View Poll Results: Whose Performance Did You Enjoy Tonight (Multiple Choice Allowed)

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thia Megia

18 29.03%
  • Stefano Langone

9 14.52%
  • Scott McCreery

16 25.81%
  • Pia Toscano

28 45.16%
  • Paul McDonald

6 9.68%
  • Naima Adedapo

5 8.06%
  • Lauren Alaina

21 33.87%
  • James Durbin

34 54.84%
  • Jacob Lusk

10 16.13%
  • Haley Reinhart

31 50.00%
  • Casey Abrams

41 66.13%
  • Could You Feel The Love Tonight?

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I always thought Thia had this dazed, bewildered look through most of her experience on AI. I don't think that helped her...
    Very true. And I'm still kinda at "Charlie Chapman?" That probably didn't win her any points with the grown-up fans. I agree that with some grooming she could certainly be a Broadway success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    The difference between Adele/Ruben and Thia is that Adele/Ruben sang with confidence whereas Thia didn not look comfortable on stage.
    I'm not sure there's that big a difference when you look at both Adele's and Ruben's early performances. In any event, I would guess that Thia will have more confidence by the time she's their ages. I just don't see the need to conclude that Thia should give up on a singing career at the ripe old age of 16, which is what rfisher said she should do.

vCash
    The difference between Adele/Ruben and Thia is that Adele/Ruben sang with confidence whereas Thia didn not look comfortable on stage.
    I thought she looked confident & comfortable on Jay Leno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I'm not sure there's that big a difference when you look at both Adele's and Ruben's early performances. In any event, I would guess that Thia will have more confidence by the time she's their ages. I just don't see the need to conclude that Thia should give up on a singing career at the ripe old age of 16, which is what rfisher said she should do.
    Thia should be a recording artist, not a performer. I think you either have confidence or you don't. I've seen younger artists have more confidence than Thia.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I thought she looked confident & comfortable on Jay Leno.
    Maybe the pressure of the competition is off.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I think 16 is a little too soon to be writing her off!
    Absolutely. I saw some YouTube videos from America's Got Talent with her and it was obvious she's changed since then. And it's been only one year. She is growing up and evolving. Even her voice got better. Now it's just flawless. I think she sang at David Foster's concert/benefit for something. People in the industry are aware of her. I think someone will offer her some kind a deal. Her voice is that exceptional.

Plus, clearly, performing ability and "acting" is in the eye of the beholder. There are lots of people who can't stand the way Paul acts on stage.
    I'm one of them. I think his schtick is appalling. And his voice is thin. I wouldn't pay 50 cents to see him in a concert. I would pay to see Thia.

As for Haley getting a clue, she is not only older than Thia, but IMO, is bordering on the ridiculous the way she performs on stage.
    They told Casey to stop growling and her to growl a lot more. Now she can't stop. Her solo in Teenage Dream was horrendous. Too bad, because I think that she does have a nice voice. She just doesn't know what to do with it.

Ruben won the AI title without doing much more in terms of "acting."
    Yep. Btw, he's evolved too. He was touring with Clay last summer and all I can say that Ruben is awesome. His voice is amazing, he has a great personality; sense of humor; he's quick-witted and good at ad-lib. Was it all apparent on Idol? Not really.

IMO, it's a bit soon for you to conclude that Thia needs to pursue a non-singing career.
    ITA. Some people are still trying at 30, and she's only 16. She has a lot of time.

Thia should be a recording artist, not a performer. I think you either have confidence or you don't. I've seen younger artists have more confidence than Thia.
    "Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the strawberries knows nothing about grapes." (Paracelsus)

I don't think her problem was the lack of confidence. I think her problem was not connecting with the audience.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I don't think her problem was the lack of confidence. I think her problem was not connecting with the audience.
    Which is precisely why the audience didn't vote for her as opposed to Haley, Pia or Lauren. Nor did they vote for her on AGT. It really doesn't matter how good your voice is if nobody buys your records or attends your concerts. If the audience votes were record sales, she didn't make it. There are loads of extremely talented singers who have washed out as performers. I don't think it's her age. Justin Beiber is younger, not nearly as good a vocalist, and is selling like hotcakes. Taylor Swift doesn't sing nearly as well, or even God forbid, Miley Cyrus who really doesn't sing as well. Yet all three have something that makes tweens and teens shell out $$$$$ for the crap they put out. Thia doesn't have that something. It's too bad, but that's just the way the business works. If I were a producer, I'd think hmmmm....she's had two national TV opportunites and the audience just didn't buy into it. I'd look elsewhere for someone who was going to make me $$$$$. But, then what do I know.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    rfisher you can't seem to let go of this vendetta against her, maybe she has a dog you can run over
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Which is precisely why the audience didn't vote for her as opposed to Haley, Pia or Lauren.
    This is just getting silly. The first couple of weeks of voting, Haley was in the bottom three and Thia wasn't, so clearly more people were voting for Thia than for Haley at that point. Haley didn't suddenly developing an acting ability (and if she did that's proof that you shouldn't assume Thia can't do the same.)

