Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I just placed a hold on this book at my library. I am 13th in line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It's.....interesting, that's for sure!
    I was just looking at the reviews on Amazon, and they don't look good. Among other things, someone reported there are numerous typos throughout the book.

vCash
    I think I still have the first 20-odd books from the series in my basement, courtesy of my god-daughter who thought they were The Best Literature Ever and gave them to me for safe-keeping when her mother threatened to throw them out if she refused to read anything else.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I'm holding myself back from buying the new book. I had the board game too.

I started reading SVH in 4th grade, and I probably stopped in 8th grade or so. I had a competition with one of my bookworm friends to see who could read more of the books, since they were past #40 when we started. My friend had an unfair advantage--she had 2 olders sisters who had a bunch of the books.

Ah, memories. I was also a big Babysitters Club fan too.

vCash
    I wasn't nearly as big of a sweet valley fan as I was a BSC fan- but I might pick this up for nostalgia sake.

I remember reading books about the twins before they got to high school- Sweet Valley Junior high and Sweet Valley Twins. I liked those better because as a 1st and 2nd grader, I couldn't identify as much with the Sweet valley high books (though I definetly had a few)...

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I read so many BSC books, and of course the Saddle Club (talk about whiplash seeing the TV version of that--it got moved to AUSTRALIA, for some weird reason--I get it was a Canada/Australia coproduction, but couldn't they have filmed in, I don't know, Canada?) Never really got into the SVH/SVT books, except one or two--there was one where Elizabeth took up horseback riding, and one where there was some girl who moved from middle-of-nowhere KY or something? (Might even be the same book.)

vCash
    I loved Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High! I still have most of my old books in my parents' basement. I had the board game too (I was always Lila... she was my favourite because she had brown hair like me ).

I have to confess, I did buy the new book but I haven't started it yet. How could I resist?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I remember not understanding what a lavaliere necklace was and trying to figure it out.
    Heck, I am US born and bred and I had to look up lavaliere in the dictionary to figure it out.

A Spider Fiat isn't a particularly popular car here either, especially with the HS set.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I was always Enid, too.
    And I loved The Babysitters Club! I stopped collecting/reading the books at number 90-something, but I also had all of the "Super Specials," etc. I even wrote to Ann M. Martin and she sent me a signed letter back. I was so excited.
    I never read the Sweet Valley books, but I LOVED The Babysitters Club. I think I stopped reading somewhere in the lower 60's. I still have my VHS tapes with the short movies, too. I was also a card-carrying member of the BSC fan club.

I didn't know there was a prequel. I may have to read it...

vCash
    Oh Lord, I remember when my sister was into SVH and Babysitters' Club. So goofy. I tried to read some of them, just because I was always poking around in her books, but I didn't get very far. Especially with SVH.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    I was also a card-carrying member of the BSC fan club.
    Aww, thanks for reminding me of this. I'd forgotten about being a member of the club. I'm sure if I spent enough time looking for it I could find my membership card at my parents' house.

I also used to have a [fake] gold necklace with a Babysitters Club charm on it. It was a free gift with one of the Super Special books. And I had the Mallory doll.

vCash
    I had a Mary Ann doll- it was a pretty crappy doll. I remember being disappointed in it pretty quickly after getting it.

In college I found about 100 of the books in my closet, so I took them out and reread all of them- apparently after I stopped reading they added some girl named Abby- her "thing" was that she had bad allergies. Really dumb... there are still a few books I haven't read, but I got all the super specials that I had missed. Super specials were my favorite!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Heck, I am US born and bred and I had to look up lavaliere in the dictionary to figure it out.
    I just accepted it was a type of stone and moved on - but now I had to look and see that it's a style of necklace, not an actual stone!

Reminds me of watching One Life to Live in the mid-80s, when there was a storyline involving Tina Clayton (Lord) on trial for murder - the trial hinged on something made of lapis lazuli she had been wearing and the term was brought up a lot. It seemed so very exotic
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I was fluent in English when I read the books, but still a little iffy on so many things about it. I remember not understanding what a lavaliere necklace was and trying to figure it out. For some reason my translation came out to rope, but I couldn't figure out why they would wear rope.

The blue-green eyes freaked me out too. I thought they each had one blue eye and one green. Between that and the Spider Fiat they drove (that I thought must look like a spider), I was lost at moments.

So you can imagine I was quite confused as to why everyone thought these girls were so pretty with their mismatched eyes and rope necklaces. Add them driving around in a car that looked like a spider and I had a strange view of what was cool in the US.
    Too funny. And thanks for reminding me what kind of car the twins drove, I had forgotten!

I too was a big Babysitters Club fan. I think those were the only two series I followed.

The beginning of each SVH book was always so tedious though, as the author took pains to remind us of how Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield looked alike in every possible way (other than Elizabeth's mole) but their personalities couldn't possibly have been any more different (Jessica = narcissistic, manipulative and never wore a watch; Elizabeth = boring, and always wore a watch), not to mention Lila Fowler, Bruce Patman and the teacher with the strawberry blond hair, whatever the heck his name was again, lol.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Here is a SVH blog

http://shannonsweetvalley.com/
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Did anyone read the Sweet Valley University series? I actually liked that one a bit more because it seemed more current. Most of the early SVH books screamed "I was written in the early 80's!"

And I also was a huge fan of BSC, and the super specials were awesome. I occasionally wonder if my mother gave away my book series or not... because if I had them (BSC & SVH/U) I would totally re-read them! I'll have to ask her tonight.

vCash
    ^ My mom gave all my books away to a needy child... gosh darn it
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I still like to pick up a Sweet Valley book and read it every once in a while.

I was a Babysitters Club fan when I was younger. Dawn was my fave, and I started to lose interest after she went back to California. I wonder if my niece might like them. She's around the age I was when I got them.

There's a book series I read in high school, Daughters of the Moon, that I wish had lasted longer. It was 13 books plus a another 4 from a tie-in series. I suppose it's nice that the author had a vision and ended the series at an appropriate length and didn't drag things out forever. This is one series that I'd love to see adapted for TV.

vCash
    Wow, this thread is making me feel old, lol!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I was more into Sweet Valley Twins and definitely had all their Super Specials, Thrillers, etc, but I do remember searching out the book where Regina tries cocaine and then DIES!

My favorite ever SVH book is Sweet Valley Saga, which is about the female ancestors of Jessica and Elizabeth. There's also the Wakefield Saga, about the boys. I loved the historical part.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast