Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I just have a feeling that Brian is quite a difficult man. Just a hunch.
    At Worlds in LA, he tried to cut in front of a long line at the souvenir shop (I was next in line). When the clerk corrected him & sent him back, he berated her about the lack of organization in the store even though everyone else seemed to be able to get in line. I thought that was super tacky of him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    Sylvia 1 | Dragonlady 0
    Silly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post

You are speculating as much as I am and in a way many who posted here are doing the same. Like I said, you might not want to read posts here if a bit of speculating from others bother you so much. And if I remember correctly, and also as lakewood pointed out, you were a master of speculation when Orser and Kim parted ways.
    You might want to follow your own advice; it seems that when others who don't "follow the herd" speculate, it bothers you a great deal.

vCash
    From following Brian Orser's career, it is no secret that he cares intensely for skating, his own, and now those of his students. He is often filmed at the boards going through the program with his skaters, and his emotions mirror that of his skaters. It is possible that intensity is something Adam could not handle. In the infamous K&C scene, Orser was likely mirroring the great disappointment Rippon felt himself, and it was probably too difficult for Rippon to handle that in the K&C. He likely needs someone more low-key and there's nothing wrong with that.

As an amateur skater, Orser's emotions often made him a wonderful artistic skater, one of the best, but it could also conflict with his skating. I'm wondering if it is the same with coaching. He would want the best for his students, as much as he wanted it when he was skating, and while that push to excellence is inspiring, it may also be too overwhelming if you're going through a rough patch as Rippon may be experiencing.

As a coach with only 4 years of coaching behind him, it's still a learning curve for Brian as well. I wish all skaters involved, from Rippon, to Christina, to YuNa the best in their careers, and I also wish Brian the best of luck with his coaching. His skating gave me very many memorable moments, especially at the Calgary Olympics, and I believe he will get better and better at all aspects of coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    I saw this a while ago and now a post at GSF brought my attention back to this: Adam said in an interview w/ Universal Sports that he called Ghislain Briand after his LP at 4CC 2011 and Ghislain talked to Adam about his skate and gave him words of encouragement. Taking it together with the interaction between Brian and Adam seen at the K&C zone, Adam's decision of leaving Brian for Ghislain makes sense to me now.

http://www.universalsports.com/video...a44314d8f.html
    Thanks for the link I just got around to re-watching it. How did I miss that Adam met with Lysacek after the SP and went outside to call Briand in Toronto after the LP at Nationals? He didn't mention Orser once in the interview? This to me is a skater with an absent coach. I like Orser, I defended him giving him the benefit of the doubt- even feeling sorry for him when Yuna left. I get the impression that being discharged by Yuna (for whatever reason-not taking sides) had a really big impact on him.
    After re-watching some of the Kiss and Cry facial expressions of Orser from this season with Rippon I cringe how completely absent he was as a coach and looked so uncomfortable like he was embarrassed. It is uncomfortable to watch --- I'd rather see a coach over the top waving etc (no offense Robin W.) than look embarrassed to be there. That kind of moody, emotional coach has got to takes its toll on a skater.
    That said I don't think how a coach acts in the K&C reveals what kind of skill he/she has, I think it just gives a glimpse to their state of mind. I am sad to see Orser play the role of the victim so much this season.
    Maybe the loss of another student will give him the he needs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Adam's programs this year really did not suit him.
    But wasn't David Wilson actually responsible for the choreographies? I really loved both Adam's programs this season, I think they suited him very well, he is a wonderful lyrical skater. Just my two cents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    But wasn't David Wilson actually responsible for the choreographies? I really loved both Adam's programs this season, I think they suited him very well, he is a wonderful lyrical skater. Just my two cents.
    I liked them too. Maybe he will keep one of them for next season? He lists choreographers as David Wilson, Sebastien Britten.

vCash
    David Wilson collaborated with Sebastien Britten on Rippon's SP and Wilson choreographed his FS. I would expect Rippon to have two new programs next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnM View Post
    At Worlds in LA, he tried to cut in front of a long line at the souvenir shop (I was next in line). When the clerk corrected him & sent him back, he berated her about the lack of organization in the store even though everyone else seemed to be able to get in line. I thought that was super tacky of him.
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    From following Brian Orser's career, it is no secret that he cares intensely for skating, his own, and now those of his students. He is often filmed at the boards going through the program with his skaters, and his emotions mirror that of his skaters. It is possible that intensity is something Adam could not handle. In the infamous K&C scene, Orser was likely mirroring the great disappointment Rippon felt himself, and it was probably too difficult for Rippon to handle that in the K&C. He likely needs someone more low-key and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Where can I buy a pair of the rose-tinted glasses you're wearing? Rippon's disappointment took the form of bewilderment. Orser's disappointment took the form of cold annoyance. It was not a mirror. They looked like opposites in the way they handled it.

This has nothing to do with my regard for Orser as a skater or his technical ability as a coach. He did a great job with Yu-Na Kim. And as a competitor, he is an Olympic Gold medalist in my book. The apologetics are getting tiresome, though. Oh Adam, he just "can't handle" the "intensity." Oh Adam, he's switched coaches so many times, he's just a fickle boy...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Thank God no media blitz this time. Good for him and good for Rippon. I feel that Orser would have handled the split with Yu-Na in a different way, had she had a backing from a stronger federation.

This could be a good thing for Gao since she can have more attention, and I really, really wish her to stick with Orser as she is now his only top prospect.
    This.
    Brian was a person who knew more than anybody how Korea Skating Federation is incompetent or sucks(lol).

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Well given both parties belong to IMG, it is hardly surprising the PR side would work out much more smoothly this time round. (Although lack of kind words or best wishes from Brian's side would seem to indicate something else.)

Adam is a young gifted skater with wonderful potentials, and I am glad he is courageous enough to take new directions to try to fix whatever that is not working.

Best luck Adam, I hope to see you next year represent the US along with Jeremy. (& please grow back your gorgeous magic golden curls, love them to bits!)
    Insightful point.

vCash
    Oh Adam, he's switched coaches so many times, he's just a fickle boy...
    Pure speculation or sarcasm on your part, I hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Don't bet on it.
    Simple economics. No medals no money. How is he going to pay for coaching and ice time? No one is going to give it for free to a 5th place finisher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Simple economics. No medals no money. How is he going to pay for coaching and ice time? No one is going to give it for free to a 5th place finisher.
    I assume Briand is teaching for free and Orser is now donating ice for old times sake? I don't think any coach "gives it for free"
    But you may have a point that a lesser known coach may be less????

vCash
    Oh Adam, he's switched coaches so many times, he's just a fickle boy...
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Pure speculation or sarcasm on your part, I hope.
    Given the context of the entire post, definitely sarcasm.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Where can I buy a pair of the rose-tinted glasses you're wearing? Rippon's disappointment took the form of bewilderment. Orser's disappointment took the form of cold annoyance. It was not a mirror. They looked like opposites in the way they handled it.
    I'd like some of your ESP, and that of the others in this thread so I can be so certain of everyone's feelings and motives in the circumstances. I don't pretend to know the reasons behind the coaching change. Was there tension in the Kiss 'N Cry at US Nationals and 4CC? Yes, absolutely. Was it "annoyance", "disappointment" or something else. I don't know and neither do you or anyone else who has speculated about it here. All I know is that the announcement of the coaching change wasn't all that surprising.

Of course, those just "following the herd" want to believe that Brian is a horrible person and skaters are fleeing for their lives. Or that Adam will soon be driven out of the Cricket Club.

I will say this. Coaching etiquette would dictate that Adam's new coach could not have taken on Adam as a student without first discussing this Brian Orser, who, as head coach, is also his boss. Would you risk offending your boss in this way?

And again, I reiterate, the lack of comment from Orser is the norm, not the exception, as proven by the USFSA press releases, links to which were posted up thread.

Brian Orser did not become one of the most respected athletes in figure skating because he's a jerk and a nasty human being, regardless of what has been posted here. I've had the opportunity of watching his behaviour at competitions for years, and have never seen him be anything but gracious to everyone around him. Of course anyone can have a bad day.

I'm just getting a little tired of those who have no real knowledge of any of the circumstances of this coaching change using this as yet another excuse to trash Orser based on their own animosity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post
    I assume Briand is teaching for free and Orser is now donating ice for old times sake? I don't think any coach "gives it for free"
    But you may have a point that a lesser known coach may be less????
    My original quote was that I think that Adam needs a reliable 3A and quad to be competitive on the senior level as far as medals are concerned, and that he cannot afford to go another season without them and stay in the game.

As 2 time junior world champion he came to the senior level greatly hyped. However, in 2 seasons he has yet to medal. He is not a teenager and I assume his family cannot support him indefinitely. His present training situation is not working for whatever reason so he should change.

Skating is expensive and skaters need to make money (most families cannot support them indefinitely). And yes, if you are a star rinks do give you free ice time in exchange for the publicity your presence brings, and you do get appearance fees for shows, exhibitions, and ISU competitions. And yes coaches will line up to take you if they think you will enhance their reputations and make them money through your appearance fees.

vCash
    I think he has medaled each year in the Grand Prix's??? I know he won a bronze medal at Skate Canada and won 4cc last year, and was 5th or 6th at his first WC. That is far better than most as a junior entering the senior ranks. I think
    I completely agree about your take an the 3A.
    I don't know how skater's pay for lessons and ice fees but I highly doubt that at this level saving a few dollars an hour on lessons makes a difference.
    BTW...I am not Canadian yet I felt sorry for Orser over the Yuna issue. I always felt it was a communication issue that got out of hand. I supported him and felt he was getting a lot of criticism. But now? I don't know what to think.
    No one can argue that Orser was a great athlete who seemed humble and gracious when he was a competitor. That is who he was and not necessarily who he is today.
    Just because someone did something doesn't mean they can teach it. He had a team helping him with Yuna. I think if that team was stil working together Rippon wouldn't of had to file a press release and hire a coach he stands a few feet from everyday.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    IBut now? I don't know what to think.
    You're thinking too hard, IMO.

Really, there is nothing remotely scandalous about what just happened. It happens all the time. In rinks all over the world with all levels of coaches and students. Student has disappointing season and decides to make a change. Some change everything -- rinks, cities, even countries. Some just change one or two things -- choreographer, shuffling the coaches in their team, brining new blood into the team.

He had a team helping him with Yuna. I think if that team was stil working together Rippon wouldn't of had to file a press release and hire a coach he stands a few feet from everyday.
    Except... this happens all. the. time. This is how assistants move up to become standalone coaches, for one thing. Plus, in some rinks, a group of people work together. For some students, one is the head coach but for another student, another is the head coach. Changing who the head coach is, in this situations, is *really* not a big deal.

What it comes down to is that Adam wants a coach he is already working with to take a more active role in his training. It's hardly anything have to generated this much

And I'm just at the idea that Brian Orser can't teach someone how to jump because one of his students has an inconsistent 3Z. Because, you know, that jump hardly ever troubles the male figure skaters of other coaches. The jump is hard and it's one that many skaters *never* master. No matter who their coach is.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    As 2 time junior world champion he came to the senior level greatly hyped. However, in 2 seasons he has yet to medal.
    I think he has medaled each year in the Grand Prix's??? I know he won a bronze medal at Skate Canada and won 4cc last year, and was 5th or 6th at his first WC. That is far better than most as a junior entering the senior ranks. I think
    Did the poster mean he had failed to medal at Nationals on the senior level? Totally understandable in 2010, what did Evan, Johnny and Jeremy all competing. Very disappointing in 2011. In the SP he fell on the Rippon lutz right by us and we were totally Hoping the coaching change is a good one for Adam.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I went back through all of the coaching change press releases over the past couple of seasons because I couldn't ever remember comments from coaches in the press releases and the only one which contained a comment from the coach was Alexe Gilles recent move. I looked at the press releases for Samuelson & Bates, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Cizny, Kimmie Meisner, and none of them contained comments from the coaches.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44554&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=40436&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=39369&type=news
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44593&type=news

Certainly in articles on IceNetwork.com they would get quotes from all of the parties, but not in the press releases.
    you are correct DL in that typically a press release that is sent by the party would only include their own information, it would not be deemed appropriate to quote the other party unless it was a joint press release which usually doesn't happen in these types of situations.
    With regards to Adam, sometimes when skating is not improving you have to change you situation, not necessarily anybody's fault
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast