Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    living every minute
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Sad. My kind of skater (showman) and I will probably never get to see him again as I am not Canadian.
    Start sending emails to SOI to ask for him on the US tour.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    My first memory of Shawn:

Shawn Sawyer 1997 Toller Cranston Tribute.wmv
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYT6Jv_3bqQ
    oops! Didn't realize that someone beat me to it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
    Lots of Francophones both in Quebec and NB have English names, though it's perhaps less common to have both an English first and last name as Shawn does. Like a lot of Edmundstonians he is fluent in English as well, IIRC.

Wishing Shawn the very best for his professional career!
    I can't help but post the Canadian Heritage moment about anglophone names in Quebec... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXyfPJKWqig

I'll miss Sawyer a lot, but the show scene definitely seems like a good choice for him. I may even have to start going to them again...

vCash
    Good luck to Shawn. I was really hoping he would get the chance to show off his Mad Hatter program to the world but I think he made the choice that was best for him. It was great to see him go out on a high. He probably would not have been able to duplicate his scores from Nationals. I am sure he is leaving with postive emotions.

vCash
    AragornElessar: A belated thank you for creating this thread. It makes me smile to read all about the appreciation for Sawyer's skating.

I have looved that video on Toller's farewell show since I first came across it in 2007. So great to see it again.

My hope is that Sawyer remains as artistically and technically versatile (jump issues aside, spins and flexibilty amoung his other skating qualities are a great technical skill and he sure has it) in show skating as he was in competition. What I loved about his skating is that he wasn't afraid to display his beautiful spirals, artistic flare, innovative dance moves, and fantastic spins that are mostly reserved for women skaters. He seemed to combine it all, and grow as a skater through time without becomming a gimmick. That's what I hope he continues in pro skating.

Another thing I loved is that while he never seemed to overdo his costumes, he wasn't afraid to go between the beautifully understated all black Amadeus number, the all black coloured rhinestone tango jumpsuit (my favorite), the blue sparkle turtleneck and especially that amazing Mad Hatter attire. Although I'm not sure if *he* created his costumes or a designer did, I also hope he keeps that fabulousness going as a professional skater.

I will miss seeing that Mad Hatter masterpiece at Worlds this year. I hope he made the right choice. Only time will tell. But this was his choice and that in itself is a good thing. When he decided to come back for one last year, the decision was his. The Mad Hatter free program was his decision. And now when he retires, it's on his terms. This can be a sport that, like many other sports, can be cruel to those who may hold on too long, be forced to leave with injuries or a major growth spurt, and so on. Shawn, when faced with a tough decision to let go of a World Championship opportunity that he worked 5 years to reclaim in order to (hopefully) begin his professional skating life and leave on a high note after many ups and downs, had the courage to make that decision now, and stick with it. That alone earns my respect.

I hope Mr. Sawyer enjoys a long and happy professional life that the world can see. I also hope that in the future we will be treated to some of his coreography in other skaters. All the best Shawn!

vCash
    I wish he could have stuck with it.

He had a very decent season and seemed to have made progress on his 3axel.

I guess he knew his limitations, though.

He was a very special and unique skater and definitely shall be missed.

I hope that he will become a regular on CSOI, I'm sure the crowds will love him.

vCash
    New Shawn Sawyer article published today: "Mad Hatter" makes wise decision
    "In my head, I was already done last year; I was ready to go pro, to not compete any more," he said. "Then I started having doubts and decided to come back, have fun and showcase my uniqueness as a skater. I did it for myself, for the joy of skating, and I'm proud of it."

Sawyer's signature moves -- spirals, spins and a deep cantilever -- show off the Gumby-like flexibility that serves him well in shows. He also has a back flip.

"[The performance in] Victoria, hopefully, opened some doors, " he said.

Many fans think it did: Sawyer's performance helped inspire a "Draft Shawn Sawyer for SOI" Facebook page. On March 10, Sawyer's agent, David Baden of IMG, tweeted fans that Sawyer had been added to the tour.

While the New Brunswick native won Canada's novice and junior titles early in his career, he had up-and-down results as a senior, winning bronze three times but placing off the national podium in 2007, 2009 and 2010.

"I don't think the pressure was off this year, it's just how I dealt with it that was better," he said. "I was able to put the best I had out there. Hopefully I showed my favorite aspect of the sport, which is giving back and having fun, involving the audience. If you're able to do that, you're a much better skater.

"That's what Kurt Browning has done so well; he's such a big inspiration to me."

vCash
    when I first saw the title of the thread, I thought you meant he was leaving skating completely.

vCash
    I heard the news days ago, and the first thing that came to my mind was "man! there goes another joyable skating in the competing scene"

His performance at Canadian Nationals was so thrilling and unforgettable! I loved him for what he's shown this season technically and performance-wise, everything. GOOD LUCK SHAWN!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    This is no surprise to anyone I think...PJ's article over at CBC Sports.ca

CBC Sports ~ Sawyer walks away from amateur career
    Best of luck!!!

vCash
    Wishing him all the luck in his Pro Career!

vCash
    I was looking forward to seeing him at Worlds, but I understand his decision. Wishing him luck for the future.

vCash
    Sawyer's retirement is now official:
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    This article confirms the retirement of Shawn Sawyer: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...362/story.html
    Relevant excerpt:

Sawyer, a longtime member of the national team, is a four-time Canadian medallist and a 2006 Olympian. The 26-year-old native of Edmundston, N.B., competed at the 2004 ISU world junior figure skating championship and represented Canada at several international events over the following seven years.

His first international medal was a silver he won at the 2009 Skate America event.

“I am adding a big step to my path and I know it is the right direction,” said Sawyer, who recently took part in the Stars on Ice Canadian tour and will continue to skate on the professional circuit.

vCash
    i am going to miss him- seeing his free skate this year at nationals was such a treat! he left nothing on the table ( or ice and it was amazing for him to experince that 'moment'
    hope to see lots of him in shows!!

vCash
    I'm really going to miss him on the competitive scene but hopefully he has a successful pro career! <3

vCash
    There is an article on the IFS website about Shawn.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...-his-own-terms

vCash
    Considering all the injuries, self-doubt, lack of work ethic, age issues other retirements that have been tormenting the CDN men perhaps it would behoove Skate Canada and fans of Sawyer to beg him to come back (un retire) for the 2011/2012 GP season at least, LOL!

vCash
    Unfortunately I don't think he can be 'begged' even though that's what I would want! He already came back an extra season so I don't think he'll do another one lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123