Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Lessons in the US are 20 minutes? No, I don't think so, they vary in length according to whatever the coach and his students/parents have set up, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 45, 60..........
    It depends on what you work out with your coach. My lessons are usually half an hour, but my coach also works with many MITF students just on moves, and if she runs late, she always acknowledges it and I never, ever get charged for more than she gives me.

Of course, I'm an adult skater who isn't testing at this point so she knows she has more leeway with me and I won't mind. That said, if there is an issue, you should always discuss it with your coach first and see if it can be worked out. If not, then work with that person to find you a coach who is a better fit.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    That is true, but generally, 20 minutes is the standard amount of time for a lesson.
    Not where I skate. 30 min. is standard though, as with anything in life, there are variations.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Debbie - if I had meant scores, I would have said that. I'm talking about the buzz, the way a skater is talked up to the media, etc.
    I was in Greensboro, and Adam was heavily featured in the arena's promotional materials - posters, video fluff pieces, etc. And he of course was adorable in them. Lots of love for Adam. I think the USFS was promoting him as a gold medal front-runner.... but then it didn't quite happen and other guys stepped up.

I guess the macho guy you're referring to is Ryan Bradley? Yeah, not sure what that uber-love was about (sentimental favorite, probably), but he ended up winning so I guess the media got it right this time.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 04-06-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    That is true, but generally, 20 minutes is the standard amount of time for a lesson. FS sessions are usually 50 minutes, so the coaches will fit in 2 lessons per session. Occasionally, I'll see coaches giving a skater a lesson that lasts the whole session.

Then you should have addressed that with him. If his schedule on that particular day/night only allowed for 20 min, then you could have talked about changing your lesson time. It doesn't make much sense to leave a coach w/o telling him/her why, esp with something so simple as this.
    It didn't just happened once, it was happening every time. Should I have addressed that with him? I didn't feel that way. He wasn't the worst coach I took lessons from though. There was a lady that I used to take lessons from.. she sometimes didn't show up.. no call or email. Just no show. She did that about 5 times and that was enough for me. Should I have talked to her about it? No way, she should know better! If they are trying to make money, they better earn it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiChibi View Post
    I've heard that he was doing 4Lz during practice sessions at Skaters Care show, and his 4Lz looked really good. I hope he can put it in his programs next season. That'll be very exciting!
    Cool!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    It didn't just happened once, it was happening every time. Should I have addressed that with him?
    Of course you should have addressed it with him.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't think so. I already don't wanna be taught by him if I have to tell him how he should be giving lessons to me. I think it's a common sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I think the coach was being dishonest. I would have told him why I was quitting for my own satisfaction, but I don't think she owed him an explanation if she didn't feel comfortable about confronting him. Especially if she has to see him every time she goes to the rink.

Some rinks want to know when a coach is being unprofessional and some don't want to get involved.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Well it's nice to know the world is full of mature people who, when they have a problem with someone, talk to them about it instead of running away.

vCash
    Orser's time in the spotlight seems to be over and very rightly so.

He seems to be a total ass (I mean would you go to train under a guy who reportedly murdered his ex's dogs....).

EDIT: This is an allegation made by Orser's ex during their very messy separation trial. It has then went public and appeared in a number of tabloids. Orser has denied it.

I realise that it's an extremely cheap shot on my part and I apologise to everyone for bringing the level of discussion down to this level. I posted it without much thinking (I would have phrased it differently) and I very intensely dislike Orser for the way he's handled his skaters.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-07-2011 at 03:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I don't think so. I already don't wanna be taught by him if I have to tell him how he should be giving lessons to me. I think it's a common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think the coach was being dishonest. I would have told him why I was quitting for my own satisfaction, but I don't think she owed him an explanation if she didn't feel comfortable about confronting him. Especially if she has to see him every time she goes to the rink.

Some rinks want to know when a coach is being unprofessional and some don't want to get involved.
    To be honest...if I was paying for 30 minutes and was told to warm up (on my own) for 10 minutes, I would think it is not quite honest, either. I would expect I am paying for 30 minutes of supervised expertise.

Either way, I don't know where the moral superiority from a few posters comes from. ks777 is paying the coach for a service tailored to her likes/needs, not the other way around. If she so much as doesn't like the coach's appearance, smell, voice, the fact that the coach likes Pepsi instead of Coca Cola, etc. she isn't under any obligation to continue hiring him as her coach (and/or tell him why). Coach likewise has the prerogative not to coach any student for any reason (and/or tell the student why). So, if ks777 would rather not be more assertive and question Coach or tell him why she's unhappy with their arrangement, it's her thing to deal with the way she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

He seems to be a total ass (I mean would you go to train under a guy who reportedly murdered his ex's dogs....).
    Um, I hate to even discuss this...I know that Orser had a nasty public breakup with an ex-lover, but has this ever been verified? When people have lawsuits, they might say things that are not even true. My impression of that affair was that the other guy was the bad guy.

Although, it does strike me as quite ironic that Orser's privacy was wronged in the break-up mentioned above, and then he initiated the publicity surrounding a more recent break-up.
    Last edited by PUNKPRINCESS; 04-07-2011 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    Although, it does strike me as quite ironic that Orser's privacy was wronged in the break-up mentioned above, and then he initiated the publicity surrounding a more recent break-up.
    Except that the second part of the statement isn't true, which kind of undercuts the concept of parallel irony.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Except that the second part of the statement isn't true, which kind of undercuts the concept of parallel irony.
    Sure, whatever you say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Um, is this a joke????
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Are skaters and coaches obligated to go to the K&C area? If I were a skater and that wasn't a requirement, I would not go to the K&C and give the fans fodder to interpret every raised eyebrow, grimace, frown.... as they wished. When did the K&C come into existence? I'm sure there was a time when they didn't exist and I would like to see that done away with.

Re Adam, I think he has peaked, didn't grab the gold, silver or bronze when it was his time and is now being left behind in the proverbial dust. Another might-have-been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Um, is this a joke????
    It was one of the many allegations against Orser.

http://www.leask.co.uk/?page_id=128

As for the two family dogs, Leask said Orser had them destroyed as a result of their breakup. But Orser said Leask declined his offer to take the two dogs. Today, one dog is living in a new home. The second dog was destroyed on the advice of a veterinarian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    Orser waited three weeks after meeting with Yu-Na's management to issue a press release and when none was forthcoming, he issued one. Orser couldn't even tell his other skaters what was going on until a public announcement was made.

Coaches and skaters need to make plans for the season. A coach is unlikely to be approached by a competitor of a skater if they think a coach is still committed to said competitor.

When Yu-Na failed to issue the required announcement, Orser did so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Orser waited three weeks after meeting with Yu-Na's management to issue a press release and when none was forthcoming, he issued one. Orser couldn't even tell his other skaters what was going on until a public announcement was made.

Coaches and skaters need to make plans for the season. A coach is unlikely to be approached by a competitor of a skater if they think a coach is still committed to said competitor.

When Yu-Na failed to issue the required announcement, Orser did so.
    I've got no issues with Orser making an announcement, but he didn't need to go on national television to do so. He didn't have to bring her mom into it either.

vCash
    This thread is getting ugly. Do we really need to bring up Brian's personal life regarding a relationship breakup that happened 13 years ago. Sheesh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    This thread is getting ugly. Do we really need to bring up Brian's personal life regarding a relationship breakup that happened 13 years ago. Sheesh.
    I actually do agree with this. That's a nasty, horrific rumor and if it shouldn't be posted, said unless its a proven fact.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast