Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Oh, no!!! Anyone remember the book The Against Taffy Sinclair Club? Where the girls send away for the Milo Venus Bust Developer?!
    Omg yes!!!! I loved the Fabulous Five too. They were soo jealous of Taffy honestly.

And I read Christopher Pike too. My oldest friend still has her collection.

Anyone remember Lois Duncan? I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Third Eye, Don't Look Behind You...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meggonzo View Post
    was anyone else into Christopher Pike's books? Remember Me, Whisper of Death, Road to Nowhere, Fall into Darkness... love them!!
    Oh hell yeah!!!!!! The Final Friends series, See You Later, Slumber Party, the list goes on and on. I think I had moved on by the time he started his vampire series, but I hear they're really good. If you haven't, you should check out the handful of adult books he's done. They're longer, and feature grown-ups rather than oversexed teens, but the general vibe is still the same.

I too enjoyed my share of Lois Duncan, and I had completely forgotten about the existence of Taffy Sinclair, but it's all coming back to me thanks to this thread.

On that note, did anyone else read Richard Peck, particularly the Blossom Culp books? Loved those.

vCash
    I have read a couple of Pike's adult books. He had one that came out a few years ago called Falling. It was pretty good, but kinda gruesome in parts. I also found some of his other adult titles at a used book store last summer - Season of Passage and the Cold One. The Season of Passage was ok, but I guess I was expecting more? I actually really liked the Cold One. There was supposed to be a sequel but he never wrote it.

vCash
    I don't remember Taffy Sinclair, but Fabulous Five sounds familiar. I remember I had a book where there were two competing groups and the one group had found some clubhouse and then they had to compete in a Tug-of-war against the other group to see who would win it. Is that Fabulous Five??

I also read some of the Little Gymnasts and Pen Pals and later on Freshman Dorm.

Is it too embarrassing to admit that I bought a bunch of Sweet Valley/BSC/Pike books a few years back on ebay??

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I remember Christopher Pike too. I read all his books for a while and then I think I either lost interest or he had too much of a gap in between two of them and I forgot about them. They were really good and I'm intrigued now to find out that he wrote adult books too. For some reason I thought he only wrote young adult books, LOL

A friend of mine read the SV Confidential book this week and she mentioned on FB that she was majorly disappointed with it. She was upset about this too and that is definitely a bummer to hear this from her as she and I have very similar tastes in just about everything. Considering the fact that I didn't read the Senior Year series of SVH books and didn't even finish the SVH series when they were still juniors in HS (I went to college and aside from reading a most of the college ones, I never had time for fun reading), I should probably skip reading this new book. I have a feeling I might be confused by some of the newer characters and quite frankly, I don't know if I really want all my childhood memories of those books ruined by Francine Pascal making Liz and Jessica meet up hardcore with too much reality, LOL

BTW-I read BSC books too but I didn't discover those until I was all ready way into my teens so I outgrew those really fast. They are cute books though. Stacey was my fave.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    The YA stuff is definitely Pike's bread and butter.

Fans are very about the sequel to The Cold One. It's not like it was just a rumor. They actually published an excerpt. Talk about a tease. It must be going on 2 decades now. I guess it ain't gonna happen, but you never know with authors. That muse could speak to him at any moment.

vCash
    I don't remember Taffy Sinclair, but Fabulous Five sounds familiar. I remember I had a book where there were two competing groups and the one group had found some clubhouse and then they had to compete in a Tug-of-war against the other group to see who would win it. Is that Fabulous Five??

I also read some of the Little Gymnasts and Pen Pals and later on Freshman Dorm.

Is it too embarrassing to admit that I bought a bunch of Sweet Valley/BSC/Pike books a few years back on ebay??
    I don't remember a tug of war for a clubhouse, but there were definitely two competing groups in the Fabulous Five (that was in middle school/jr. high - Taffy Sinclair was mostly elementary school and she was phased out afterward, iirc she became an actress so was away a lot). So I guess it could have happened.

I just remembered another series - Sleepover Friends! I mostly remember one character named Patti who was shy, and the sophisticated Stephanie who was from "the city" and liked some specific color combo - I think red, white and black?

There was also another series where one of the girls did West Side Story - I surprised my Dad by knowing half the lines before ever actually seeing the movie. Will have to remember which one that was...

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Omg yes!!!! I loved the Fabulous Five too. They were soo jealous of Taffy honestly.

And I read Christopher Pike too. My oldest friend still has her collection.

Anyone remember Lois Duncan? I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Third Eye, Don't Look Behind You...
    Summer of Fear was one of my favorite Lois Duncan books . I'll never forget how CBS made an absolutely horrid TV movie out of it starring Linda Blair .
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    I too enjoyed my share of Lois Duncan, and I had completely forgotten about the existence of Taffy Sinclair, but it's all coming back to me thanks to this thread.

On that note, did anyone else read Richard Peck, particularly the Blossom Culp books? Loved those.
    Yes, this is a good thread! Reminds me of when I was a kid, and I would walk or ride my bike over to the neighborhood library, come home with a big stack of YA paperbacks and have them all read by halfway to the due date.

I remember Blossom Culp as, thanks to watching silent movies, I've always had a fascination with life during that time period. Ghosts I Have Been was my favorite.

vCash
    May I ask why the twins have only aged to the 20's- what have they got that we don't have?-cause I grew up reading SWH and I am NOT in my 20's anymore???

vCash
    Heather - Sorry your friend didn't like the book! I think you have to go in expecting it will be a piece of crap and just get some laughs out of it. I haven't read it yet. My bday is at the end of the month so I'm hoping someone will buy it for me!

Lara - I read Sleepover Friends too! I even had some recipe book for all the junk food that they used to eat at their sleepovers. Wish I could find that...

vCash
    Lara - I read Sleepover Friends too! I even had some recipe book for all the junk food that they used to eat at their sleepovers. Wish I could find that...
    It was called the Super Sleepover Guide and I still have it on my shelf... the recipe for Kate's Super-Fudge is great, actually!

vCash
    I remember Sleepover Friends! There was one where Patty (Patsy?) got a makeover and was *so* cool, so my friends and I all had to go out and get clothes just like her. I'm pretty sure it included leg warmers, neon mini skirts and shoulder pads

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I remember Sleepover Friends! There was one where Patty (Patsy?) got a makeover and was *so* cool, so my friends and I all had to go out and get clothes just like her. I'm pretty sure it included leg warmers, neon mini skirts and shoulder pads
    I remember in the same book, Patty got shown up in her attempt to be the coolest by some girl from out of town who proved she was the epitome of California fashion by wearing a rubber miniskirt.

My favourite thing about the Sleepover Friends is that these four girls apparently rode all over town on bicycles, went to the mall alone and bought clothing with their own money, hung out (again, without any parents in sight) at pizza places and ice cream parlours after school, had their own business (as birthday party entertainers), and had sleepovers every Friday night... and yet they were supposed to be in Grade 5. Riiiiight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dramagrrl View Post
    It was called the Super Sleepover Guide and I still have it on my shelf... the recipe for Kate's Super-Fudge is great, actually!
    I still have it too... I love the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe

vCash
    Heather - Sorry your friend didn't like the book! I think you have to go in expecting it will be a piece of crap and just get some laughs out of it. I haven't read it yet. My bday is at the end of the month so I'm hoping someone will buy it for me!
    I got the book Friday and am almost done with it. It has been an entertaining read to say the least. There are many problems with the structure, writing, etc., but I expected those. It is a great piece of nostalgia, which is what I view it as overall.

vCash
    Ooh, I meant to ask earlier if people ever read the Christopher Pike books. Man... those books gave me straight-up nightmares!

I actually thought I only read about 2-3 of those books, but on reflection I think I read 6:

* Gimme a Kiss (girl fakes her death by jumping off a boat... only to be double-crossed by her best friend)
    * Fall Into Darkness (girl fakes her death by jumping off a cliff... only to be double-crossed by her brother's best friend)
    * Witch (some teenage witch with healing powers or something, kind of boring)
    * Final Friends series - first book only (I guess I didn't care enough who murdered Alice, heh)
    * Chain Letter - in retrospect, it kinda seems like a ripoff of "I Know What You Did Last Summer"
    * Some book in which kids are getting eaten in the woods by what everyone thinks is a wild animal, but then it turns out the wild animal is a foreign exchange student girl... can't figure out the name of this one though!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I read a lot of Christopher Pike books too. Remember Me was my favorite--there were even a couple of sequels, but they weren't as good as the original.

I also liked Witch, The Midnight Club, See You Later, and The Season of Passage.

I HATED the book Monster. It was really gross and bothered me for a while after I read it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    Remember Me was my favorite--there were even a couple of sequels, but they weren't as good as the original.
    Just looked at the synopsis and realized I read this one too (though I don't recall whodunit, though, lol)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Just looked at the synopsis and realized I read this one too (though I don't recall whodunit, though, lol)

Spoiler

I've re-read the book as an adult, and it holds up pretty well.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast