Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    It would be painfully awkward to see Brian watch Ghislain go over a 3A session with Adam on the rink. Brian would want Adam to move out of the club because his presence would be a constant reminder to others that Adam moved on from Brian.
    Unless you are Brian Orser yourself, you have no idea how Brian might or might not feel about the situation.

Maybe Brian and Adam parted on good terms, with a clear understanding of why Adam was moving on, and both are being mature and professional about the change. And Brian would feel OK watching Adam having productive sessions with another coach at the same rink.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    I am curious as to why Brian Orser is not quoted in the USFS press release? I wonder if he was contacted for a comment?
    I would have been surprised if they had contacted Orser. There is no reason for them to do so. Rippon announced the change and his reasons for making the switch which is all that such press releases usually include.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Unless...
    No I think it would be still uncomfortable no matter what the reason for Adam's dropping Orser was. There would be very few cases in which having to watch his former student consulting a junior coach full time for jumping techniques is not awkward.

What I am really curious about is whether Adam would still keep working with David Wilson next season. If that is the case, that would be another major blow to Brian.
    Last edited by amaro; 04-02-2011 at 05:05 PM.

vCash
    IMO, it's a legitimate question because USFS press releases about coaching changes usually do include quotes from all parties involved.

What I am really curious about is whether Adam would still keep working with David Wilson next season. If that is the case, that would be another major blow to Brian.
    I don't see a connection? Orser and Wilson are separate people. Whether or not Rippon uses Wilson or different choreographers next season, the decision will be his own and made, it is hoped, for positive reasons.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-02-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: to clarify my wording

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    IMO, it's a legitimate question because USFS press releases about coaching changes usually do include quotes from all parties involved.
    It's a bit weird he hasn't said anything in public yet about the breakup, considering how eager he sometimes seems to give interviews. Perhaps Brian is a bit too proud to admit in his own words that Adam left.

I don't see a connection? Orser and Wilson are separate people. Whether or not Rippon uses Wilson or different choreographers next season, the decision will be his own and made, it is hoped, for positive reasons.
    If this was the first time that it happened to Orser, yes I would see little connection. But twice in a row? That gives an idea of to whom the departing skaters attribute his/her recent improvement.
    Last edited by amaro; 04-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.

vCash
    I think it´s good for a skater to make a switch, if he believes there will be improvement in his results with some other coach. On the other hand so much depends on the skater´s mental strength and future will show whether Rippon is champion material or not...

vCash
    athletes change coaches ALL the time. and it's silly to use the term "breakup" in most situations. Rather, it's a routine course of the sport. Brian need not say anything about this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    I am curious as to why Brian Orser is not quoted in the USFS press release? I wonder if he was contacted for a comment?
    I would have been surprised if they had contacted Orser. There is no reason for them to do so. Rippon announced the change and his reasons for making the switch which is all that such press releases usually include.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Sylvia 1 | Dragonlady 0

vCash
    Most high-profile U.S. figure skaters' coaches belong to the USFSA and so can be expected to be available for comment when the skater makes a change. I would assume that Orser doesn't belong to the USFSA. Does he?

vCash
    PUNKPRINCESS, I don't appreciate you making this look like a personal issue or contest between me and another poster. For me, it's not.

vCash
    Logic 1 | Talking out of the ass 0

vCash
    I went back through all of the coaching change press releases over the past couple of seasons because I couldn't ever remember comments from coaches in the press releases and the only one which contained a comment from the coach was Alexe Gilles recent move. I looked at the press releases for Samuelson & Bates, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Cizny, Kimmie Meisner, and none of them contained comments from the coaches.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44554&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=40436&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=39369&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44593&type=news

Certainly in articles on IceNetwork.com they would get quotes from all of the parties, but not in the press releases.

vCash
    I feel like Adam hiring Ghislain as his head coach is probably just a temporary fix so he has time to go coach shopping and make a well-thought out decision without having to pack up his bags and leave right away. I sort of doubt this is a permanent arrangement, but a coaching change is not a decision you make on a whim, and Adam knows that. My guess is he knew it wasn't working with Brian anymore so he broke that off but he doesn't yet know who he would work with better so he's hired Ghislain as his full time coach for now until he figures out who he does want to train under.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I went back through all of the coaching change press releases over the past couple of seasons because I couldn't ever remember comments from coaches in the press releases and the only one which contained a comment from the coach was Alexe Gilles recent move. I looked at the press releases for Samuelson & Bates, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Cizny, Kimmie Meisner, and none of them contained comments from the coaches.
    Actually, the "release" about Jeremy that you linked was a general news update about all retirements, coaching changes, splits et al that summer. Here is the full Abbott coaching change release: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...3074&type=news

And there is a quote from Tom Z.

Also, the release on M/B's coaching change has a quote from Dalilah S.

I have no insider info on the USFSA's PR process, but as someone works in marketing and PR, I will say that it is standard for all parties involved in a release to be contacted for comment. Sometimes someone may decline comment, or they may simply not return the call (vacation, busy schedule, extenuating circumstances, etc) and there gets to be a time when the release just has to go forward. I wouldn't assume there is any time someone isn't quoted in a release.

vCash
    I'm actually feeling bad for Brian now. First he's skewered for being too public about his break up with Yu-na. Now its for saying nothing at all about Adam. I think saying nothing is better than airing dirty laundry in public. Its really none of our business in either case. This being said of course its fun to speculate.

vCash
    I have seen Adam land beautiful 3A(s) in the event practices as well as in live competition at Skate Canada this year. I don't think that the 3A is a jump Adam needs to learn, just perform better in "crunch" times or at least needs to look more confident with the jump. It is not like he is falling on the jump at every competition he just looks like he thinks he is going to.??? (IMHO) Maybe that was the issue, Brian was not the right person in the "crunch" times? Who knows? I don't think this was a hasty decision watching the K&C all season, I think it was in the making for some time. But I think just because someone can or has performed a skill doesn't necessarily mean they can teach it. And just because they can't teach it doesn't make them a bad person. Who knows how much time Adam has been with this technical coach this season as opposed to last? Maybe that was the issue.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    other top skaters who considered Brian as their future coach may now have second thoughts.
    Or not.

Skaters pick coaches for all sorts of reasons. As long as Brian's skaters produce results, other skaters will go to him. His time as the "hot coach" that everyone fights to train with may ebb and flow as it does with all the top coaches, but I doubt he'll have problems getting students unless he gets a reputation for skaters that consistently under-perform or for being difficult to work with and that doesn't seem to be happening.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Or not.

Skaters pick coaches for all sorts of reasons. As long as Brian's skaters produce results, other skaters will go to him. His time as the "hot coach" that everyone fights to train with may ebb and flow as it does with all the top coaches, but I doubt he'll have problems getting students unless he gets a reputation for skaters that consistently under-perform or for being difficult to work with and that doesn't seem to be happening.
    I agree skaters pick coaches for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone would be turned off from going to Orser because of his students performances but I do think he hurt himself as a professional being so angry and self absorbed in the Kiss and Cry. He looked like he took it personally and that kind of personality is difficult to work with. IMHO

vCash
    I have seen Adam land beautiful 3A(s) in the event practices as well as in live competition at Skate Canada this year
    This may be the case but Adam's 3 axel isn't competition consistent. I remember Yagudin saying that you have a jump consistent when you can do it consistently in competition. Adam's other jumps are fairly consistent in competition, so I think the guy DOES have 3 axel issues. Its silly IMO to suggest he doesn't. Maybe its a mental block I don't know but the jump isn't consistent.

I agree skaters pick coaches for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone would be turned off from going to Orser because of his students performances but I do think he hurt himself as a professional being so angry and self absorbed in the Kiss and Cry. He looked like he took it personally and that kind of personality is difficult to work with. IMHO
    I think that Brian kind of got launched into the big time with Yu-na, and maybe in someways she spoiled him. Kim was a girl who for the most part knew how to compete and knew how to deliver fairly well in the big moments. She was also quite driven with a huge work ethic. Sure Mama Kim may have been a pill and a half to deal with, and maybe Yu-na is drama too (don't know the girl personally). But she was a skater you win with, which is why Kim herself wasn't fired.

Now he's dealing with skaters who may not necessarily have the same competitive fire/talent.

I think Orser is still a new coach and there is time for him to figure it out though.

vCash
    Does anyone know how much Briand had been involved in Adam's training in the past? If Adam has been training with him all along, what kind of technical changes can he expect? Wouldn't it be better for him to go to someone new, like Arutunian, for example?

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast