Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I mentioned earlier in this thread that Ghislain Briand was by the boards with Rippon when he won his first ISU Championships senior gold medal (2010 Four Continents, recovering from a rough 7th place SP). Briand also traveled with Christina Gao when she won 3 bronze medals in her JGP debut season in the fall of 2009 (POL, TUR & Final in JPN), and he is still listed in her current bio as a coach (for jumps).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

A gray blob means the rep feature isn't turned on. It's not a "black mark" and has nothing to do with credibility.
    What can I say, I just don't deal well with single digit dark grey blobs in life or in digital bytes.

The inner newbie in me is revolting against this system. The system sucks!!
    Why be a black blob when you can be all shade of green which is much prettier and friendlier?

If this feature is inactivated, you might as well not display anything at all or may be they should substitute with the words like: chicken, coward, lazy arse, publicists instead. Just saying...

vCash
    If the system here is so awful, you are more than welcome to leave...and I'm sure you will be missed terribly...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    If the system here is so awful, you are more than welcome to leave...and I'm sure you will be missed terribly...
    lol.. cut me some newbie slack will ya! I do believe it was my countryman who founded the site, so I am just showing my support in my very British way!

The way I see FSU is like the London double decker red bus. Slow, heavy, loud as hell, prone to break downs, lack in *shock suspensions* and full of character. It's full of crazy, wacky, and sometimes stuck up passengers from different social classes all having to be crammed within close proximity to each other. Some smell nice, some smell bad. Some chose silence, but often you do hear the loud non standard foreign English accents discuss on a topic that is frankly addictive and deserve its own radio drama. Despite the complaints, each riding experience remain a thrill (with the odd doozy).

It is the quintessential transport on the Figure skating super highway So what can one do? It is a love hate thing.
    Last edited by os168; 04-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.

vCash
    On the contrary, I've been on lots of discussion forums, and FSU has by far been the best one. Fast, efficient, extremely informative... Kinda like my bullet train ride from Birmingham to Bath in 1999. JMO though
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Once again, I think it's time to RIP this thread once and for all.

And suddenly I feel great empathy for Peter Oppegard if a World Champion is not in his immediate future...
    Nah. You will probably celebrate if Yuna doesn't win. But Peter will likely get a free pass. Yuna on the other hand will get all the bashing if she bombs, not only on this board.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    Nah. You will probably celebrate if Yuna doesn't win. But Peter will likely get a free pass. Yuna on the other hand will get all the bashing if she bombs, not only on this board.
    Um, I'm actually a fan of YuNa's, was thrilled to see her win in Vancouver, she skated programs that will go down in skating history.

And my comment was not about YuNa herself, it was about a certain segment of her fans who have made themselves painfully obvious in this thread.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    Knowing that Brian Orser now has a bit more time to coach other students, all I am thinking is, once Jeremy Ten gets healed up quickly, he really should leave Joanne McLeod (I know he has worked with others but McLeod is still his main coach I think) and give Brian a call. I think that would work wonders for him.

Your thoughts?
    Jeremy Ten is a less sensitive type?

What will working full-time with Ghislain bring to your skating?

Adam Rippon : He is very technical. Everything is very simplistic, and I really thrive in the kind of environment where it's just technical and not very emotional, so I can keep focused on the task at hand. I've been working with Ghislain for a long time and I do like working with him, I get a lot out of it.

For me, coaching-wise, opposites attract. I'm the kind of person who can feed off different people's emotions. I'm sensitive to that. If someone is nervous, I feel that. Ghislain, he's constantly very level-headed. When things are going great, he's still very level-headed; when things aren't going well, [he will say] things are going to get better.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Nonsense, MacMadame! It's the Black Mark of Tarasova!
    Well, if you want to convince me it's the Black Mark of ESTA, I'm open to that.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Re Ten leaving McLeod: According to , that doesn't happen very easily as McLeod controls her own empire.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    How far does Skate Canada let her empire extend? Does he need to train in Europe or Russia to get out of her clutches?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Elvis, is that you?
    I wish.

vCash
    ...And suddenly I feel great empathy for Peter Oppegard if a World Champion is not in his immediate future...
    I can say, please rest assured that no Yu-Na fan would blame her coach for her not winning. AFAIK, NOBODY, including her most zealous fans, has ever pointed a finger at her team or at her coach when she couldn’t deliver on her lutz at her first WC, when she wasn’t placed first at her second WC, when she didn’t display the top form at her post-Olympic WC, or when she failed to win the 2008 GPF in Korea (the only international competition she’s ever had on her home turf in her entire career). Since last October, she seems sincere in continuing her competitive career, enthusiastic in her preparation, and eager to perform her new programs. Her winning or not, what we fans could ask for more?
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 04-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.

vCash
    Um, I'm actually a fan of YuNa's, was thrilled to see her win in Vancouver, she skated programs that will go down in skating history.

And my comment was not about YuNa herself, it was about a certain segment of her fans who have made themselves painfully obvious in this thread.
    Funny, I’ve seen this thread first gone awry when certain Orser advocates couldn’t resist dragging Yu-Na into this Rippon-Orser specific incident with some lame accusations against her.

Back to Orser, I think working with Gao presents both an opportunity and a challenge for him. Christina, who IMO has bigger potential than Adam (no offence to Rippon fans), gives him somewhat different material to work with, compared with when he started working with Yu-Na. Christina obviously has some imminent issue with her jump technique, and probably with her further body change, whereas he had practically none of these problems with Yu-Na. Some suggested in this thread that a certain skater should consider working with Orser, and I recall Jeremy spent some time at the Cricket Club in the past. But it would be beneficial for Orser to concentrate on Christina for now, and do some soul searching before he takes on another elite skater. I’m saying this since obviously he failed to maintain the trust, or tie, with the first two of his top skaters, in the span of months. If he’s serious about coaching, he is looking at a second career which is possibly longer than her competitive and professional years combined. And if he truly wants to be successful as a coach, he should work on his crafts, technical and emotional, as a coach and, more importantly, his priorities should be on the skaters, not on his ego. The tone of his words in the latest interview with Hersh reassured me that he needs to rethink his priorities as a coach in a radical way.

That being said, I think he is positioned well enough to do fine as a coach. The Cricket Club is frequented by a lot of top skaters, working on their choreographies et al. Besides the North American skaters, among others Joubert, Verner and Korpi visited the club last summer. He shouldn’t have problem in getting exposure and contacts with elite skaters, and he’s already got a World and Olympic Champion under his belt. Wish all the best with his coaching career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Re Ten leaving McLeod: According to , that doesn't happen very easily as McLeod controls her own empire.
    I'd believe it

vCash
    This thread is oh so amusing in many ways! I love hearing some Yuna fans accuse fans of Brian of dragging her name into this mess when they were the ones who brought up her name in the first place. The defense can only be made when an accusation has been made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    This thread is oh so amusing in many ways! I love hearing some Yuna fans accuse fans of Brian of dragging her name into this mess when they were the ones who brought up her name in the first place. The defense can only be made when an accusation has been made.
    And there are others who enjoy being a 'spoon'

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920