It's just baffling to me that you think that Thia's target audience is the same audience as Justin Bieber's audience and that a failure to appeal to the tweenyboppers is a sign that she should not seek a singing career as an adult? Seriously?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I haven't watched since the auditions, so I went and took a look at a bunch of the songs from this week. My favorites were Paul and Naima, by far. Paul's version of Rocket Man would fit easily on the alternative radio station I listen to. I would buy that single. And Naima managed to take a song I can't separate from the goofy video and give it some weight. Too bad it sounds like Naima's gone now - but when I looked at some of her other performances it seems this was the only week she was in tune the whole time

I also really enjoyed Scotty, Pia and Lauren. Casey was eh, hated Haley and Thia. I can't remember any other performances.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    rfisher you can't seem to let go of this vendetta against her, maybe she has a dog you can run over
    This is just getting silly. The first couple of weeks of voting, Haley was in the bottom three and Thia wasn't, so clearly more people were voting for Thia than for Haley at that point. Haley didn't suddenly developing an acting ability (and if she did that's proof that you shouldn't assume Thia can't do the same.)

It's just baffling to me that you think that Thia's target audience is the same audience as Justin Bieber's audience and that a failure to appeal to the tweenyboppers is a sign that she should not seek a singing career as an adult? Seriously?
    I don't have a vendetta against her. I couldn't care less who wins AI or what type of career any of the contestents has. I wouldn't go see any of them or buy their records. I was just responding to replies to my post.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I haven't watched since the auditions, so I went and took a look at a bunch of the songs from this week. My favorites were Paul and Naima, by far. Paul's version of Rocket Man would fit easily on the alternative radio station I listen to. I would buy that single. And Naima managed to take a song I can't separate from the goofy video and give it some weight. Too bad it sounds like Naima's gone now - but when I looked at some of her other performances it seems this was the only week she was in tune the whole time

I also really enjoyed Scotty, Pia and Lauren. Casey was eh, hated Haley and Thia. I can't remember any other performances.
    Paul apparently has quite a following among people who listen to alternative radio from what I gather from some of my students and my hairstylist. In fact, he's the only one the students seem to like.

vCash
    Stefano had nice vocals but the arrangement was very muzak-y. James's performance seemed like Adam Lambert-lite. But then I went and watched his Judas Priest performance and HOLEEEE SHIT!!!! That was amazing.

ETA: Jacob's was the only one I hadn't seen - I love his voice! Also loved his and Naima's performance of Ashford & Simpson's "Solid"
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    anyone else think Disney might be checking out Thia? She's the right age, has a decent voice, and looks like a Disney Princess. Gorgeous smile!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    anyone else think Disney might be checking out Thia? She's the right age, has a decent voice, and looks like a Disney Princess. Gorgeous smile!
    My thought exactly while reading this thread.

My daughter has a tape of all her old favorite Disney musical songs and we listened to it on a long car trip this morning. Thia has a Judy Kuhn-like voice, actually. She's too shy to carry a show like Miley whatsherface but there's a place for her somewhere, I just love her voice.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think Thia would fit in perfectly over at Disney but she might be a little too old. I think they would prefer to start with someone with is 13 or 14 so they have more years to work with them. They may fear that while Thia is a perfect age right now, will be she any use to them or want to do the Disney thing when she is 18?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I'm really sorry now that Casey was saved last week. That would have kept either Naima or Thia on the show, at least another week. I find Naima interesting & I think Thia has a beautiful voice & I would like to see her develop. One of them didn't really deserve to go home. And I'm getting tired of the girls always getting the ax.

I keep hoping that vote for the worst will get tired of Paul & quit voting for him. He's the one who deserved to go home. I don't think he would have made the top 13 if he hadn't done Blackbird with Kendra & then ironically she didn't make it. I felt like she carried him on that song. He seems to be a likable guy but his voice is very weak.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I don't have a vendetta against her. I couldn't care less who wins AI or what type of career any of the contestents has.
    Is that why every third post in this thread is yours?

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I figured that Paul was still on the show because he's cute and has a nice smile. I had no idea that he was adored by the alt music crowd.

genevieve, look for James' performance of Maybe I'm Amazed. Almost as good as his Judas Priest number, and demonstrating in spades that he isn't just a one trick pony.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ETA: Jacob's was the only one I hadn't seen - I love his voice! Also loved his and Naima's performance of Ashford & Simpson's "Solid"
    Are you taking prescription narcotics, perhaps? Or maybe I am? Because I must be watching a totally different show.

I downloaded James "Baby I'm Amazed" and "Saturday Night." His voice is a little thin when he hits the higher notes, but they are both good recordings. I wish they'd pumped up the guitars on "Saturday Night," though. They're sort of wimpy.

vCash
    I started watching Baby I'm Amazed and turned it off halfway I'm not crazy about that song to begin with, and it seemed like a pretty straighforward cover.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast