vCash

Applying for jobs in Norway question

A friend of me wants to do just that and being the responsible and studious boring German that she is she not only wants to have all her references be translated into Norwegian but also wants to apply for a job (she is an educator) from Germany before she moves to Norway with her family.

Sounds reasonable to me. But when she spoke to three different persons at the Norwegian consul, they all told her that references and certificates are not really necessary in Norway and that the people are only hired from personally looking at them and sympathy.
    If only one person had said that I would say bullocks, but as three people did say it I began to wonder.

Does anyone here know how a "normal" application process for a job in Norway works?

(Btw she said, like I would do it myself that no matter what anyone says she will translate her references and certificates and show up with them whether anyone asks for it or not. This is just too ingrained in us to ever change that. I just wondered if what she was told at the consul is really true!)

vCash
    It all depends on the job you are applying for.

Normally, you apply by a written application and a CV. Some companies ask for certificates, but not normally with the first application, they ask you to bring them to the interview. About references, you normally give 3-4 reference people in the CV, that the company can call and ask about you, but normally they don't do that before they have met you at an interview.
    About written references, it's not the norm to enclose them with the application, you bring them to the interview as well.

That said, when you write an "open application" to a company, not for a specific job, it could be a good thing to enclose some references.

The normal process is as following:
    you find the a job you want to apply for on the internet (job seeking bases or companies home pages) or in the news paper

you write a written job application, with a CV and send it to the company

hopefully, they will call you in for an interview

then, the company will check your references

there might be more interviews, depending on the importance of the job

and then, hopefully you are offered the job

I hope this was helpful, just ask if you any more questions.

It's not excactly true that people are hired only from personal looks and sympathy, you won't be chosen for an interview unless your application is really good and your qualifications are fit for the job. In the written application, you sell yourself, also coming to personal matters. Try to keep it to max one a4 page, and stick straight to the point.

The CV should be max 2 a4 pages, with the most relevant education and experience first, then date the rest backwards.

Best of luck to your friend!! Hedwig, I think you should come to Norway too, I promise you lots of fun

vCash
    Thanks a lot for the detailed and helpful answer, SmallFairy! I will pass that on to my friend!

I would love to come to Norway for a while. It is definitely in the plans to do a holiday there in the near future!!
    When my friend talked about it yesterday I really wanted to join her for a couple of years. **dream**

Just one more question to clarify that I understood you right: You only write a cover letter on one page and a CV but don't send your certificates with the very first letter?

ETA: Sorry, I am dumb. That is exactly what you said in your text.
    Okay, got it now!!

vCash
    I'm glad I could help

Let me know if you come here on holiday, if you come to Oslo, I'll guide you, Oslo has everything! and we can go through my 200+ VCR figure skating tape collection if we are bored in the evenings ha ha ha

yup, you got it right, you don't send your certificates, unless the company in the job ad specifically asks for them. If you send an open application, not for a specific job, I guess it could be a good idea to add some certificates, but not to many, two or three should be fine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    A friend of me wants to do just that and being the responsible and studious boring German that she is she not only wants to have all her references be translated into Norwegian but also wants to apply for a job (she is an educator) from Germany before she moves to Norway with her family.

Sounds reasonable to me. But when she spoke to three different persons at the Norwegian consul, they all told her that references and certificates are not really necessary in Norway and that the people are only hired from personally looking at them and sympathy.
    If only one person had said that I would say bullocks, but as three people did say it I began to wonder.
    ^^ I worked in Norway last year and will do this year again. I had no references or certificates and it was through sympathy and a friend's recommendation to his boss so I'd say that's pretty much accurate. All the seasonal workers were hired through personal recommendation or simply phoning up and offering their services.
    ETA: I did have to send a CV after my phone interview, and many people just sent their CV and got phoned back.