Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Shawn Sawyer Calls It A Career

This is no surprise to anyone I think...PJ's article over at CBC Sports.ca

CBC Sports ~ Sawyer walks away from amateur career

vCash
    I'm not surprised. I'm a little sad, but at the same time, I'm happy for him because he seems so excited about starting his career in shows and exhibitions. Best of luck to him.

vCash
    I was hoping I'd see his LP at Worlds. My best wishes to Shawn!

Vacant
    vCash
    I called this the other day when talking with a friend after I heard he had chosen CSOI over Worlds. His skates at Nationals were the best of his career. I wish him the best of luck in his professional career. He deserves a great one!!

Quadless
    vCash
    With so few professional skating gigs these days, I'm thrilled that Shawn has such a wonderful opportunity with CSOI. This was indeed a bonus season, for him and his fans, and I'm grateful for having been able to enjoy both his tango short and his singular Mad Hatter free skate. But this guy was born to perform, so I feel like his best may be yet to come.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    ...and Samson has an injury so that means Lacoste and Reynolds are stepping onto the world team. I hope they'll both be ready!

I guess for Shawn he has to look at the big picture. If he turns down CSOI to compete at worlds he might not get another shot. He absolutely cannot miss the chance to jump start his pro career so I completely get it and wish him well.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm so glad I got to see Shawn's SP live twice this sesason, and his Mad Hatter LP once (I'm still bittah that I was on a ferry home during the Canadian Men's LP ).

I'm sad Shawn isn't going to be at Worlds, but that he's going out on his own terms, and that he is able to get a nice show career out of it. He truly is an artist on the ice.

May he never have to attempt a 3A again
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Going out on a high note was the best possible thing for Shawn - personally, for his fans, and definitely for his career. Hopefully we may look forward to many, many more years of seeing him skate.

vCash
    We'll always have "Warsaw Concerto"...good luck to Shawn, one of the most interesting skaters to come out of Canada.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    At least he gets to make a choice between 2 good things - Worlds and a pro job. Well done!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    As long as he's still going to skate in shows, etc. I'm happy!

vCash
    Best Wishes to Shawn - thank you for brightening our lives for so many years in the competitive arena. Long live your professional career, be it performance, choreography, coaching, painting, or whatever you may choose.

vCash
    ...and, Shawn, please always remember: in the pros there are few clothing restrictions!
    So, um, feel free to innovate as you wish

living every minute
    vCash
    Just do the Mad Hatter frequently and many of us will be happy. Also Mozart and any other program you love. It will be WONDEFUL to be able to see your performances for years to come. I hope you get to do SOI in the US too.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Best Wishes to Shawn - thank you for brightening our lives for so many years in the competitive arena. Long live your professional career, be it performance, choreography, coaching, painting, or whatever you may choose.
    This!

vCash
    i wish PJ had not said 'walks away' i feel like shawn gave his carreer his ALL and is nbot walking away from anything he is retiring after a long and sucesful carreer and season!
    good for him and I think he was made to shows- cant wait to see waht he does next- seeing his LP at canadians this year was a highlight for me!! great job shawn!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    i wish PJ had not said 'walks away'
    CBC Sports may have written that headline. PJ Kwong didn't use "walk away" in her actual blog article.

I have fond memories of watching a young Shawn compete at the 2002 JGP in Montreal. I wish him all the best in his performing career!

vCash
    Best wishes to Shawn. He was probably the most successful singles skater to come out of NB (Eric Gillies being the most successful overall).

Random genealogical factoid - I wondered how a Francophone like Shawn had an English last name - figured his family has assimilated eons go, but found that Sawyer can be a dit name for Jaillet...

vCash
    I'll miss seeing him. May he enjoy a long and prosperous pro career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Best wishes to Shawn. He was probably the most successful singles skater to come out of NB (Eric Gillies being the most successful overall).

Random genealogical factoid - I wondered how a Francophone like Shawn had an English last name - figured his family has assimilated eons go, but found that Sawyer can be a dit name for Jaillet...
    Lots of Francophones both in Quebec and NB have English names, though it's perhaps less common to have both an English first and last name as Shawn does. Like a lot of Edmundstonians he is fluent in English as well, IIRC.

Wishing Shawn the very best for his professional career!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast