vCash

Janet Lynn Facebook conundrum

Hey everyone. I made a facebook fan page for Janet Lynn ages ago because she didn't have one at the time and I absolutely adore her skating. Since then almost 700 people have joined the group and comment on the wall with the assertion that I am Janet Lynn Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I was just looking at the page after reading one of the fan comments that seemed to be talking to me personally and I saw that facebook gives me the chance to "Use Facebook as Janet Lynn" So I'm not sure what to do to rectify the situation. I'd love to get the real Janet Lynn involved to let her speak to her fans or just let the fans know that I'm not here. I just wanted her to have a FB fan page. I didn't realize at the time that it's best for the celebrity to create their fan page. What do you think?

vCash
    err...just put a disclaimer in the group description that says that the page isn't affiliated with her?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Janet Lynn is notoriously private. I doubt she herself would make a facebook page.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    I didn't realize at the time that it's best for the celebrity to create their fan page. What do you think?
    Honestly, there was a time when that was completely irrelevant. I don't like that...I think it's perfectly fair to create a fan page for people to celebrate celebrities. But facebook sees it differently?

I wonder if there's a way to contact Janet Lynn? Do what RD suggested and just say "this page is not affiliated with Janet Lynn, nor does Ms. Lynn sponsor or endorse this page. This is merely to celebrate her accomplishments." Or something like that.

vCash
    I'd love to get the real Janet Lynn involved to let her speak to her fans or just let the fans know that I'm not her.
    I'll tell ya how--start impersonating her! Go on and on about how, if you were still skating today, you'd be skating to hip-hop or Lady Gaga, etc. I guarantee you, before too long, the real Janet Lynn will pop up and set you straight!

You could start things off like this:

"Gimme a beat!!!!!

No, my first name ain't baby, it's Janet!! Miss Nowicki if you're nasty!!!!"

Last edited by neptune; 03-20-2011 at 07:24 AM.

vCash
    Having created an unofficial fan website on Janet Lynn about eight years ago, you definitely need to include a disclaimer to avoid getting of these kinds of messages from now on.

I had a look at your Facebook page, and I would not have known that it was a fan site based on the title, Janet Lynn - Athlete, alone.
    Last edited by aussieSKATES; 03-20-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Vacant
    vCash
    Most of the pople posting on the wall are like, talking to Janet as if it were her page. It seems unclear to me that this is a fanpage. Also she was the 1972 Olympic bronze medallist

vCash
    Can you simply rename it "Fans of Janet Lynn"?

vCash
    I see that all the time at the fan made pages of skaters I have "liked" on Facebook. Nothing new. There are two fan made Mao Asada like pages on Facebook that I've liked and everyone comments as if they're talking to Mao. I'm sure people do that just in case the skater stumbles onto the Facebook page.

The funniest one I saw was on the Yu-na like page. The creator (they've posted before that the page isn't affiliated with Yu-na, just a bunch of fans) posted up a link regarding the 2011 Worlds frenzy and made a comment and one commenter though "Yu-na" shouldn't be posting something like this because "Yu-na" is not Japanese. O_o I wanted to tell the person that the page was just fan made but I let it alone. XD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Can you simply rename it "Fans of Janet Lynn"?
    Unfortunately Facebook won't allow me to change the name of the group, but I've taken the suggestions mentioned here and added an all caps disclaimer in two areas of the page. Thanks so much for the feedback!

vCash
    I've taken the suggestions mentioned here and added an all caps disclaimer in two areas of the page. Thanks so much for the feedback!
    Did you put the "I'm not a prude (no)/I just want some respect (that's right)/So close the door if you want me to respond (ooh, ooh yeah)" part in all caps too???? I was thinking you might want to keep that part a little more low-key, along with a few of the Janet videos.

vCash
    Here are some transcripts of more recent interviews with Janet Lynn, if anybody's interested:

http://www.reviveourhearts.com/topic...name=Parenting

vCash
    Guess whose birthday it is today???

Hint: It isn't Paris Hilton's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Guess whose birthday it is today???

Hint: It isn't Paris Hilton's.
    Happy Birthday, Janet!