Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    I first saw Shawn when he participated in Toller Cranston's farewell show at Varsity Arena in Toronto. He was the young man to whom the various skaters demonstrated their special skill. During the show he sat on a chair at the side of the ice just a couple of rows in front of where I was sitting. Because of the way the show was edited (at Toller's direction I heard), much of the on-ice interaction and performances didn't make it to TV. That's unfortunate because it was a very special show.

A few years later I was pleased to meet Shawn when he came to train at the Minto Skating Club and enjoyed watching him interact with skaters such as Brian Orser & Lynn Nightingale. He was invited by Brian to participate in a number of shows at quite a young age and I believe that helped him develop into the performer we've all enjoyed.

Best of luck to him as he goes on to new challenges!
    Can't skate but love to watch

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Why couldn't Shawn have competed at Worlds and then joined the CSOI tour?

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Good for Shawn...I hope he has a long and happy professional career!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I am so grateful to have seen him skate at Nationals this year - particularly his glorious Freeskate! Best of luck Shawn!!!

vCash
    It would have been nice if he'd skated at Worlds again, but at the same time it would be really hard to replicate the kind of performance he gave at Canadian Nationals. I'll miss his Mad Hatter program...In the meantime, here's young Shawn in Toller's farewell show

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Yes, that was the 12 year old Shawn, already showing that flexibility and personna. It was a great show, seen live. The TV version, as I said earlier, was not as great as there was too much backstage stuff.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    Just do the Mad Hatter frequently and many of us will be happy. Also Mozart and any other program you love. It will be WONDEFUL to be able to see your performances for years to come. I hope you get to do SOI in the US too.
    Gee, I would love for Shawn to participate in the US SOI tour!

Wherever the beautiful and artistic male skaters are! :-D
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Worlds and CSOI are taking place at the same time.

vCash
    Wishing Shawn well.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    Worlds and CSOI are taking place at the same time.
    Sorry, I meant to say, "Why couldn't Shawn have competed at Worlds and then joined the CSOI tour?"

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

living every minute
    vCash
    $$ and that is a reasonable consideration for a skater who is turning pro. No more federation support and it's either skate in shows or get some other job. So if CSOI wanted him for all or none of the shows, he's made a good choice. No use in annoying what could be your major employer for years to come.

And the truth is that at Worlds, he might have made top 10 but perhaps not. So there was not much to gain. I think he's made a wise decision and I wish him many years of success.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Okay...After starting the thread yesterday before a very hectic day away from home and then spending most of last night upstairs watching the Blue Jays Home/Season Opener w/my Dad (His health is not at all good and it's a very real possiblity that was the last time I get to do that w/him), I've got my thoughts in order to be able to post.

I think.

This is rather a bittersweet moment for me, as I saw Shawn win his Jr Title back in 2002 in Hamilton, and so this makes the first time a skater that I've followed from that far back (and not from the Sudbury area/region and home. That was an entirely different matter. ) and through their career in the Eligible ranks has retired. The potential was literally beaming from him and I looked forward to seeing how Shawn would do.

The only thing that truly held him back was that #@%$#$ Triple Axel and I really think those two magical performances from Victoria where Shawn finally kicked those demons to the curb just couldn't be topped. Those axels were finally there and due to that, Shawn was able to just let everything fly. And did that ever show those two nights in January.

I'm very happy that he's leaving on his terms and no one else's. Most importantly, I'm thrilled that he's happy about it all. Shawn says he has no regrets and that his decision to come back for this season really ended up as the best thing to do. as he didn't want to end things on the sour note last year was for him and who can blame him for that? I also don't think that any fan of any skater or team could wish for more for their favourite/s when all is said and done.

It's been such fun, as well as a bit of frustration due to just wanting it for him as much as he did, over the last nine years to watch Shawn develop and shine out there. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he's going to show us now there's no rules from Shawn to need to work around.

Good Luck Shawn on the next chapter of your journey through life. You're going to be missed on the Eligible scene, but can't wait to see what's coming up in the area of Skating you were born for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    This is no surprise to anyone I think...PJ's article over at CBC Sports.ca

CBC Sports ~ Sawyer walks away from amateur career
    I like this interview. His words are wise, calm, concrete. The words of a great athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    We'll always have "Warsaw Concerto"...
    Absolutely....Warsaw Concerto forever :-)

vCash
    Wishing Shawn a great professional career! Such a creative, unusual skater should thrive as a professional, and I hope he has many years on CSOI ahead of him. So many of his programs are truly memorable. I will miss him. Thank you Shawn!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Shawn will be a great show skater. He won't have to worry about landing jumps, and he will bring a lot to the performance with his other skills.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    It would have been nice if he'd skated at Worlds again, but at the same time it would be really hard to replicate the kind of performance he gave at Canadian Nationals. I'll miss his Mad Hatter program...In the meantime, here's young Shawn in Toller's farewell show
    "I don't really teach anymore...have you ever heard of Christopher Bowman?"

very lovely skating from both of them, but I agree, the edits were annoying. Must have been amazing live.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I love it! The last conversation is so cute Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    I was really impressed meeting Shawn at a tour in Chilliwack, so down to earth and extremely friendly. Then being able to watch him live at National's this year was thrilling. He is so creative. I was looking so forward to the mad hatter program again at World's but i think he should be in high demand for shows as a performer.Will have to look for SOI tickets. Hopefully he skates in shows for many years to come.

vCash

Thumbs down

Sad. My kind of skater (showman) and I will probably never get to see him again as I am not Canadian.

vCash
    double post
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast