Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Actually, the "release" about Jeremy that you linked was a general news update about all retirements, coaching changes, splits et al that summer. Here is the full Abbott coaching change release: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...3074&type=news

And there is a quote from Tom Z.

Also, the release on M/B's coaching change has a quote from Dalilah S.

I have no insider info on the USFSA's PR process, but as someone works in marketing and PR, I will say that it is standard for all parties involved in a release to be contacted for comment. Sometimes someone may decline comment, or they may simply not return the call (vacation, busy schedule, extenuating circumstances, etc) and there gets to be a time when the release just has to go forward. I wouldn't assume there is any time someone isn't quoted in a release.
    I've bolded part of Debbie S's reply above because, while I've heard that USFS normally does give all parties a chance to comment on coaching changes in press releases, I believe it is their choice and I agree that we don't have to "assume there is " if they elect not to do so or just aren't quoted in the release.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Most high-profile U.S. figure skaters' coaches belong to the USFSA and so can be expected to be available for comment when the skater makes a change. I would assume that Orser doesn't belong to the USFSA. Does he?
    All coaches are required to register with USFS if they want to coach students at U.S. Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals and international competitions -- see: http://www.usfsa.org/content.asp?menu=coaches&id=451 (both Briand and Orser are registered for 2010-2011)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-04-2011 at 10:57 PM.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I think the difference in the Adam press release it was chosen to quote the new coach as opposed to the old coach.. unlike the example above from Sylvia when they chose not to quote Sato.. but rather the old coach. I think both are normal press releases as you usually want a couple of different quotes - as both had that.. I agree with Sylvia, not sure where there is any
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Did the poster mean he had failed to medal at Nationals on the senior level? Totally understandable in 2010, what did Evan, Johnny and Jeremy all competing. Very disappointing in 2011. In the SP he fell on the Rippon lutz right by us and we were totally Hoping the coaching change is a good one for Adam.
    If he medaled at Grand Prix, I apologize. But he didn't medal at Nationals, 4CC, or make the World team in 2011. On top of that he still doesn't have a reliable 3A or attempt quads. I don't know whether he is a late bloomer or he just can't do the jumps at the senior level, but he is running out of time to bloom. the young ones are coming up behind him. If he doesn't show some progress soon USFSA may not give him any international assignments next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    If he medaled at Grand Prix, I apologize.
    Rippon won the bronze at Skate Canada (his second GP bronze in 2 years).

If he doesn't show some progress soon USFSA may not give him any international assignments next season.
    Rippon's ISU Season Best score (currently #5 and the highest US man at 233.04) and World Standings ranking (currently #15, 2nd highest US man after Abbott) should be good enough for 2 Senior GP assignments next season even though he won't be competing at Worlds.
    ETA: He's also #12 right now in the ISU Season's World Ranking -- he hasn't had that bad of an international season, really. It's the expectation that he would do better this season that makes it seem that way, IMO.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-04-2011 at 11:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Rippon's ISU Season Best score (currently #5 and the highest US man at 233.04) and World Standings ranking (currently #15, 2nd highest US man after Abbott) should be good enough for 2 Senior GP assignments next season even though he won't be competing at Worlds.
    ETA: He's also #12 right now in the ISU Season's World Ranking -- he hasn't had that bad of an international season, really. It's the expectation that he would do better this season that makes it seem that way, IMO.
    But are these rankings what the assignments are based on? I don't wish a fail on anyone who has put that much into skating, but he just seems too tentative to me compared to the other men. If Dornbush and Miner skate well at Worlds it seems as if he may just get lost in the shuffle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    But are these rankings what the assignments are based on?
    GP assignments, yes. We'll know more details when the 2011-12 Grand Prix selection document is published sometime after Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I think the difference in the Adam press release it was chosen to quote the new coach as opposed to the old coach.. unlike the example above from Sylvia when they chose not to quote Sato.. but rather the old coach. I think both are normal press releases as you usually want a couple of different quotes - as both had that.. I agree with Sylvia, not sure where there is any
    There is because a few people couldn't resist the urge to use the announcement to suggest that Brian Orser is a fading coach who can't hang onto his students. There is no proof of that, of course. As has been said by many, coaching changes happen every day. If this wasn't working for Adam, good for him for making a change, here's hoping it works out. Adam is not a bad skater, and Brian is not a bad coach. They just realized it wasn't the best situation for either.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    There is because a few people couldn't resist the urge to use the announcement to suggest that Brian Orser is a fading coach who can't hang onto his students. There is no proof of that, of course. As has been said by many, coaching changes happen every day. If this wasn't working for Adam, good for him for making a change, here's hoping it works out. Adam is not a bad skater, and Brian is not a bad coach. They just realized it wasn't the best situation for either.
    I think your speculation is spot on. Rippon gave a video interview with USports at the FS in Harlem event. Said he did not get to work with Briand much this season and it was more of a position shift. Also said that he is still working with David (Wilson) and that they are preparing his programs with "new people" ?
    http://www.universalsports.com/video...th+adam+rippon
    Thanks for the Worlds Standings link. Rippon's season was 12th in the World and was the top US Men's score at 5th in the World. I agree it was a good season but behind the expectation of his great start.

vCash
    Yesterday I saw a student change coaches because the coach asked the child not to yell "Chill out", when they left out spins, while training a program! The coach told the student it was inappropriate and the skater stormed off and left crying.
    Students leave coaches for a number of reasons.
    Orser has been a great coach!!
    Maybe the expectations are beyond achieveable?
    Maybe the student wants more attention?
    Maybe they don't want to pay a full rate?
    Maybe the parent(s) are never satisfied?
    Whatever is happening its more involved than we can guess at!!

vCash
    When I was taking a skating lesson from this coach, he was showing up on time and everything but he started coaching someone else at the same time for like 10 mins.. I thought I had him for 30mins to myself.. he would tell me to warm up for the first 10 mins.. while he taught someone else and his lesson with me ends 20mins after the 10mins warm up.. this kept happening every week so I called him one day and told him that I needed to quit taking lessons from him.. I ended up telling him " It's not you.. It's me"... I felt like I was breaking up with him, lol. I never told him why.. I think he should have known better. If I am paying for the 30mins, he can't be coaching anyone else at the same time!

vCash
    It's my understanding that lessons in the US are 20 minutes. Perhaps what was happening was that you were getting an extra 10 minutes when you first started lessons with him, but then he found another student and reverted to the standard 20 minute lesson. Did you ever discuss this with your coach?

When you hire a coach, you need to have a clear understanding as to the coach's rates and the length of the lesson. If you felt you were being short changed, you should have said so. Leaving without telling him why, was a very poor choice on your part.

vCash
    Lessons in the US are 20 minutes? No, I don't think so, they vary in length according to whatever the coach and his students/parents have set up, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 45, 60..........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It's my understanding that lessons in the US are 20 minutes. Perhaps what was happening was that you were getting an extra 10 minutes when you first started lessons with him, but then he found another student and reverted to the standard 20 minute lesson. Did you ever discuss this with your coach?

When you hire a coach, you need to have a clear understanding as to the coach's rates and the length of the lesson. If you felt you were being short changed, you should have said so. Leaving without telling him why, was a very poor choice on your part.
    No, our agreement was $35/30mins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

The men's field at US Nationals is very competitive, very deep. There is very little margin for error.

I also wonder how it is for Adam psychologically, as an artistic skater, to come to US Nationals where the only male competitors who are emphatically celebrated by TPTB are the ones who act like Mr. Macho Tough Guy. It's hard to remember how young these guys are, and I hope he has good people around him to keep his spirits up.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Lessons in the US are 20 minutes? No, I don't think so, they vary in length according to whatever the coach and his students/parents have set up, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 45, 60..........
    That is true, but generally, 20 minutes is the standard amount of time for a lesson. FS sessions are usually 50 minutes, so the coaches will fit in 2 lessons per session. Occasionally, I'll see coaches giving a skater a lesson that lasts the whole session.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    No, our agreement was $35/30mins.
    Then you should have addressed that with him. If his schedule on that particular day/night only allowed for 20 min, then you could have talked about changing your lesson time. It doesn't make much sense to leave a coach w/o telling him/her why, esp with something so simple as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I also wonder how it is for Adam psychologically, as an artistic skater, to come to US Nationals where the only male competitors who are emphatically celebrated by TPTB are the ones who act like Mr. Macho Tough Guy.
    I was at Nats, and it appeared to me that the male competitors "celebrated" by TPTB were the ones who landed their jumps and skated an otherwise clean program. I like Adam, and Jeremy Abbott, but they made mistakes. As you pointed out, the men's field at Nats was deep. They couldn't expect to make the World team with mistakes like that.

vCash
    Debbie - if I had meant scores, I would have said that. I'm talking about the buzz, the way a skater is talked up to the media, etc.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    The men's field at US Nationals is very competitive, very deep. There is very little margin for error.

I also wonder how it is for Adam psychologically, as an artistic skater, to come to US Nationals where the only male competitors who are emphatically celebrated by TPTB are the ones who act like Mr. Macho Tough Guy. It's hard to remember how young these guys are, and I hope he has good people around him to keep his spirits up.
    Adam isn't that young anymore though. I didn't really notice until this year how fragile he is as a competitor. I adore his skating, but he needs a coach who knows how to deal with these psychological issues and I guess Brian isn't that coach. I don't know anything about this new coach either, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction?

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't think he is a fragile competitor. He has a fragile 3A though (ie not working when under pressure). I think the problem is him getting the jump rather late in his career (compared to other guys like Oda or Kozuka). That and not having a quad hurt him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I don't think he is a fragile competitor. He has a fragile 3A though (ie not working when under pressure). I think the problem is him getting the jump rather late in his career (compared to other guys like Oda or Kozuka). That and not having a quad hurt him
    I was thinking more about his last two short programs at Nationals. Both pretty disastorous and on jumps (and footwork) he really should have hit easily. You can see the intense WORRY on his face before he competes (it's positively Abbott-esque!) and it seems that he overthinks the consequences of a potentially bad performance more than he focuses on one element at a time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    That and not having a quad hurt him
    I've heard that he was doing 4Lz during practice sessions at Skaters Care show, and his 4Lz looked really good. I hope he can put it in his programs next season. That'll be very exciting!
    Last edited by ChibiChibi; 04-06-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast