vCash

Kate Middleton's Ancestry...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...try.cnn?hpt=C2

Fascinating! Kate is related to Guy Ritchie. Princess Diana, George Washington and others also...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Thanks for sharing! We talked about her genealogy in an earlier thread - as I understand it, she is also directly descendant of Katherine Carey, who was a lady in waiting to Elizabeth I. Depending on what you believe, that makes her either a direct descendant of Henry VIII, or at the very least, Anne Boleyn's sister Mary.

vCash
    Very interesting,thanks for the link.Hadn't really read up on this particular topic yet,been kinda busy.

vCash
    I would love to trace my family that far back. Maybe someday, I will. There is a HUGE geneaology library in SLC (only about 30 minutes from my house.)

Now that I think about it, my maternal grandfather has traced our line back to the 1700's, but I definately need to get to work on my father's side of the family. I haven't been able to get past Texas, circa late 1800's (hey, it's a BIG state!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    There is a HUGE geneaology library in SLC (only about 30 minutes from my house.)
    Jealous! The Family History Library is like Mecca to genealogists. I would love nothing more than to take a week and just go bucknutty with their records.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Jealous! The Family History Library is like Mecca to genealogists. I would love nothing more than to take a week and just go bucknutty with their records.
    Come on over! I'll even cook you dinner...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I've spent a lot of time on the LDS website, and there's a ton there - lots of misinformation of course, but a good place to start.

nubka, the resources on Texas are vast - if you check the message boards of genealogy.com, you'll find that there's a separate forum for every county in Texas, and I've also found a ton of data from people transcribing death certificates and cemetery plots. It's a hotbed of genealogy, so I'm sure you'd find a lot once you get going.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Kate is related to ... Princess Diana
    And Kate and William are 14th cousins.
    So the royals really ARE like rednecks, unemployed, on government assistance and marrying their cousins.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I would love to trace my family that far back. Maybe someday, I will. There is a HUGE geneaology library in SLC (only about 30 minutes from my house.)

Now that I think about it, my maternal grandfather has traced our line back to the 1700's, but I definately need to get to work on my father's side of the family. I haven't been able to get past Texas, circa late 1800's (hey, it's a BIG state!)
    Check out ancestry.com. I did the 14 day free trial and got some info. Next I am trying archives.com, they have a free 7 day trial. I am going to try all the free stuff first, then figure out next steps.
    Some of the info is funny. In checking out the US census every 10 years, my great great grandfather's last name spelling is different on each one (it is Heiser, but also Hizer, Hieser, etc). Also one relative I know is named Doris, but is on the census as 'Davis'. The handwriting can be hard to follow.

vCash
    I am finding young,Scottish bachelors in the mid-late 1700's who are emigrating to America are near impossible to trace(my dads side). Memphis has an enormous genealogy library at their Main library,half a floor is devoted to it (it's 4 + stories tall).I've spent hours there and hours online.(even on ancestry.com) I can get 7 generations back on my paternal grandfathers side.