Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

vCash
    Good luck with whatever is left of his coaching career.
    It's a minority of coaches who reach the stature of a Frank Carroll, Callahan, or Doug Leigh and consistently produce World and Olympic Champions? Even then, such coaches probably have more lower ranked skaters than World and Olympic medalists, given that those skaters themselves are a small proportion of figure skaters competing at Nationals and Worlds.

Bryan's coaching career will continue if he wants it to and he will still get students. I love Christina Gao and think she could go far, which might turn things around for Bryan. But even if that doesn't happen, he'll still be able to coach and earn a good living at it.

And his coaching career has been relatively short. He's already made more of name for himself that other World/Olympic medalists turned coach, like Karen Magnussen (who was still coaching in Vancouver a few years ago) and Stoijko, who is currently coaching an obscure bunch of Mexican skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfanfun View Post
    I'm really glad that things worked out fine with the break up between Adam and Brian. I think the major difference between this one and Yuna and Brian's is that being Adam was being frank and straight forward. Yuna is Asian, and Asian people are in general not good at dealing difficult situation in a straight forward way.
    I disagree with you on a number of things. The truth is we don't know what really happened. The public façade + agency spins + media spins + fan assumptions has a habit of spinning wildly out of control due to personal biases and prejudices that always has less to do with what 'might have really' happened than the posters/journalist own agendas.

I disagree with you assume Adam is being frank because he is Western and Yuna is not because she's Asian. Please be VERY careful about stereotyping. Because I could also say Asian are suppose known to be less expressive and emotionless, and Westerners are suppose to be less sensitive and upfront, but Yuna on ice is clearly expressive and emotional. While Adam chose to console his technical coach half way across the world than his 'coach' right next to him at K&C, so who's right? I personally think the old world's attitude and trends simply does NOT apply to the youth of today and should have no bearing in explaining what might have happend. Yuna is a Korean living in Canada and the US, and many of Adam's friends are Asian, including Chinese, Japanese and Korean by ethnicity and sometimes by heritage.

There is an old Chinese saying that " When you received a waterdrop of favor, you pay it back with a gushing spring (fountain?)."
    You should read it again and comprehend it a bit better. This should apply for everyone, including Brian. Brian was not an established coach before he was pursued by Yuna and her mother to embark on a career in professional coaching. It worked out for everyone. His subsequent self imposed public undoing of his life's coaching work is disheartening to see.

While there's no 'I's in 'Teams', but on the ice, there's only the skater on their own. If it didn't work on ice for Adam or anyone, it is only sensible for skater to do whatever is best for them. Same for any student from studying anything.

Words of wisdom from one of the greatest coach ever.

Talent is God-given; be humble.
    Fame is man-given; be thankful.
    Conceit is self-given; be careful.

- John Wooden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden
    Last edited by os168; 04-18-2011 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Brian was not an established coach before he was pursued by Yuna and her mother to embark on a career in professional coaching. It worked out for everyone. His subsequent self imposed public undoing of his life's coaching work is disheartening to see.
    "Self-imposed public undoing"? Did he fire Rippon? Did all his other skaters leave too? I don't think so.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    His subsequent self imposed public undoing of his life's coaching work is disheartening to see.
    Since his "undoing of his life's coaching work" is only in the mind of a few Yuna fans, It's not particular disheartening. On top of that, you all make a big point that he's hardly been coaching long at all. So it's also hardly his "life's work".

While there's no 'I's in 'Teams'
    but there is an M and E.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    "Self-imposed public undoing"? Did he fire Rippon? Did all his other skaters leave too? I don't think so.
    It has been mentioned on the thread several skaters tried and left CC prior to Adam.

And what would you construe as public undoing? As extreme as a public firing of his next best pupil on the mass media rant like he has done with Yuna? Are you insane or in lalaland?

Adam already mentioned he weren't on the same page Brian this year and he did not console with him when he is sitting right next to him. Together with Brian's less than professional conduct at K&C in public (worse in private?). And that he chose to parade Adam and Christina on the IFS magazines 'post parting' as the next big US thing without the result to show for it. For who's benefit is it really? All these are mistakes overconfident new coaches tend to make, and do more harm than good to the skaters, and all contribute to the 'undoing' of his great 4 years coaching career which had been splendid and magnificent.

Or do you expect to take everything at face value and only believes in one-sided press releases when they are usually white wash versions of the truth? IMHO words are meaningless, when there are money, agendas, reputation, ego, pride, particularly emotions at play and at stake.

If you genuinely have the best interest for your skaters, there's a way to handle everything and despite of everything. Instead, his conducts are clearly self serving and unnecessarily mean! The last thing a coach should have done is make everything personal and unleash one's fury against a formal employee and pupils who has brought him great success professionally and financially (but apparently not enough). Thus the fruits of their labour is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Since his "undoing of his life's coaching work" is only in the mind of a few Yuna fans, It's not particular disheartening. On top of that, you all make a big point that he's hardly been coaching long at all. So it's also hardly his "life's work".
    but there is an M and E.
    Heh cute, well... i guess Brian have the same idea.

I don't mean life's work, but his professional coaching work only. No one is denying he is a great champion, skating expert and Canada's hero. I doubt it was only disheartening to Yuna fans, but more likely to all the skaters (and their fans) who did not get the result they wanted working with him, including Adam and those who left him. I wonder if this year is Brian's Olympic Hung over, too much too soon?

I hope him the best in the future, despite everything, I think Brian is a good coach, but may be just too human and let his emotion got the best of him in crisis. He also need better advisers. May be start reading John Wooden's books?
    Last edited by os168; 04-18-2011 at 12:39 AM.

vCash
    Adam already mentioned he hasn't trained much with Brian this year
    I think you mean with Ghislain Briand (Rippon mentioned this in his interviews with both Icenetwork and Lifeskate (video) at the Figure Skating in Harlem event on April 4).

ETA: OK, I see you've edited your original post. BTW, Rippon said in his Universal Sports video interview before Four Continents that he had called Briand in Toronto after his 2011 Nationals free skate in Greensboro (so it's not accurate to say that his "technical coach [was] half way across the world").
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think you mean with Ghislain Briand (Rippon mentioned this in his interviews with both Icenetwork and Lifeskate (video) at the Figure Skating in Harlem event on April 4.
    Ah yes, thanks for the correction Sylvia. Post edited.

I must have remembered wrong then, but it was weird he called Ghislain despite not have worked with him much but have mostly worked with Brian this season. Hmm... I wondered if the breakup occur much earlier than that, but they have been delaying the announcement for the sake of public front, it would explain Brian's disinterest.

In anycase, sorry to drag on this thread. I mean to let it die but I had to respond to skatingfanfun's post... I am just happy Adam's golden curl is back!

I have a feeling he's going to be fine next season, just don't do a 'Jeremy', ie/ dye his hair black and straighten it out or something weird.
    Last edited by os168; 04-18-2011 at 12:18 AM.

vCash
    It has been mentioned on the thread several skaters tried and left CC prior to Adam.
    Yes, and you could say the same about any other coach. As also mentioned in the thread, skaters have different styles and so do coaches, and sometimes it takes the skater a couple of tries to find a coach s/he is comfortable working with.

Rippon was with Morozov before he went to Orser. Many skaters have left Morozov as well. But I don't see you calling Morozov unprofessional, mean, self-serving, etc.

And what would you construe as public undoing? As extreme as a public firing of his next best pupil on the mass media rant like he has done with Yuna? Are you insane or in lalaland?
    Just because I don't agree with your version of events doesn't mean either of those things.

Adam already mentioned he weren't on the same page Brian this year and he did not console with him when he is sitting right next to him. Together with Brian's less than professional conduct at K&C in public (worse in private?).
    Do you get to observe what goes on at the Cricket Club 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? I don't think so. Then you don't have any basis to make any judgements on what Orser is like with his skaters on a day-to-day basis. The K&C is a few minutes on TV a few times a year. It is not a representation of how a coach and a skater interact the rest of the time.

Or do you expect to take everything at face value and only believes in one-sided press releases when they are usually white wash versions of the truth? IMHO words are meaningless, when there are money, agendas, reputation, ego, pride, particularly emotions at play and at stake.
    So I guess one-sided press releases that whitewash the truth are OK as long as they make Yu-Na and Orser
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariko88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I just have a feeling that Brian is quite a difficult man. Just a hunch.
    Your hunch is quite correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    What kind of rep does Ghisland Briand have? Technician? Artist?
    He's very sub-standard as a coach on all fronts. But he's a social butterfly that can sell an anchor to a drowning man.
    Are you a skater or somebody else at Cricket Club?
    Anyway, interesting..

vCash
    Knowing that Brian Orser now has a bit more time to coach other students, all I am thinking is, once Jeremy Ten gets healed up quickly, he really should leave Joanne McLeod (I know he has worked with others but McLeod is still his main coach I think) and give Brian a call. I think that would work wonders for him.

Your thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    Knowing that Brian Orser now has a bit more time to coach other students, all I am thinking is, once Jeremy Ten gets healed up quickly, he really should leave Joanne McLeod (I know he has worked with others but McLeod is still his main coach I think) and give Brian a call. I think that would work wonders for him.

Your thoughts?
    I like this idea!

vCash

Adam already mentioned he weren't on the same page Brian this year and he did not console with him when he is sitting right next to him. Together with Brian's less than professional conduct at K&C in public (worse in private?). And that he chose to parade Adam and Christina on the IFS magazines 'post parting' as the next big US thing without the result to show for it. For who's benefit is it really? All these are mistakes overconfident new coaches tend to make, and do more harm than good to the skaters, and all contribute to the 'undoing' of his great 4 years coaching career which had been splendid and magnificent.

If you genuinely have the best interest for your skaters, there's a way to handle everything and despite of everything. Instead, his conducts are clearly self serving and unnecessarily mean! The last thing a coach should have done is make everything personal and unleash one's fury against a formal employee and pupils who has brought him great success professionally and financially (but apparently not enough). Thus the fruits of their labour is broken.

Heh cute, well... i guess Brian have the same idea.

I don't mean life's work, but his professional coaching work only. No one is denying he is a great champion, skating expert and Canada's hero. I doubt it was only disheartening to Yuna fans, but more likely to all the skaters (and their fans) who did not get the result they wanted working with him, including Adam and those who left him. I wonder if this year is Brian's Olympic Hung over, too much too soon?

I hope him the best in the future, despite everything, I think Brian is a good coach, but may be just too human and let his emotion got the best of him in crisis. He also need better advisers. May be start reading John Wooden's books?
    Give it a rest will you, with all your speculation. Unless you were there, and actually spoke to the people involved it's just gossip so let's all move on and leave Brian Orser alone. I wish Rippon lots of success with his new coach, and I wish Brian success with Christina Gao and his other students. Enough said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    Give it a rest will you, with all your speculation. Unless you were there, and actually spoke to the people involved it's just gossip so let's all move on and leave Brian Orser alone. I wish Rippon lots of success with his new coach, and I wish Brian success with Christina Gao and his other students. Enough said.
    Amen!

vCash
    Re: Overedge

Having observed for a while now how you enjoy mudsling matches, I rather not get myself dirty thank you very much. And I just love how you are only capable to see things in black and white. This simpleton mentality is as credible as the dark dot next to your reputation.

I have purposely tried to stay away from the thread out of respect for all parties involved and for the reasons stated in my post. The info I used are public information not speculations. By the way, I will respond to whomever I feel like, you can however avoid this thread when you clearly had enough. This is an open skating forum the last time I checked and NOT bbkenn and pal forum and everyone else should shuddup.

Agree on wishing the best for everybody, cheers!
    Last edited by os168; 04-18-2011 at 02:17 PM.

vCash
    Once again, I think it's time to RIP this thread once and for all.

And suddenly I feel great empathy for Peter Oppegard if a World Champion is not in his immediate future...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    This simpleton mentality is as credible as the dark dot next to your reputation.

A gray blob means the rep feature isn't turned on. It's not a "black mark" and has nothing to do with credibility.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Are you a skater or somebody else at Cricket Club?
    Anyway, interesting..
    I've known Ghislain since his Mariposa days.

vCash
    Give it a rest will you, with all your speculation. Unless you were there, and actually spoke to the people involved it's just gossip so let's all move on.
    If that is the criteria to post on here, this forum will be empty is a matter of hours!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    A gray blob means the rep feature isn't turned on. It's not a "black mark" and has nothing to do with credibility.
    Nonsense, MacMadame! It's the Black Mark of Tarasova!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I've known Ghislain since his Mariposa days.
    Elvis, is that you?
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast