Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Ladies:
    SP: Michelle's 98 SP & Oskana's 94 SP (she's still the best swan in my opinion)

LP: Janet Lynn's 1972 freeskate and Lu Chen's '98 freeskate
    (While these performances aren't technically perfect, they are the most emotional and memorable LP's for me. )

Men:
    Yagudin's SP and LP are simply the best!

Pairs:
    G & G's performances at their first Olympics

Dance:
    Torvill & Dean's Bolero masterpiece.

vCash
    For me....

Men: 2002 Alexei Yagudin

Ladies: 2010 Yuna Kim

Dance: 2010 Virtue/Moir

I will never forget these great olympic performances as long as I live.

vCash
    I wish Kim had skated to Lark Ascending at the Olympics. Now THAT would have been the greatest performance in the Olympics if she executed everything the way she did in her Gershwin program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Ladies:
    Dance:
    Torvill & Dean's Bolero masterpiece.
    Torvill & Dean's Bolero 2011 version skated live last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nBkpHbGlEU

And even a flying version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0dzt...eature=related

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    You made a valid point about Yu-Na's joy being seen in a different way. I'm sorry you felt...
    No, I may be being blunt, but nationality (or emotional proximity to a skater) does and should affect how a viewer feels about a skater's performance, particularly about ones in the Olympics where nationalism and medal counting is a big part of it.

For the rest of your comment, I defer to orientalplane's post. To add my thought to it, Yuna's performance to the abstract jazz piece was more mature, subtle and sophisticated than Tara's bubbly and innocent performance to Rainbow, which was a bit juniorish (being 15) to today's standards but still age appropriate and nice. I would still pick Yuna's performance over Tara's because to me it is much more significant in terms of both artistry and technicality.
    Last edited by amaro; 04-02-2011 at 10:37 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post

@kwanfan1818, thanks for posting the links to my vids. Regarding a written biography of John, there is an excellent picture book by Keith Money that can often be found on ebay or amazon. Another biography called Black Ice was written after John's death by his former manager Elva Oglanby but John's family took out an injunction and it was withdrawn from sale. I have a copy and they do appear from time to time but often sell for over $100. It's rather tastelessly written and focuses waaay too much on his private life, plus none of it is corroborated or properly referenced. Hopefully someday, someone will write a definitive biography. It's an idea I have toyed with myself actually!
    Thank you for making them available! And thank you for the book recommendation -- I know Keith Money from his books on ballet and from his participation in the documentary "Margot" -- I just ordered it from amazon.com. Oglanby's book is available for over $100 now, and I think I'll pass. I'd rather read your book (candle lit that you'll write it).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I may have misinterpreted the intent of this thread. I don't have any links to post. I could do that of course, but it takes too much time and work

Thanks to all who posted the links. Quite frankly, I found it impossible to come up with just 3 great performances from the Olympics (although I posted 3 or 4 in a previous post). There are too many disciplines, SP & LP, and too many great performances. I am just going to enjoy them all.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    eedy. Also, free skates were longer then so you had to pace yourself a bit. Still, I found this performance to be absolutely sublime; he hit the difficult triples of that era, spun in both directions, had wonderful and musical transitions and deployed field moves. Also his back, body line, extension and musical interpretation were all pretty much flawless. That might not bring you out of your seat, but it does for me.
    Curry had three triples, through 3Lo, all of them beautiful. He also did his second 2A just before the 5-minute mark. The only jump with a simple entrance, telegraphed, was the 2Lz. He not only spun in both directions more than once, he changed directions multiple times in the program. There were slow parts musically, but there was not a break. He had turns and footwork throughout. He had a wide variety of spin positions and multiple moves in the field. He had transitions, transitions, transitions.

While he might not have been the fastest across the ice in the FS, the fast music from "Don Quixote" pas de deux he used is quite quick, and he kept up with quick steps and turns.

If you fast forward four years later, Robin Cousins attempted four triples, but didn't land the 3Lo properly; I'm not sure if the last two triples would be called a sequence. He also had three huge 2A's and a beautiful 1A, did one set of spins in opposite directions, and he milked his beautiful camel/spiral position for all it was worth

There wasn't that much of a gap between the two, with Curry landing the most difficult jump perfectly and having difficult entrances into most of his others, and Cousins attempting one more triple and landing one more 2A. It's not as if Curry were a technical laggard in the historical scheme of things. The big jump came between 1976 and 1984, with Orser's winning FS including five triples through 3A -- he doubled the Salchow towards the end, and he didn't do 3Lo -- and one 3/2 combination, and then again in 1988, where Boitano added 3A combo, Tano 3Lz, and a 3/3 among his jumps.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    For me:

Ladies- Kim in 2010. This one was easy for me. Kim is a much stronger jumper and artist both than Lipinski, so with both skating their best it is really no contest. And Tara and Michelle in 1998 had previously been the best performances in Olympic skating history.

Men- Curry in 1976. I pick this narrowly over Yagudin in 2002.

Pairs- Gordeeva & Grinkov in 1988, with M&D in 94 a close second. I would have picked M&D in 92 or G&G in 94 had either gone clean.

Dance- Klimova & Ponamarenko in 1992 with T&D in 84 a close second. I know T&D in 84 were probably the greatest, but just personal preference.

vCash
    For me:

Ladies - Yu Na Kim LP 2010

Men - Yagudin LP 2002 (that made me a fan of figure skating, before it was a sport among others I loved ), 2nd emotionally Plushenko SP 2006 (I owe this to my room-mates in college, I got crazy whole week! )

Pairs - Gordeeva&Grinkov 1988, and emotionally Shen&Zhao 2010 SP (dreams come true )and also Pang&Tong LP

Dance - Torvill&Dean 84

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    To John Curry's 1976 Free Skate, I would add:

Berezhnaia/Sikharulidze 2002 Olympics SP

The greatest FS IMO was Gordeeva/Grinkov's 1988 Olympics FS, but of all Olympics pairs programs, I think B/S's SP is the most exquisite.

Torvill and Dean's Bolero was extraordinary, but I think their greater performance was their Paso Doble OSP, where they kept up intensity and precision for the pattern and two repeats.
    ITA about B&S's SP at the 2002 Olympics. It was sublime, and I was lucky enough to see it live, in the arena.

vCash
    I'm really surprised youtube had not pulled those Vancouver videos they seem to have pulled every thing else Olympic related...within minutes.

vCash
    NBC successfully blocked all Youtube videos of their 2010 Olympic coverage for more than a year. Not only did NBC provide terrible coverage (ABC was MUCH better during the years it did the broadcasts) but they then tried to force everyone to visit their web site to view videos too. I think now that the 2010 NBC olympic web site is no longer showing those videos, I guess they don't care anymore.

4/8 - Well I may have to take back what I said earlier in this post. I checked again today and the Olympic vids that were there for awhile last month seem to have vanished. Very upsetting.
    Last edited by jatale; 04-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    NBC successfully blocked all Youtube videos of their 2010 Olympic coverage for more than a year. Not only did NBC provide terrible coverage (ABC was MUCH better during the years it did the broadcasts) but they then tried to force everyone to visit their web site to view videos too. I think now that the 2010 NBC olympic web site is no longer showing those videos, I guess they don't care anymore.
    I'm glad they are allowing them on. I paid for the whole competition through Amazon Video and one day it was gone. I would love to see some again.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Men's: Alexei Yagudin, 2002. Far and away.

Ladies: Uh...I'm not really sure. It's my least-favorite anyway. Yuna was technically brilliant and very pretty in her LP, though I liked her SP better.

Pairs: S/Z in 2010 for pure OVERDUE. Not as good as Turnadot at Worlds.

Dance: T/D's 1994 Rhumba. Closest thing ever to truly DANCING on ice.

vCash
    There are many great performances. The ones which are particularly emotional for me are the ones I saw in real time ( not live-I have never been to Olympics- but at least as they were happening). Thus, Yagudin's 2002 SLC victory has never been topped in my world. I was an emotional mess, out of happiness and excitement and nerves. I love and admire John Curry, and watched his Olympic LP many times, but I don't feel the same emotional charge as I feel thinking of Yagudin, because I did not live it.

I am not an ardent Yu-Na fan, but I admit that her victory was on par with Yagudin's- a rare, perfect Olympic moment when an athlete delivers 200%.

Dance- Klimova/ Ponomarenko 1992. That's the occasion when I agree nationality plays a part. I understand the greatness of Torville/ Dean, but I grew up watching Russian dance teams, so K/P exemplified perfect style for me; I prefer Bach to Bolero anyway.

Pairs... I dunno. Quite a few outstanding performances. But I am hoping for that "perfect moment" delivery from V/T in Sochi
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I have to say, I'm going to go a slightly different direction with the men's...

Yagudin's SP/LP in SLC were great, sure, but my favourite Olympic performance was Ilia Kulik's SHORT program in Nagano. I was a big fan of Revolutions! It was also the program that put him in the perfect place to launch his LP from.

I was a big fan of the wings...

I'm also going to give an honourable mention to Plushenko's SLC LP. I just think it was one of the ultimate examples of not holding back - he just flung himself full-throttle into that program and gave it everything he had. He knew he had nothing to lose and went hard. It didn't come off, but he sure didn't die with petrol in the tank!

(Also, triple axel-half loop-triple flip. HELL YEAH!)

From toreador and matador to flirty gypsy girl and back again...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm also going to give an honourable mention to Plushenko's SLC LP. I just think it was one of the ultimate examples of not holding back - he just flung himself full-throttle into that program and gave it everything he had. He knew he had nothing to lose and went hard. It didn't come off, but he sure didn't die with petrol in the tank!

Thanks for the reminder! He looks so fresh, young, juicy, yeah!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Pairs: S/Z in 2010 for pure OVERDUE. Not as good as Turnadot at Worlds.
    turandot it's my best pairs program ever, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm also going to give an honourable mention to Plushenko's SLC LP.

both Plushenko and Yagudin were amazing! I love more Yagudin, because it caught me more emotionally, but also Evgeni was great (I'm somehow an uber of both of them)!

vCash
    I know Mirai didn't win any medal but I think her FS from Vancouver was one of the best in the olympics Ladies competition was very strong and all: Yuna's FS, Mao's SP & Mirai's FS simply delighted me.

Before Vancouver I would say that The Greatest olympics performances were:

Yagudin's "Overcome"
    Baiul's "Swan Lake" (ex)
    Kwan's "Lyra Anglica"
    "Bolero" by Torvill & Dean

I know it's more than 3 but there are so many great programs...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast