating a scandal. This forum is public too.

    I can't accept it because there are no facts supporting it, there are only your suspicions. I tend to cut mothers of sick kids a bit of slack when their child is involved whose feelings have been hurt.
    I'm not the first person on the net whose suggested the mother/family has deliberately leaked this one. So how are they MY accusations. And its not particularly an unfounded thought when you have the source that LEAKED the story saying that their source came from a family member.

    Once again I never said for sure the mom deliberately caused this scandal. I said that it was possible the mom did. For sure and possible are too very different things.

    And to be frank its not the TMZ story or the original blog that has me willing to criticize the mom. Its the mom's orginal reaction to the scandal with thanking people for being willing to boycott. Even if the mom didn't intentially leak the story, I'm still :rollseyes: about that one.

    And once again I never called the mother evil, even if she deliberately leaked the story. Not once. I just said she did something wrong. We all do wrong things and say things on the internet we shouldn't.
    Last edited by bek; 04-03-2011 at 12:34 AM.

  18. #138
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm not the first person on the net whose suggested the mother/family has deliberately leaked this one. Others have, including TMZ.
    So what. Lets say, you are the person #234353432 who posted and accused the mother. Why is that better?
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Its your insistence that the mother has no responsibility whatsover that has me
    I said nothing of the sort. I am saying that people think she either did this deliberately or should have had the foresight not to vent and not implicate Ina Garten on her blog that at the time, I am guessing didn't have a huge following albeit was accessible. She is also being accused of being selfish and entitled.

    I am saying I see no evidence of malice on her part and am by the posters' continual efforts to find deliberate and malicious intent in her behavior.

    ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    And once again I never called the mother evil, even if she deliberately leaked the story. Not once. I just said she did something wrong. We all do wrong things and say things on the internet we shouldn't.
    You also repeatedly demanded an apology. If we were all forced to apologize for the snarky things we post, we'd be apologizing day and night.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-03-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  19. #139

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,940
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    So what. Lets say, you are the person #234353432 who posted and accused the mother. Why is that better?

    I said nothing of the sort. I am saying that people think she either did this deliberately or should have had the foresight not to vent and not implicate Ina Garten on her blog that at the time, I am guessing didn't have a huge following albeit was accessible. She is also being accused of being selfish and entitled.

    I am saying I see no evidence of malice on her part and am by the posters' continual efforts to find deliberate and malicious intent in her behavior.
    And once again I am seeing evidence of malice on the mother's part when she thanked people for being disgusted etc. So what if she backtracked. The fact of the matter is that was the mom's original response. So yes it makes me view the mother in not necessarily the best of ways.

    I could get over her mentioning it on the blog orginally because anyone can make that kind of slip. But the whole thank you for being disgusted. No, and its not like she deleted those posts either, even if she backtracked.

  20. #140
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    So you are not accusing the mother of being evil, rather malicious and entitled. Thanks for clarifying.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •