Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    There's a big difference between doing a jump in practice and doing it in a program. Brian Orser, Brian Boitano, Jozef Sabotchik (SP?), Christopher Bowman could all do quads in practice.

vCash
    A rotated 3A on 2 feet is worth much more than a clean 2A. Now that the ladies can do a single 3A in the SP, it has to be tempting to go for it.

vCash

Clears up the speculation!

Tweet from Mirai:

mirai_nagasu @Tenis_Den they're still half a turn cheated lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayana_mnk View Post
    It has been reported that Adelina Sotnikova has been practicing triple axels. Since Tuktamisheva has not yet performed a triple axel in international competition, one could say Sotnikova is on equal footing in that regard. It will be interesting to see which one of them can accomplish this feat first.
    This quote in the article came from Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, not from Adelina Sotnikova. I was at that press conference, so I know for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    Midori is the queen! The height on her 3a and the distance it covers is incredible. It looks so easy for her, what a skater she was!

I really like Tonyas kind of straight entrance, and her height is also fab, sometimes she's a bit off in the air, but lands nicely.

The good-ole-technique is still the best!

Maos position in the air is to die for, gorgeous, but I'm not such a fan of her take off, she "sits down" too much. but those clips of a really tiny, young Mao....awwww! love her

I agree with all of this, my ideal 3A would be Tonya's entrance with big "step up" into the jump, Midori's height and ice coverage with Mao's in air position.

Since we're not able to make a Frankenstien's triple axel i'd take Midori's especially the later ones with the wrap gone from the first rotation.

vCash
    Mao's takeoffs are not attractive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    True. I think the real impressive aspect of Mao's 3a is just how many years she been able to regularly pull it off. Only Midori could possibly challenge her in that aspect!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Denis Ten tweeted today:

@mirai_nagasu landed couple of nice triple axels today.

Of course, I know that the next question/comment will be, "yes, but were they fully rotated". But it is something.
    It is, I'm so glad.
    Does the fact that Nagasu is after the off season benning big tricks (and not looking for a relocation) mean that Nagasu and Carroll are fine again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I would love to see vids of THAT!!
    Second that with an emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Harness or no harness?
    Unfortunately, I think it'd make quite a difference. So, I hope no harness.

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Mao's air position is the best, in my opinion. She's up and BAM! Her feet are VERY neatly together the whole jump. Probably one reason she can rotate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post

Mao's position in the air is indeed to die for, and I don't mind her take off one bit: it's one of those times when actually seeing the effort is nice.
    Last edited by loulou; 04-01-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typos

Vacant
    vCash
    Midori's is still the best for sure. I loved the ones she did between '89 and '92. The ones she did as a professional have a different timing to them and she wraps a bit more. Still they're amazing though. I don't think Mao's sitting on the edge so long is unnatractive but it is a little unorthodox. People always seem to bash her triple axel but I agree with Berthesghost, the most amazing thing is that she has been able to land them every year since the age of 12 Also impressive is the fact that she has kept this jump at all through all the major growth spurts she's had. Mao's is never going to look like Ito's or Harding's. She does it her way because of her build and strength to weight ratio. She is not muscular so had to find a different way of doing the jump. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. At least she's still out there landing them. That compilation video shows just what an incredible achievement this jump is in ladies skating.

vCash
    Mao was lucky her body didn't change much during puberty. I think she's about the same height and weight now as she was when she won the GPF in 2005, maybe like 1 inch taller and 5 lbs heavier, but it's really not a big change when you think of how drastic some peoples bodies change during puberty. That probably helped her keep her 3a over the years.

Mirai I think actually has a good build for 3a where she has broad shoulders and a strong upper body. The speed she carries into her jumps will also help her pull the jump off.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Mao was lucky her body didn't change much during puberty. I think she's about the same height and weight now as she was when she won the GPF in 2005, maybe like 1 inch taller and 5 lbs heavier, but it's really not a big change when you think of how drastic some peoples bodies change during puberty. That probably helped her keep her 3a over the years.

Mirai I think actually has a good build for 3a where she has broad shoulders and a strong upper body. The speed she carries into her jumps will also help her pull the jump off.
    I met Mao at TEB in 2005 and she was tiiiiny. Very slender but also very small. She has grown considerably since that time but mostly upwards. 1 inch taller and 5llbs heavier is waay off.

vCash
    Melissa Bulanhagui made a very respectable attempt in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uVNW8hA-R8

vCash
    Bulanhagui's attempted a 3A the last 3 summers at the Liberty club competition (2007-2009). Even though her jump has been called < by the technical panel each time, I'm glad she's been going for it! I'm just waiting to see her attempt 3A in a competition besides Liberty now.

Quote Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
    Tweet from Mirai:

mirai_nagasu @Tenis_Den they're still half a turn cheated lol!
    I like her honesty!

vCash
    Actually, Mao's take off has become more attractive this season with her new technique. In the new video, she takes less time on the entry edge, and uses more speed going into the jump so she doesn't have to bend down as low/for as long.
    4CC 2011:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_YvWQuzSuI
    4CC 2010:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSCiEB6vxo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I met Mao at TEB in 2005 and she was tiiiiny. Very slender but also very small. She has grown considerably since that time but mostly upwards. 1 inch taller and 5llbs heavier is waay off.
    Mao is still very tiny. Felicia Zhang said on her formspring that when she met Mao at TEB this year, she was surprised that they were about the same size. http://www.formspring.me/feliciazhang
    She's barely taller and almost as skinny as Zijun Li http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9f06dddd01.jpg who is itty bitty. Mao's keeping her 3a may have something to do with not really letting her body go through puberty, she still is built like a 14 year old. Last season didn't she have to lose like 3 kg to get that jump rotated or something? In any event, back to Mirai, I hope she doesn't go to any extreme or unhealthy measures to master the 3a. I sometimes wonder about Mao, she's been so focused on the 3a these past two seasons and has also become alarmingly thin.

vCash
    ^^Mao seems to be the same size as Yu Na, judging from podium pictures. Could Zijun Li have been wearing skates but not Mao in that photo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Mao is still very tiny. Felicia Zhang said on her formspring that when she met Mao at TEB this year, she was surprised that they were about the same size. http://www.formspring.me/feliciazhang
    She's barely taller and almost as skinny as Zijun Li http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9f06dddd01.jpg who is itty bitty. Mao's keeping her 3a may have something to do with not really letting her body go through puberty, she still is built like a 14 year old. Last season didn't she have to lose like 3 kg to get that jump rotated or something? In any event, back to Mirai, I hope she doesn't go to any extreme or unhealthy measures to master the 3a. I sometimes wonder about Mao, she's been so focused on the 3a these past two seasons and has also become alarmingly thin.
    Mao has always looked like she has to walk around in the shower to get wet. I don't see any significant weight loss over the last couple of years.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    ^^Mao seems to be the same size as Yu Na, judging from podium pictures. Could Zijun Li have been wearing skates but not Mao in that photo?
    Yes, Li is wearing skates. You can tell by the way they are standing - either that or Mao has VERY short legs, which she doesn't. I'd say Mao is about 5'4", slightly taller than Miki, but slightly shorter than Yuna.

vCash
    Mao is not slightly taller than ZiJun. IMO. She's considered tall for a lady skater. She was very thin as a junior skater, then gained a little weight during her mid-teens but then became very thin again, but she doesn't have the body of a 14 yr old.

vCash
    It's amazing how we all can look at the same thing but see so many different things! I never in a million years would have guessed Mao hasn't grown since 2005, nor that she's tall for a skater. lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast