Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I love this clip. We're seeing a transition period of men's FS...then end of the Stojko/Eldredge/Kulik era, to the beginning of the Yagudin/Plushenko era.

What makes Kulik's skating and appearance so unique is his height. He seems so TALL on the ice, and at nearly 6' tall (compared to the slew of shorties), I guess he was.

Oh, and one more thing about your post...I too give a HELL YEAH to Plushenko's 3axel/.5 loop/3flip!

vCash
    Barbara Ann Scott - it was cold out there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Barbara Ann Scott - it was cold out there
    Skate Talker, I really admire Barbara Ann Scott's achievement.
    She reportedly said that she had been warned that the ice was full of ruts which she had to avoid!

Her FS starts at about 4:40 of this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bHRVndot0

Thanks, floskate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    Before Vancouver I would say that The Greatest olympics performances were:

Baiul's "Swan Lake" (ex)
    If you are talking about her exhibition, then you must mean "The Swan" - she skated to Saint-Saens' "The (Dying) Swan" from Carnival of the Animals for her exhibition, and to Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" for her SP.

vCash
    Ladies: Michelle's Lyra Angelica
    Men: Yagudin's LP, 2002
    Pairs: Not sure
    Dance: Davis and White, Bollywood
    Exhibition: Michelle's Fields of Gold http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF4e1mtzr_Y

And this one didn't win and had several mistakes, but it is still inspiring:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polwvMNVgFU
    Last edited by giselle23; 04-12-2011 at 02:32 AM.

vCash
    Men: Yagudin's SP in 2002
    Dance: Torvill & Dean 1984
    Ladies: Lipinski LP in 1998
    Pairs: Berezhnaia/Sikharulidze 2002 Olympics SP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I love this clip. We're seeing a transition period of men's FS...then end of the Stojko/Eldredge/Kulik era, to the beginning of the Yagudin/Plushenko era.

What makes Kulik's skating and appearance so unique is his height. He seems so TALL on the ice, and at nearly 6' tall (compared to the slew of shorties), I guess he was.

I would have been really interested to see what would have happened had Ilia not had his problems in Nagano and gone on to SLC. Technically he was definitely a match for Yagudin and Plushenko. (Of course the unfortunate flipside to this is: poor Sasha Abt )

Does anyone actually have the official word on Ilia's height? I've seen him placed anywhere from 5'9" to 6'1".

Banned Member
    vCash
    Does anyone actually have the official word on Ilia's height? I've seen him placed anywhere from 5'9" to 6'1".
    180cm, aka 5'11'.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I would have been really interested to see what would have happened had Ilia not had his problems in Nagano and gone on to SLC. Technically he was definitely a match for Yagudin and Plushenko. (Of course the unfortunate flipside to this is: poor Sasha Abt )
    What problems did Ilia have in Nagano?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    180cm, aka 5'11'.
    Thankyou. A nice tall lad. I like tall lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    What problems did Ilia have in Nagano?
    He practically had a nervous breakdown...after Nagano he went straight to the pros, he didn't even do Worlds that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    180cm, aka 5'11'.
    In Centennial on Ice Kulik´s height was announced as 176 cm, a liiittle bit more than 5" 10, I think. He was shorter than Urmanov who was about 6".

vCash

He practically had a nervous breakdown...after Nagano he went straight to the pros, he didn't even do Worlds that year.
    Actually Ilia suffered from back problems before Nagano (did not participate in Europeans 1998) and had the same problem after Nagano (maybe in Nagano, too).

vCash
    Ilia was just fine psychologically in Nagano; actually, it has been commented on (even by Scott and other TV commentary people at the time) how well and calmly he handled an overwhelming amount of pressure there. Misskarne, if you watch the Nagano programs on Youtube, you will hear Scott discussing how almost preternaturally calm Ilia seems to be. He really held it together so well - no nerves showed at all!

Actually, Ilia says he wasn't that calm but he used some very definite techniques (sorta Zen stuff even back then) to stay very focused and as he said in an interview about it (also on Youtube), kept himself "from going into the distractions." Jaana is correct that he had back problems going into Nagano (very painful muscle spasms), handled them well through the Olympic process and then decided he did not want to push through the pain or the pressure any longer just before Worlds (and maybe that's the problem moment to which you refer).

He had just had it at that point and he just stopped, very suddenly and under a lot of internal pressure. He has said to the Krew that he now thinks that maybe he should have pushed himself through Worlds in 1998 - he has had second thoughts about that one. Beyond Worlds though he was very happy and definite about leaving eligible skating at the end of that season. He has said that it was very clear to him that he wanted to skate more expressively, do some of his own choreography, explore more styles of dance/skating than he could in eligible skating and make his own decisions as an adult. His four year contract with SOI following Nagano allowed him to do it all and establish a new home for himself in the LA area. He was really living his dreams.

Ilia's height is almost always listed at 5'11" - he is actually just slightly under 5'11", fairly tall for a skater. In skates he's over
    6' and looks every handsome inch of it.

PS Edited to add, to see just how very well Ilia was in Nagano look at video of his performance at the Olympic Gala in Tokyo afterward - he was so full of joy!
    Last edited by Willowway; 04-15-2011 at 03:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Ilia was just fine psychologically in Nagano; actually, it has been commented on (even by Scott and other TV commentary people at the time) how well and calmly he handled an overwhelming amount of pressure there. Misskarne, if you watch the Nagano programs on Youtube, you will hear Scott discussing how almost preternaturally calm Ilia seems to be. He really held it together so well - no nerves showed at all!
    Willowway, I apologise. I was well aware of Scott Hamilton's commentary (I find him quite funny on Nagano vids) but I had heard elsewhere that behind the mask he was in a bit of mental strife. However, if that is not the case, I am glad to hear it, because he deserved every inch of that gold medal and I am glad he was able to completely enjoy it!

Ilia's height is almost always listed at 5'11" - he is actually just slightly under 5'11", fairly tall for a skater. In skates he's over
    Absolutely He is a glorious sight!

vCash

PS Edited to add, to see just how very well Ilia was in Nagano look at video of his performance at the Olympic Gala in Tokyo afterward - he was so full of joy!
    So totally handsome in every aspect! he was my big favourite since I first saw him in 95, when he came from nowhere and won Europeans, his basic and cuteness blew me away!

His exhibition in Nagano was amazing, I was mesmerized (is that the spelling??) by his Liebestraum, so simple and clean, yet totally amazing. To me, that piece is what skating is all about! awwww good memories!
    (Neither Lotta Falckenbäck or I could breath during Ilias free skate in Nagano, we were both too nervous lol)

vCash
    Misskarne - no apoligies needed. There's misinformation out there about pretty much everyone. Ilia has had his difficult moments but he certainly did not have any kind of breakdown in Nagano - quite the opposite, he managed it like the champ he is.

SmallFairy - I was with you. I must have breathed during Ilia's LP but I don't recall doing it. I do recall screaming "YES, YOU DID IT" while jumping to my feet at the end. Even watching it now, the moment still thrills me. During World Pros some years later, Ilia skated out to take his place for his long (artistic) program, placed himself and then we heard those familiar opening notes on the clarinet and realized that yes, we were going to see "Rhapsody in Blue" live. I never thought I would see it (even minus the quad) in person and I teared up - it was so thrilling. He won that night also.
    Last edited by Willowway; 04-16-2011 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    Willoway, I wish I'd seen that, live.

vCash
    You know, I have always been a huge Kwan fan was really disappointed when she didn't win the gold in Nagano; however, with that said, I have to hand it to Tara. I just watched her performance again, and IMHO, it was one of the best Olympic performances and a well deserved gold.

vCash
    I must have breathed during Ilia's LP but I don't recall doing it. I do recall screaming "YES, YOU DID IT" while jumping to my feet at the end. Even watching it now, the moment still thrills me.
    I'm really jealous you saw it live/remember it. I remember doing a unit of work on the Winter Olympics for Nagano (I was in primary school then, ten years old, and the only reason I could remember it was that I was the only one who could write the mascots' names in Japanese).

But I have the video on my harddrive, and it still leaves me breathless anyway!

vCash
    John Curry 1976 Olympics LP

Gordeeva & Grinkov 1994 Olympics Exhibition

Alexei Yagudin 2002 Olympics SP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast