Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    Not being a skater I don't understand why the 3a is so much more difficult than the 2a. To the untrained eye it is just one more revolution in the air. From TV commentary, I heard that the 3a does not require more jump height than the 2a, rather it is all about timing. If, however, it is a timing issue then I still don't understand why the 3a seems to be uniquely difficult since I would think timing is essential to every jump type.
    You say you want a revolution
    Well, you know
    We all want those bigger jumps
    You tell me that it's evolution
    Well, you know
    We all want those bigger jumps

But when you talk about added rotation
    Don't you know that you can count me out
    Don't you know it's gonna be all right (3x)

You say you got a real solution
    Well, you know
    We'd all love to see the plan
    You ask me for an ablution
    Well, you know
    We're doing what we can

But if you want hip surgery for girls that skate
    All I can tell you is brother you have to wait / Don't you know...

You say you'll change their constitution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change your head
    You tell me it's superstition
    Well, you know
    You'd better free your mind instead

But if you expect them to jump like Asada Mao
    You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow / Don't you know...
    All right, all right...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    Not being a skater I don't understand why the 3a is so much more difficult than the 2a. To the untrained eye it is just one more revolution in the air. From TV commentary, I heard that the 3a does not require more jump height than the 2a, rather it is all about timing. If, however, it is a timing issue then I still don't understand why the 3a seems to be uniquely difficult since I would think timing is essential to every jump type.
    Oh lawd, are you kidding me?? You don't have to be a skater to understand that each successive rotation is more difficult than the absolute difference of a single rotation. Just try to do a standing triple Axel.

And while height is not the defining difference between a double Axel and a triple Axel, a female skater who has a tiny 2A is never ever going to be able to do a 3A. She'd never manage to get the rotations in.

3A is an extremely difficult jump for both men and especially women. The timing and generation of strength required is also more difficult than most other jumps because of its forward, sweeping entry (i.e. no toe pick being dug into the ice for leverage.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234