Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Nora needs to just toughen up! [Here at FSU,] Slutie was pregnant for a full four years, give-or-take, and she barely missed a beat.

But, seriously, I hope this is just a one-time, very short-time (read: completely okay by May) incident for Nora.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Isn't there a pancreatitis - gall bladder disease connection? Think so.
    Gallstones can cause pancreatitis.

Hope she gets better (and is able to compete at Worlds) but yikes that they had to go in and take a look.

vCash
    My goodness! So many different diagnosis! I hope it is not serious.

Nora has the worst luck when it comes to competitions! And I'm not even counting his partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am talking about the usual suspects and pancreatitis is not one of them in a young woman with acute abdominal pain.
    It depends on one's health history and symptoms. While pancreatitis is mostly caused by alcoholism (statistically), it's just one of those things that can happen to anyone. I had it in my 20s, and I don't drink nor smoke at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iris81 View Post
    http://www.baltinfo.ru/2011/03/30/Uc...-Moskve-196099
    More news about Nora. Gorshkov told she is on antibiotics now and doctors suspect pyelonephritis (they did laparoscopy).
    iris81 - thank you for the info!

I just checked the definition of this - here is what it says

Pyelonephritis is an ascending urinary tract infection that has reached the pyelum (pelvis) of the kidney, usually treated with antibiotics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha Miller View Post
    It depends on one's health history and symptoms. While pancreatitis is mostly caused by alcoholism (statistically), it's just one of those things that can happen to anyone. I had it in my 20s, and I don't drink nor smoke at all.
    Anything can happen to anyone. But as I've said, pancreatitis is unlikely and anyway, it seems to be off the table as a possible diagnosis.

Just because something statistically unlikely happened to you or to someone you know, it doesn't mean necessarily it's happening to Nora. Any of the differential diagnoses is a possibility but when the picture is not clear and you have a choice as to which one to pursue first, you need to rely on the odds.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Anything can happen to anyone. But as I've said, pancreatitis is unlikely and anyway, it seems to be off the table as a possible diagnosis.

Just because something statistically unlikely happened to you or to someone you know, it doesn't mean necessarily it's happening to Nora. Any of the differential diagnoses is a possibility but when the picture is not clear and you have a choice as to which one to pursue first, you need to rely on the odds.
    I am not sure you are insisting on being right in this case... But as I said, the symptoms is what drives the diagnosis, not the "odds"

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha Miller View Post
    I am not sure you are insisting on being right in this case... But as I said, the symptoms is what drives the diagnosis, not the "odds"
    It's actually both. It's something medical students learn the hard way.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    In pyelonephritis you'd usually have a positive urine (for UTI) with flank pain, fever vomiting etc. Pancreatitis is generally abd pain radiating to the back, in children and presumably younger adults trauma is the #1 cause rather than alcoholism.

I don't get why they did a lap unless they really thought appendicitis? But CT scans are generally sensitive if the ultrasound doesn't show the appendix...

Then there's pelvic inflammatory disease (you get cervical motion tenderness on pelvic exam) and ovarian torsion, but that can be ruled out by pelvic ultrasound...

A pregnancy test would be the very first thing done and presumably was negative.

Hope Nora recovers soon.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    In pyelonephritis you'd usually have a positive urine (for UTI) with flank pain, fever vomiting etc. Pancreatitis is generally abd pain radiating to the back, in children and presumably younger adults trauma is the #1 cause rather than alcoholism.

I don't get why they did a lap unless they really thought appendicitis? But CT scans are generally sensitive if the ultrasound doesn't show the appendix...
    I don't get that either. The article did mention that her labs were "bad" whatever that means. What labs and how are they bad?
    Then there's pelvic inflammatory disease (you get cervical motion tenderness on pelvic exam) and ovarian torsion, but that can be ruled out by pelvic ultrasound...
    PID and ectopic pregnancy are the first things that come to mind. Do they even have ultrasound available at every ER? For instance about 10 years ago I was told that there was only one or two ultrasound machines available in the whole city of Kiev. Hope things have changed since then.
    A pregnancy test would be the very first thing done and presumably was negative.
    I was taught that all women of childbearing age are ectopically pregnant until proven otherwise.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    iris81 - thank you for the info!

I just checked the definition of this - here is what it says

Pyelonephritis is an ascending urinary tract infection that has reached the pyelum (pelvis) of the kidney, usually treated with antibiotics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had this a number of years ago. It was very painful, but the antibiotics they gave me were almost worse. They made me so sick I couldn't eat anything but apple sauce (and then it was touch and go) for a week.

Hopefully Nora won't have the same reaction and will be better for Worlds.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    For instance about 10 years ago I was told that there was only one or two ultrasound machines available in the whole city of Kiev. Hope things have changed since then.
    Kiev is in a different country.

vCash
    Oh no! Get well Nora, FSU's latest Gay Icon must pull through!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    Kiev is in a different country.
    You don't say!!!

from Speedy Death

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    My goodness! So many different diagnosis!
    True! I am sure all Botkins' docs are reading FSU right now .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Whatever it is I hope she recovers, she is the only reason my husband sits with me to watch ice danging.
    Sorry, this made me .

Update in Hungarian:

Ice dancer in hospital

http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli...iengedtek.html

Last night, Nora Hoffmann was taken to the hospital in Moscow - she is currently training in the Russian capital with her partner Maxim Zavozin for the upcoming world figure skating championships starting on the 25th Arpil.

According to the Russian News Agency, she was taken to the infectology department, where different lab tests were made. Her doctors believed it was food poisoning or pancreatitis.

Sándor Nagy, head of the ice dance department of the Hungarian Figure Skating Association told us that she was taken to the hospital with stomach pains, but she was released soon after. "It turned out that it only was indigestion, and their preparation won't severly be influenced by this incident" he said.

Whatever is true, I hope she is all right. I never got taken to the hospital with indigestion before.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    You don't say!!!
    Well, then imagine that someone is hospitalized in Miami, and people start comparing the standard of medical care there and in Trinidad and Tobago 10 years ago You get my drift.

vCash
    Excellent guesses! When I think of pancreatitis, I think of chronic alcoholism and not of Nora Hoffman.
    My classmate died of pancreatitis in 23. Needless to say she didn't drink. Doctors' diagnosis were those you offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunaonlyhope View Post
    It could be colitis or crohn's disease, in which case her training may be quite a bit hampered.
    Crohn's disease has different symptoms.

For instance about 10 years ago I was told that there was only one or two ultrasound machines available in the whole city of Kiev.
    First Moscow is not Kiev. those are different capitals of different countries with different income levels.
    Second Nora is hospitalized to the best hospital in Moscow. They have everything that a modern hospital needs.
    Third I don't know what's in Kiev now but in Moscow there are ultrasound machines in every clinic, I don't even mention hospitals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post

Whatever is true, I hope she is all right. I never got taken to the hospital with indigestion before.
    I was a couple of times. Depends on your gastro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    I was a couple of times. Depends on your gastro.
    Seems that Judge Judy may have been today, as well. Take to the hospital because of indigestion, I mean.

As for Nora, my first instinct would have been her appendix (almost everyone I've known who has gone to the ER for intense abdominal pain that wasn't child birth ended up losing an appendix that night) but that seems to be something they figure out pretty quickly. I know with my mom they were able to tell us within a few hours what it was, and then whisk her off to surgery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast