Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I didn't see anything saying that Ina had no idea about this particular request, that was made twice, btw.
    Here you go.
    .... rep for Garten released a statement on Monday saying that she had been unaware of Pereda's pleas for an audience with her....
    I'm not sure why that's so hard to believe. Garten has agents who handle all inquiries directed to her, as do most celebrities. And that the request was submitted twice has likely has bearing on the matter. It's not like her mail would have been stamped 'SECOND REQUEST' and then upon seeing that the rep would immediately escalate it directly to Garten.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    So we can't assume that the mother intended for things to become so public yet we CAN assume that Ina turned down the child out of pure evilness and laziness or whatever reason you want to vilify her for? I don't see how that makes sense. Ideally, we should be doing NEITHER.
    Absolutely, but then it deprives people of their opportunity to get on their moral high horse.

Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of "charity blackmail" and its impossible for anyone, no matter how altruistic, to give time and money to every single worthy cause. On the other hand, I don't think the mother intended her venting to go as far as it did, which is why she asked for people to lay off.

Again, another blown out of proportion celebrity story.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure why that's so hard to believe.
    Um...

However, it is reasonable, in fact, extremely likely that Ina wasn't informed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Quadless
    vCash
    Um...
    I think you posted that while I was making my post, so I hadn't seen your comment when I made mine.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think you posted that while I was making my post, so I hadn't seen your comment when I made mine.
    You weren't informed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    However, it is reasonable, in fact, extremely likely that Ina wasn't informed. If that's the case, her staff walked into a blunder because they didn't recognize the uniqueness of this request.
    Uh? How do you know this request is so unique? I read an article where MAW said that in cases like these celebrities really pick and choice, if they ever do them. Iva's staff apparently nicely turned them down, whereas reports are some celebrities just ignore all together.

Hundreds of request a month, is probably extremely true. Those requests might come from for example organizations that are about helping numerous children, rather than just one child etc. According to MAW, Iva's been friends with the organization before, so perhaps she has honored a request before.

It may be too that Iva felt uncomfortable being around a sick child couldn't handle it. Reports are the Contessa DOES do a lot for charity. And its her right and decision to decide what charitable stuff she does and what charitable stuff she doesn't. She can't handle them all.

Here's example apparently she turned down the first request because she was on a book tour. Now I'm sorry but that was an obligation she already had to other people. I'm sure a lot of work, time, and effort went into planning that tour. Saying, no isn't selfish in this case, its her and others livelhood.

And as for the mom, I'm not necessarily saying she's an evil human being. Just that she was wrong to publicize it. Hearing about the TMZ report makes me more annoyed with the mom though, if she leaked it.

And as for how the mother is being entitled etc. Well from where I stand, if I ask someone to do a favor for me, it is a favor not an obligation. And I don't have the right to publically talk down on a person, just because they said no to a favor. Yes her child is sick, and its horrible that her child is sick. But you know what there are thousands of sick children in this country, unfortunately.
    Last edited by bek; 04-02-2011 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    bek, there are also thousands of minor celebrities in this country. Did the mother commit some form of legal libel? Did she break the law? Posting feelings and thoughts on the internet is not illegal, as far as I know. If it is, each and everyone of us on FSU is in deep trouble. We're all entitled to our opinions and feelings, and so is the mother.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Uh? How do you know this request is so unique?
    Playing the odds. How many 6 year olds are into Ina Garten? She isn't exactly Spiderman or a star athlete.
    It may be too that Iva felt uncomfortable being around a sick child couldn't handle it.
    And now all of a sudden she is? The likeliest explanation is the one given by her staff: she didn't know.
    And as for how the mother is being entitled etc. Well from where I stand, if I ask someone to do a favor for me, it is a favor not an obligation. And I don't have the right to publically talk down on a person, just because they said no to a favor.
    She didn't talk her down. She described what happened on her blog as part of the course of her child's illness and relevant events and is asking for the madness to stop. Why do you keep insisting she deliberately caused this?

Have you ever posted anything negative about a skater here? What "right" do you have to do so on a public forum?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Playing the odds. How many 6 year olds are into Ina Garten? She isn't exactly Spiderman.

And now all of a sudden she is? The likeliest explanation is the one given by her staff: she didn't know.
    She didn't talk her down. She described what happened on her blog as part of the course of her child's illness and relevant events and is asking for the madness to stop. Why do you keep insisting she deliberately caused this?
    maybe she didn't deliberately cause this. Maybe TMZ just read her blog and reported it. Maybe. But once again she was wrong to put on the internet what happened. It was wrong to do so, period, and SHE should be the one apologizing. This could hurt the Make A Wish foundation, and other children from getting their wishes. Nobody wants to be blackmailed into doing things.

I mean seriously The Contessa won't come and see my cancer stricken child. I'm sorry but what does that give off. And once again with thousands of sick children, you don't know unique this request is for the Contessa, or not.

Have you ever posted anything negative about a skater here? What "right" do you have to do so on a public forum?
    There's a difference between discussing a skater's skating, or a public coaching break up. And airing out a PRIVATE request in public.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    maybe she didn't deliberately cause this. Maybe TMZ just read her blog and reported it. Maybe. But once again she was wrong to put on the internet what happened. It was wrong to do so, period, and SHE should be the one apologizing.
    How was it wrong? And how is it different from talking about celebrities and especially skaters here on FSU?

This could hurt the Make A Wish foundation, and other children from getting their wishes. Nobody wants to be blackmailed into doing things.
    How do you know the mother deliberately blackmailed Ina Garten? She didn't have the foresight and that's understandable. What exactly are you accusing her of? Repeating that it's wrong and selfish without backing it up isn't much of an argument.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    How do you know the mother deliberately blackmailed Ina Garten? She didn't have the foresight and that's understandable. What exactly are you accusing her of?
    Who knows if the mother did it on purpose, although if she did release it to TMZ than that was blackmail or revenge. Don't agree to my request for my child, and I'll give you a PR nightmare.

How do you know the mother deliberately blackmailed Ina Garten? She didn't have the foresight and that's understandable. What exactly are you accusing her of?
    Because most of us are talking about public knowledge stuff. We aren't talking about how Sasha Cohen was mean because she wouldn't come visit my sick daughter. If the mother was blogging about the Contessa's show it would be one thing. But to publically out the Contessa for not doing a favor is another thing altogether.

I mean can you imagine if every charity did this. Every time a celebrity said NO. Celebrities probably say no to worthy requests every day. Or what if every time you didn't donate money to a charity that you were asked, you were publically outed for doing so. My mom was telling me how she can only afford to give so much to charities. And there are some worthy requests she says no too. Not because she doesn't care but because she has other obligations to charities. She was like imagine if it was publicized every time I said No. She feels for the Contessa.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Who knows if the mother did it on purpose, although if she did release it to TMZ than that was blackmail or revenge. Don't agree to my request for my child, and I'll give you a PR nightmare.
    Once again, you are claiming intent to give PR nightmare with no evidence. You have none and yet you insist. Why?

Because most of us are talking about public knowledge stuff. We aren't talking about how Sasha Cohen was mean because she wouldn't come visit my sick daughter. If the mother was blogging about the Contessa's show it would be one thing. But to publically out the Contessa for not doing a favor is another thing altogether.
    Are you saying she contacted TMZ and other news outlets to out Ina? What are you saying? First it was blogging is bad and now she outed her? How and what evidence do you have? I think you are just intent on saying she is bad and selfish for some reason.
    I mean can you imagine if every charity did this. Every time a celebrity said NO. Celebrities probably say no to worthy requests every day.
    Did MAW ask her to sign a confidentiality agreement? Did she know that this would become so public? Hindsight is 20/20.

Are you at all familiar with the concept of UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES?

Out of all your posts, what if one negative post about a skater blew up in your face? FSU is famous in skating circles, you know. Quoted by NYT, LAT and others. It surely gets more attention than this person's blog about her child before the controversy.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Here's what the mother said in her blog:
    The immediate reaction yesterday when word started to get out that Enzo’s wish got declined was like wild fire and so many people are upset and disgusted. I also know many boycotts have started and e-mails, letters, texts have been sent out. And I truly appreciate all the passion you feel and all the love and support you have shown Enzo.

...Our family is TRULY blessed in EVERYWAY and I want to thank you again for all your love, passion, support (and cookbook bonfires that took place the past 24 hrs) HA!
    That doesn't exactly sound like someone not supporting going after Gartner. Yes, she later backtracked. But that was after the damage was done.

Here are some of the charities Gartner supports and regularly receives requests for:
    A source close to Garten said that the Barefoot Contessa believes charity and public works are part of duty as a public figure and that she works extensively for a variety of causes, including battered women, cancer patients, AIDS awareness, and animal rights.
    http://www.chow.com/food-news/77531/...of-ina-garten/

vCash
    Ice Alisa. The mother may not have intended to out the Contessa publically. It may not have been her intention whatsover. But normally when such a thing happens, you apologize. The fact that the mother's first reaction was thank you so much for the support in making the Contessa's life miserable. Says it all. And at first I was just all she was wrong to out, she should apologize.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Here's what the mother said in her blog: That doesn't exactly sound like someone not supporting going after Gartner. Yes, she later backtracked. But that was after the damage was done.
    It's her blog, intended for the circle of people who care about her son, not the general public, at least not before this incident became public knowledge. It's an outlet for her thoughts. And she was disappointed on behalf of her child. But did she maliciously intend for this to become a public nightmare for Garten?

The important thing is that she backtracked when it became big. She was disappointed on behalf of your child. Did she know that TMZ and other outlets would pick up the story? Again, first it's the breach of privacy for the child. Now it's lack of foresight of creating a PR situation for Garten.
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Here are some of the charities Gartner supports and regularly receives requests for:http://www.chow.com/food-news/77531/...of-ina-garten/
    Is anyone arguing that Garten doesn't do any charity work?

from Speedy Death

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    The important thing is that she backtracked when it became big. She was disappointed on behalf of your child. Did she know that TMZ and other outlets would pick up the story?
    No. She blogs:

PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS- This all started with a call from “Make a Wish“ on Friday warning me that TMZ published a story about Enzo’s wish being denied. WHAT? WHY? We were already moved on and getting excited about swimming with dolphins.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Right. But people are intent on vilifying the mother and making Ina the intended victim.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It's her blog, intended for the circle of people who care about her son, not the general public. It's her outlet for her thoughts. And she was disappointed on behalf of her child. But did she maliciously intend for this to become a public nightmare for Garten?

The important thing is that she backtracked when it became big. She was disappointed on behalf of your child. Did she know that TMZ and other outlets would pick up the story?

Is anyone arguing that Garten doesn't do any charity work?
    If the blog was just for those who knew her, the blog would have been on facebook and private for just those who had permission to read her thoughts. Look, I'm inclined to say she just made a mistake etc. But the fact that her first words were thank you so much folks for being disgusted, says it all.

Right. But people are intent on vilifying the mother and making Ina an intended victim.
    No. I think the mother could have just made a mistake. Maybe she didn't bring it to TMZ. But she made it possible by putting it on the web for the whole world to see.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If the blog was just for those who knew her, the blog would have been on facebook and private for just those who had permission to read her thoughts.
    Were you reading the blog before this happened? Had anyone else here? Do you know how many people blog out there? Why doesn't she have the right to put her thoughts and frustrations down?
    Look, I'm inclined to say she just made a mistake etc. But the fact that her first words were thank you so much folks for being disgusted, says it all.
    Says what, exactly?
    No. I think the mother could have just made a mistake. But am not so sure about her.
    This makes no sense.

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I'd be disappointed, but I don't think I'd be angry. It's a huge priveledge to get a wish granted, let alone your first or second choice. Many, many people apply and not all can get their wishes granted.
    Exactly. And, if I blogged about it, I would only say that my kid's first request wasn't granted, not the details. Because the details aren't important here. What is important is the process, how it works, how it feels to go through it, whether it's worth it in the end, etc.

Because likely at the time few people were reading her blog.
    But, if you have a blog, and I do, you have to write everything with the understanding that *anyone* can read it. Anyone. And you have to be okay with anyone reading what you wrote. Otherwise, you don't write it.

I don't write about my family, my marriage or my job very much in my blog for exactly this reason. I might talk about how we all went some place on vacation, but I wouldn't talk about my kid's problems and everyone on my blog gets a nickname as well. Sure, some people know who I am in real life, but it cuts down on the chance that my kid will be out somewhere and someone they never met will know something private about them that they don't want known.

Do you always write about skaters here on FSU with foresight that anyone has access to the forum, save for SS and then anyone who pays has access to that section too?
    Of course I do. To do otherwise is stupid.

Do you expect and demand such foresight from all 24,000 members of FSU?
    I have low expectations when it comes to humankind. That doesn't mean I think it's okay when people behave badly or that it's a good thing to post whatever you want whenever you want without thinking about the consequences.

As for the Barefoot Contessa, I think she's free, like everyone, to pick what charities she supports. Personally, I'm not very fond of the wish-granting charities. I don't think the ROI is there for what they do. I have no problem with her turning down 100 requests to let sick kids cook with her, in fact. Or any problem if she choses to grant them all. It's really up to her and there is nothing wrong with either choice in my book.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast