Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 397
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Since Adam is remaining at the same rink as Brian, that might be a little awkward. Is Brian still going to give Adam input or advice from time to time since they're still both at the Cricket Club, or is it more like Adam has shut that door completely?

    I do wonder how this bodes for Brian's coaching career. His two most prominent and successful students leaving. If Adam feels more of a connection with Ghislain though, he made the right choice. Hopefully, he can make the world team again next year.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,887
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    90270
    Forget Nam, I would like to see Kevin Reynolds move to Brian ... but I doubt that will happen
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    Since Adam is remaining at the same rink as Brian, that might be a little awkward. Is Brian still going to give Adam input or advice from time to time since they're still both at the Cricket Club, or is it more like Adam has shut that door completely?
    It sounds like the parting was amicable. I don't suspect we will be seeing Adam sitting at rinkside shedding a single tear.

    I do wonder how this bodes for Brian's coaching career. His two most prominent and successful students leaving.
    Skaters and coaches part ways for numerous reasons, and it sounds like in the two scenarios they were for two very different reasons. It's not like Orser has a longstanding record of driving students away because he is consistently impossible to work with. He's coached an Olympic medalist and world champion, and international medalists, so he already has a very good record of accomplishment. I think his career will be fine.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    955
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1550
    Adam has been landing gorgeous triple axels very consistently lately.

  5. #25
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,978
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    38422
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wow, not looking good for Brian Orser. I am not sure if any top skaters would consider switching to him if they are busy wondering why he lost so many star pupils.
    Looking at Adam's coaching changes, if I were going to make any assumptions here , it would actually be about Adam, not Brian.

    I do think Adam's 3A got better when he first switched to Orser. And he really blossomed in the rest of his skating the first seaosn - but something this season was just...off.

    But it does sounds like this is an amicable parting, no single tears. Although, Adam would probably do 2 tears anyway so it could be known as the Rippon Tear.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    To be as objective as possible, I have to assume skaters keep re-evaluating as they improve (or not) to see what they need to do to get to the next level. You could hypothesize Adam came to Canada to be in a stable enviro, to improve technically and to have the focus of a reputable coach. Goals achieved. Now what's next?

    Adam may be deciding that while his needs are generally being met (hence he's not leaving Canada or the club) he needs just something a little different from a coach. If I had to take a wild guess, I'm thinking a more chill, nurturing coach might do the trick. Perhaps because Brian is competitively tense and it shows in him both as a competitor and coach that maybe Adam is looking for a different vibe or chemistry that can optimize his competitive performances.

    I think of some skaters who talk about needing a coach to keep them loose going into an event. Chan needs to play cards and other silly games with Krall, Browning always said his coach's job at an event was to tell jokes and distract him from competing. Maybe Brian can train him well but he's not the right guy to take to a competition. Just a guess.

  7. #27
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    جوجه تیغی خجالتی می داند زیبایی از گلبرگ
    Posts
    10,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    122817
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    But it does sounds like this is an amicable parting, no single tears. Although, Adam would probably do 2 tears anyway so it could be known as the Rippon Tear.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34697
    Can't blame Adam for wanting to make a change. He was supposed to contend for gold here, and not only did he finish fifth, new seniors like Dornbush leapfrogged him on their way to the podium. He's too talented for that. Love his skating and he is just so adorable! It's not an indictment on Brian per se... just different methods work for different skaters.

    Anyway - goooo Adam!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  9. #29
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,226
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    43380
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Looking at Adam's coaching changes, if I were going to make any assumptions here , it would actually be about Adam, not Brian.

    I do think Adam's 3A got better when he first switched to Orser. And he really blossomed in the rest of his skating the first seaosn - but something this season was just...off.

    But it does sounds like this is an amicable parting, no single tears. Although, Adam would probably do 2 tears anyway so it could be known as the Rippon Tear.
    I'd make the same assumptipn if I were going to make one. Adam has the artistic element but he needs that 3A. He didn't have it as a junior and he still doesn't have it. Maybe a technical coach is just what he needs at the moment. I hope so.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    459
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I just have a feeling that Brian is quite a difficult man. Just a hunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I mean, we've all seen the way he acts in the Kiss N Cry.
    Having seen the way Orser treated Kim when Kim departed, and the way he treated Adam at K&C this season, I am not surprised to hear this at all. It seemed to me it was just a matter of time.

    I expect Adam will be leaving Cricket club soon.
    Last edited by amaro; 04-01-2011 at 09:36 PM.

  11. #31
    The wiener takes it all
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minor Planet Johnnyweir 12413
    Posts
    11,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1728
    Adam just tweeted that the press release was supposed to go out yesterday, not today.

    Yes, it's true. I thought the release was going out yesterday. I'm thinking it was poor timing that it actually came out APR1

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That sucks for Brian. First Yu-Na, then Adam. Maybe since Christina's the only top one staying, others are leaving because he devotes all his attention to her? just a thought, I don't even know how much attention he pays to anyone

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,121
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    For him it is now or never. He needs a 3A (in competition) and a quad to be an international medal contender. Isn't he already in his 20's? If he can't manage that by next season I think he is done whether he wants to be or not.

  14. #34
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    I expect Adam will be leaving Cricket club soon.
    That's what I'm thinking..

    He spent a week in Col Springs recently..I assumed analyzing 3 axel..Was he coach shopping?

    Of course, I'd love to see him with Frank Carroll.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,939
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    For him it is now or never. He needs a 3A (in competition) and a quad to be an international medal contender. Isn't he already in his 20's? If he can't manage that by next season I think he is done whether he wants to be or not.
    Don't bet on it.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    That's what I'm thinking..

    He spent a week in Col Springs recently..I assumed analyzing 3 axel..Was he coach shopping?

    Of course, I'd love to see him with Frank Carroll.
    That makes sense. If he needs a change, staying in Cricket would defeat the purpose.

    But please no Tom Z.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Overjoyed for Evan
    Posts
    8,655
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1873
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wow, not looking good for Brian Orser. I am not sure if any top skaters would consider switching to him if they are busy wondering why he lost so many star pupils.
    Yeah, when Kwan left Frank, his coaching career went kaput and he hasn't had another good skater since.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,713
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wow, not looking good for Brian Orser. I am not sure if any top skaters would consider switching to him if they are busy wondering why he lost so many star pupils.
    My bet is top skaters know exactly why Brian and his students parted (whatever the reasons or the eventual responsabilities were).
    Stepping into the dark won't be the issue.

    -- JMO

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Brian himself was such a successful skater and his first student happened to be equally (or even more) successful. Brian's competitiveness and high expectations for his skaters is his nature. If a student doesn't progress fast under such an environment, it is simply not a right fit. The skater is responsible for finding his ideal coach. I believe Adam made a right decision for his career. It is also a good time to do so.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Brian himself was such a successful skater and his first student happened to be equally (or even more) successful. Brian's competitiveness and high expectations for his skaters is his nature. If a student doesn't progress fast under such an environment, it is simply not a right fit. The skater is responsible for finding his ideal coach. I believe Adam made a right decision for his career. It is also a good time to do so.
    I agree. Brian isn't everyone's cup of tea. He doesn't have the gentlest bedside manner and a lot of skaters need that kind of sensitivity/cheerleading to thrive. Some don't. Adam seems very nervy and emotional (not necessarily a bad thing) and might do better with someone who takes a more nuanced, psychological approach to coaching.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •