Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I thank The Babysitters Club for my understanding of diabetes. (Because it was explained in every. single. book. it seemed.)
    Ha, me too! I have a family history of it but never understood it...until BSC. Now, I still remember it because Stacey had it

A friend and I just read the first chapter online, and the spoilers. Hilariously ridiculous. And ridiculously hilarious. I still wanna read it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    My favorite ever SVH book is Sweet Valley Saga, which is about the female ancestors of Jessica and Elizabeth. There's also the Wakefield Saga, about the boys. I loved the historical part.
    I loved the sagas, too. Even though I was always that a lot of the female ancestors were twins who looked exactly like Elizabeth & Jessica. Those are some strong genes if all the girls in the family have blond hair, aqua eyes & were perfect size 6's.

BTW, the link Mozart gave is awesome!

vCash
    The Evil Twin ruled!

vCash
    I do remember searching out the book where Regina tries cocaine and then DIES!
    That one was awesome. Regina had it hard. The poor girl was deaf. She got kidnapped by the crazy guy who wanted the computer chip from her family's company. She gets her hearing back, but then breaks up with her boyfriend. She then tries cocaine and falls over dead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I read so many BSC books, and of course the Saddle Club (talk about whiplash seeing the TV version of that--it got moved to AUSTRALIA, for some weird reason--I get it was a Canada/Australia coproduction, but couldn't they have filmed in, I don't know, Canada?)
    I actually watched that show, back when the channel that carried it was called Discovery Kids (I think it's been renamed). Hated when they changed all the actors in the 3rd (?) season - the replacement for Veronica DeAngelo was no match for the original actress who played her.

Never really got into the SVH/SVT books, except one or two--there was one where Elizabeth took up horseback riding, and one where there was some girl who moved from middle-of-nowhere KY or something? (Might even be the same book.)
    Elizabeth was always into horses, and in SVT #8 First Place, Lila Fowler actaully gets a horse, but Elizabeth is the one who ends up exercising it and taking care of it, buddying up to Lila to do so, and pissing off Jessica in the process.

I can't remember the name of the other book (I think it was SVT #24 or so - I have the first 33 SVT books, and then I outgrew the series), but I remember the girl's name was Ginny Lu Culpepper. IIRC the horse's name in the story was Snow White.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Those are some strong genes if all the girls in the family have blond hair, aqua eyes & were perfect size 6's.
    Apparently the books were updated for re-release a year or two ago, and now the twins are perfect size 4's.

I still remember my first Sweet Valley Twins book - #14, Tug of War. My mom had been shopping and bought it for me as a surprise.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I do remember searching out the book where Regina tries cocaine and then DIES!
    I read that one first...it was quite the intro.

Another review: http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/03/31/sw...igh-nostalgia/

vCash
    I was too old for them, but I did read the Sweet Valley University series, as it was very popular at my library. All I remember is that Elizabeth gained the Freshman 15 in one of them.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Oh, the horror!

vCash
    Stacey and Dawn were always my favorite BSC members. Whenever we played any type of make believe where we gave each other new names, I was always Stacey Dawn

vCash
    This Sweet Valley blog is hilarious. She recaps some other books too.
    http://thedairiburger.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I can't believe there was/is a board game and I didn't know about it. Where have I been?

Oh well. What was the object of the game? Did the winner get a set of matching lavaliere necklaces to go their blue-green eyes?
    The object of the game was to go around the high school and collect all your pieces for your big date and then make it back to your home space before anyone else. The best part was that if you landed on certain spots, you would have to switch your boyfriend card with someone else. I mean really?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAnkle View Post
    I was too old for them, but I did read the Sweet Valley University series, as it was very popular at my library. All I remember is that Elizabeth gained the Freshman 15 in one of them.
    NO! And when she had the size 6 gene? How is that even possible??
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    NO! And when she had the size 6 gene? How is that even possible??
    Because she refused to put out for Todd and he broke up with her, so she was depressed and binge eating. Not sure what kind of message that is sending...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Stacey and Dawn were always my favorite BSC members. Whenever we played any type of make believe where we gave each other new names, I was always Stacey Dawn
    I have a "music memory" certificate from 2nd grade that is written out to Claudia (my last name).

The teacher told us to write down the name we wanted to appear on the certificate. Claudia was my name of the week, and the instructions seemed vague enough that I didn't need to use my ACTUAL name.

vCash
    I read the BSC club until I was way too old for it. Stacey was my favorite. Remember when she started hanging out with those girls who hung out at the mall? And took whine to a U4Me concert? Bad, bad girls

And all the bitchery when Mary Anne cut her hair.

I love this blog that recaps all the books:
    http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    My favorite ever SVH book is Sweet Valley Saga, which is about the female ancestors of Jessica and Elizabeth. There's also the Wakefield Saga, about the boys. I loved the historical part.
    I loved the sagas, too. Even though I was always that a lot of the female ancestors were twins who looked exactly like Elizabeth & Jessica. Those are some strong genes if all the girls in the family have blond hair, aqua eyes & were perfect size 6's.

BTW, the link Mozart gave is awesome!
    I loved those Saga books too! I still have them and read them from time to time. Lila's was my favorite of that group but I really enjoyed all of them.

I haven't read too many good reviews of the Confidential book either but heck, the books themselves didn't get very good reviews either back then (according to one article at least) so who cares?! It should be good fun anyway. I'm starting to wonder how I'll feel reading about these two girls and all their friends dealing with grown up problems though. I have enough problems myself...where's the escapism here?! LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I thank The Babysitters Club for my understanding of diabetes. (Because it was explained in every. single. book. it seemed.)
    Wasn't it? It was actually really nice, because my childhood BFF was diagnosed with diabetes when we were in the 5th grade which was when we started reading them . In fact, she introduced me to the BCC and was all excited that "one of the main characters" had it. I assumed she had discovered the series by coincidence, but I wonder if maybe her doctor or social worker recommended them to her.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    And I also was a huge fan of BSC, and the super specials were awesome. I occasionally wonder if my mother gave away my book series or not... because if I had them (BSC & SVH/U) I would totally re-read them! I'll have to ask her tonight.
    I know mine are still around here somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where and what shape they're in. I need to hunt them down.

I occassionally see used copies in thrift stores, but I haven't come across any that I didn't think I already had (or remembered having). If I ever have a daughter, I want to share them with her and I'd like a complete set.

vCash
    Count me in with the formerly BSC and SV obsessed. I'm so going to have to read the new book. I think the last series from Sweet Valley was when Elizabeth was dating a jerk and Jessica tries to prevent them getting serious, upsetting Liz to the point of running away to London for a summer program. Except the deadline was passed so she had no room and board or money, and becomes a maid. To royalty of course.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast