Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What Should be Ashley Wagners next move?

Ashley was one of my favorites when she burst on the scene as a senior. She seemed to have so much confidence. But lately she does not seem to have that same confidence and her technique leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't think she is improving under Hill. That jump technique is so strange. How can you two foot practicially every jump? I think she was better under her old coach.

Should she try a new coach. Should she call it a career and go to College full time. I feel her time and talent has been wasted where she is. I heard Hill say she wants Ashley to be one of the best skaters well rounded skaters in the world. How is that going to happen.
    Last edited by Flying Camel; 04-02-2011 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    Coach or just jump coach to break down her tech and get rid of the two-foots and bad landings.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Yeah, I think she needs a jump coach..

vCash
    I think Ashley Wagners is really beautiful~~~
    Who have more photos of her?^^
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0MTk2MTQ0.html

vCash
    Priscilla Hill [or even a new coach] needs to somewhat strip down her programs to eliminate some [but not all, of course] of her transitions, so that she can handle landing clean jumps. I think the strategy all along has been to increase her GOE with all the wild transitions and moves, but it doesn't seem to be working. It just looks frantic and she sometimes seems 'lost' in them, even when she has a clean jumping pass.

She is a beautiful skater - more attack than any other top US lady, strong edge and toe jumps, fast centered spins w/ good extension, nice spiral. She has a lot to offer and could probably get those GOEs she's looking for with consistent, solid, well executed jumping passes.

I'd also want her to pay closer attention to her music choices. IMO, she should stick with music like 'Somewhere in Time' which allows her to 'breathe' on the ice, so you can take in those beautiful, aforementioned elements.

I'm not sure about a coaching change. Unlike some other top US ladies who need a confidence boost, if anything she seems a little too ambitious at times and should be firmly reined in. That's admittedly the lesser of the 2 evils, but can Priscilla do it?? Maybe. I don't know yet.

vCash
    She needs to go back to her old coach so she can land jumps one footed again.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Go back to Shirley Hughes? I watched her students, including Ashley, at local competitions for years. ALL of them, from the lowest levels on up, would come out doing toe axels, bad flutzes, and wildly underrotated jumps. Even if she wasn't teaching this (and some people have told me that she was deliberately teaching a toe axel), she was not correcting it and allowing her students to compete with the lowest standard of jump technique.

All of this served Ashley well in juniors and before Code of Points, when she'd rattle off seven underrotated triples, but it has caught up with her now. Her foundational technique is so weak that I don't think it can be fully corrected at this stage in her career. All things considered, Priscilla Hill hasn't done a bad job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Her foundational technique is so weak that I don't think it can be fully corrected at this stage in her career.
    Yes, well, that's what people said about Alissa . . .
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Well alissa's transformation started when she switched coaches and Ashley has been with Priscilla several years already and has not improved but has picked up worse habits yet.

vCash
    I think I said this in another thread not too long ago, but the way I see it, Ashley would be best served by a season off to work through some of her emotional issues. During that time, she could look for a new coach or a jumping coach to work alongside Hill. Then, hopefully, she would return to skating with a renewed spirit and a refined jumping technique.

vCash
    I'd like to see Ashley train under Raffael.

vCash
    Isn't Tammy Gambill available? She isn't coaching any top ladies right now, is she? Look what she did for Dorny and Zhang in a short amt. of time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Priscilla Hill [or even a new coach] needs to somewhat strip down her programs to eliminate some [but not all, of course] of her transitions, so that she can handle landing clean jumps.
    That was already done this season. Her programs were much striped down compared to those from last season's; still, the jumps were on and off, and more off than on actually. On the plus side this season she has had 3flip3toe and 2axel3toes ratified.

Arutunian sounds like a wonderful idea. So is a new choreographer (any new choreographer, but would love to see her work with Camerlango).

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    There is nothing more aggravating than watching a great skater two foot so many jumps. Especially since she is two footing for no real reason, it isn't being done to save a fall. I think she just rushes her jumps and the landings in competition. She has so much potential and I love how she packs in the inbetweens which so many skaters ignore, even though it isn't really reflected in her PCS like it should be. I think she needs to just work on timing and slowing down but it is probably more of a competition problem so I am not sure how to work on that.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Isn't Tammy Gambill available? She isn't coaching any top ladies right now, is she? Look what she did for Dorny and Zhang in a short amt. of time.
    LOL. She has coached 'Dorny' since he started skating. She has taught him everything he knows, so I'm not sure that she's a quick fix... But she is an amazing coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I think I said this in another thread not too long ago, but the way I see it, Ashley would be best served by a season off to work through some of her emotional issues. During that time, she could look for a new coach or a jumping coach to work alongside Hill. Then, hopefully, she would return to skating with a renewed spirit and a refined jumping technique.
    I think her issues are more physical than emotional. She had that problem with really bad muscle spasms that was only recently corrected, for one thing. And the two-foot problem is surely more physical than emotional?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I think her issues are more physical than emotional. She had that problem with really bad muscle spasms that was only recently corrected, for one thing. And the two-foot problem is surely more physical than emotional?
    I think it's a mix. I think the muscle spasms, like the heart murmur or whatever that was, were caused by stress. And someone said that Ashley 2-foots a lot when she gets nervous.

I wonder if a lot of her physical problems stem from the amount of pressure she seems to put on herself?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    LOL. She has coached 'Dorny' since he started skating. She has taught him everything he knows, so I'm not sure that she's a quick fix... But she is an amazing coach.
    I was thinking about how quickly CZ got a good 3flip and a better 2x w/ Gambill in a short amount of time, along with a more serious mind-set in the K & C. That does show a small miracle, so someone like Ashley who is a superior skater could go far w/ a coach like Gambill.

vCash
    I think she just gets nervous
    Last edited by SkateSkates; 04-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.

vCash
    Didn't Ashley's brother move to Wilmington with her, I think he is now attending college, wonder if moving would be difficult if she had to include him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast