Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Mom Sues Preschool for Not Prepping 4 Yr. Old for Elite University

We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    imagine how much she will sue for if Lucia becomes a stripper
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    19K? Dude, that's cheap.

vCash
    "Indeed, the school proved not to be a school at all, but just one big playroom," the suit says.
    Creating drama!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    That's disgusting! She paid $19000 for a school for her four year old, and they just let them play. Playing is for babies.

Oh! that poor little girl...
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Tiger Mom!!

vCash
    The Mother has a right to sue if the School misrepresented its activities for children.

On its website, York touts its music and physical education programs, weekly library trips, and French classes for four-year-olds.
    If they were promissed French lessons, the school should provide French lessons.... The school is "a business" and is subject to the same laws on false or deceptive advertising.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I think the parents just kept Lucia out getting into an "elite" university by looking like nut-bags.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I agree with Tinami. It's a business and if they didn't provide what they promised she has the right to complain.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    "French lessons" could mean they teach counting and colors in French... we did that at our cheapo church run daycare. Spanish too

vCash
    poor baby!

EDIT: I've started studying English at 4yrs, but an hour/week! but just singing colours&number in my normal public school

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I agree with Tinami. It's a business and if they didn't provide what they promised she has the right to complain.
    I agree. If they said specifically that they would be offering a certain service to 4 year olds, and she got lumped in with 2 year olds . . . there's a huge developmental difference. And it is telling that other nannies/moms were reluctant to speak in order to not hurt their own chances, as they put it. So clearly the school has a bit of a blackmail effect on these parents if they think saying anything negative means their kid won't pass the right test to get into a certain elementary school.

Where I have to is the fact that this one school, for one month, ruined this kid's chances to get into an Ivy League in 14 y ears. That's ridiculous (plus the $19k price).
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I agree. If they said specifically that they would be offering a certain service to 4 year olds, and she got lumped in with 2 year olds . . .
    Well, I agree that there might be a false advertising claim, but what if the girl is developmentally at a 2 year old stage and the mother is in denial? I have seen that happen before.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Well, I agree that there might be a false advertising claim, but what if the girl is developmentally at a 2 year old stage and the mother is in denial? I have seen that happen before.
    Sure, totally possible. Moms always think their kid is a genius. I'm just going on what the article states.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    My daughters pre-k is free. At this stage, I'm not at all concerned about where she will go to college. I'm not too concerned about my 8 year old either. I have so dropped the ball here!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I didn't get that the woman's daughter was singled out to be put in with two-year-olds. The problem seemed to be that the kids were supposed to have different curriculum based on age, but they were all put into one big room together because of construction, and the mother does not believe that the curriculum is demanding enough because of the lack of age separation.

At no point does anyone say that Lucia wasn't getting her French lessons or anything else that the website promises. Note what the lawyer says:

"They put a bunch of kids of different ages together and gave her some excuse about construction," Paulose said.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    My daughters pre-k is free. At this stage, I'm not at all concerned about where she will go to college. I'm not too concerned about my 8 year old either. I have so dropped the ball here!
    My goodness! What are you thinking? They will be so far behind, there's no possible way they can get into an Ivy.

p.s. This thread is providing some amusing relief from the Japan threads. So much sadness there, so much silliness in NYC.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I didn't get that the woman's daughter was singled out to be put in with two-year-olds. The problem seemed to be that the kids were supposed to have different curriculum based on age, but they were all put into one big room together because of construction, and the mother does not believe that the curriculum is demanding enough because of the lack of age separation.

At no point does anyone say that Lucia wasn't getting her French lessons or anything else that the website promises. Note what the lawyer says:

"They put a bunch of kids of different ages together and gave her some excuse about construction," Paulose said.
    I agree with the point that the mother did not get what she paid for, but I feel rather sorry for the child. It reminds me of a recent article that I read about the gifted program in my province's school system. They had a call from a mom who insisted that they put her unborn child's name on the enrolment list, because she just, "Knew that her child would be gifted".

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I agree with the point that the mother did not get what she paid for
    Mmm, I don't know about that. Just because the daughter was put in the same room with younger children doesn't mean that she wasn't taught the four-year-old curriculum. And again, no one has said that the child didn't get the things advertised on the school's site.

I'm not a big fan of the Daily News' reporting style; I'm sure that there is more to the story. But just based on what they have reported, I don't see any claim that the child was not given what was promised.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

...Her?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    How can you live with yourself?!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast